Royal PDC Review- LOTS of PICS

I canâ€t believe it is time for me to do my wedding review. We got married on Friday Nov. 21, 2008 at the Royal in PDC. We had 31 of our friends and family join us for the event. It was the best day of our lives! My wish is that all of you will have the same glorious time at your wedding. Please PM me if you have any questions or want any additional information.

Here is a link to my planning thread for more details:

http://bestdestinationwedding.com/forum/t31915

Royal Overview:

Highly recommend. Perfect location which made the trip most enjoyable for the guests and for us too. The fact that it is steps away from downtown PDC is awesome. It is an adorable little town. The Royal beach is big and beautiful, although the WCs told me that the beach size changes month to month due to the tides. Service is amazing, rooms are spacious and lovely, pools are divine. Wedding accommodations are great. The food was good. Some really good, some average, some ok. Spice is the buffet….always great for breakfast (my favorite meal) and lunch. Dinner options are Asiana (just ok), Pellicanos (outdoor…nice ambiance, ok food), Maria Marieâ€s (need reservation but the best food in our opinion), Chefâ€s Plate (need reservation and a prix fix menu, but very good), and also a Tapas restaurant that we didnâ€t try. We ate at the Italian restaurant and Mexican restaurant at the Gran Porto and they were ok. We had an ocean view room and did not get the upgrade based on availability. We loved our room. 297. Some guests who had rooms on the ground floor that opened to the pool area were really cool too.

Click the image to open in full size.

Wedding Events:

Guests arrived on Thursday afternoon.

Thursday night- Welcome cocktails at Lobby Bar at 9pm. This was awesome and I highly recommend everyone do it as it is just a great way for all the guests to meet each other and get to know each other better. Itâ€s free for us. As it turns out, about half of our guests all met up for dinner at Pellicanoâ€s before which was fun.

Friday, 11:30am, Went to salon to have hair styled by Jesu. I loved it and it looked even better than the picture I showed her. I did my own makeup. I do highly recommend a trial run, which we did the day before.

2:00pm – Photographer (Cecilia Dumas-yay!) and (Cancun Wedding Videos, Jerry-YAY) arrived to take pics of me in the room getting ready.

2:45-3:00 - Steve and I walked around town with Jerry and Cecilia getting pics made. It was so fun and some of my favorite pics are from here. I would highly recommend making time for this in your wedding day.

More in next post.......

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Continued from previous post)

Wedding, 4pm. – Wedding in Gazebo. I loved the gazebo. It was ‘semiprivate†and I thought decorated so pretty. The WCs had no problem hanging all the paper lanterns for us. I had given them specific details on the bouquet and centerpiece and I loved the way they turned out. I am also so glad I brought the aisle runner and sand ceremony.

4:30-5:30pm- Cocktail reception with horderves in the garden in front of the gazebo (guests said the food was great). Mariachi played for 45 min and then they played a CD we had given them.

This is where the guests picked up their name cards for the reception.

In the pic below, you can see the cocktail tables set up in the background.

During the cocktail reception (we chose the menu when we arrived at the Royal the day before) Steve and I took pics on the beach and around the resort. We didn't actually participate in the cocktail hour, but the guests loved it.

More in next post......

Here are more of the pics we took on the beach while the guests were enjoying the cocktail hour.

6:00-10:30pm - Reception was all set up on the beach behind the gazebo and looked lovely….but it rained for about 30 min. at the end of the cocktail reception and everything had to be moved inside. I was really upset at first as we were really excited for an outdoor reception, but honestly I donâ€t think it could have been any more fun or more lovely as it was in the ballroom. The guests were outside for the wedding, cocktails, and we had drinks at the lobby bar as they were setting up the ballroom, so there was a lot of 'movement'...but felt very natural. It was perfect! The food at the reception was the best we had while we were at the Royal. We did a buffet style to promote conversation. Highly recommend the Tres Leches cake. Some said it was the best wedding cake they had ever had! Yummy. They made the centerpieces just as I had asked.

Continued in next post.....

DJ- DJ Mannia, Carlos AMAZING!!! He was so fantastic. You should absolutely book him!!!!!!!!!!!! He played everything we asked and was open to guests requests….just perfect! He was awesome. Can't say enough great things about him. In the pic below, you can see the balloons he hands out...so fun. You'll also see I changed into my mom's wedding dress from 1969!

Saturday brunch, Spice 10am. – This was so fun for everyone to get together the morning after the wedding. Just go early and they will move tables together for you. Again, a no cost option for you and a fun event for the guests.

Trash the Dress - We did this a few days after the wedding and these are just the teaser pics, Cecilia sent us. Can't wait to see all of them. I got this dress to simulate my real dress from Ebay.

Vendors not yet reviewed:

Photography- Cecilia Dumas. AMAZING!!! We love our pictures. Have a look and decide for yourselves! She is a doll and so fantastic to work with. Couldnâ€t have asked for better! FABULOUS!!!!

Videography- Cancun Wedding Video, Jerry was great! He was so easy to work with and worked fantastically with Cecilia. He was so accommodating and unobtrusive. I canâ€t wait to see the video. I hope it will be wonderful and feel sure it will.

Ajua Weddings- guitar and mariachi. I worked with Stephanie who made everything very easy and I know we saved money booking the musicians through them rather than going directly thru the Royal. The guitarist played about 20 min while the guests were arriving in the reception and then played ‘Cannon in D†as the mothers were seated, ‘You are the Sunshine of my Life†as the groom entered and ‘Over the Rainbow†as I walked down the aisle. The mariachi was supposed to play as we walked back down the aisle after they pronounced us husband and wife, but they werenâ€t there?!?! So the guitarist played and the mariachi came walking up about 5 min. later as we were all doing a champagne toast. It was perfect. They played for 45 min. during the cocktail hour.

Lounge Furniture and Chair Rental – Cancun Events and Weddings- Well, I think this was probably a waste of money since our reception had to be moved inside. It would have been worth it on the beach though.

Royal Wedding Coordinator, Micaela- As you fellow Royal brides know, communication prior to arriving at the Royal was slim, but once we got there we had her full attention. Micaela worked so hard to make sure all the little details were perfect and they were! She was a pleasure to work with.

Veronicaâ€s Massage- This is in downtown Playa and myself and many of the guests had massages while we were there…..only $30 for one hour and they are better than many of the $100+ massages I have had in the US!! Canâ€t beat it!

Please PM me if you have any questions. Many thanks to you all and all the best to each of you as you plan your special day!

Katy (BridetoBe22)