Funny question to those who have been to Cabo...

okay, here is what i found about hurricane season/weather in cabo:

The stretch of land immediate south of California between the Pacific Ocean and the Gulf of California is Baja California, Mexico ("Baja" means "Lower.") The weather here can be divided into two distinct categories: hot deserts and cooler near the oceans. Arid or semiarid conditions are present on the Baja Peninsula and rainy days are rare outside of the 'rainy season' September through December, which is why many golfers come here to play. Storms that do occur in summertime are short, but most of them pass by to the south. Summers are quite warm with very little humidity; winters have near perfect weather. June through September is hurricane season, but hurricanes on the Pacific are much less likely than storms on the Gulf of Mexico.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone is wondering I have been to Acapulco in August, Riviera Maya in January and Acapulco and Cancun in March and it humid in all those places except for Rivera Maya. It wasn't too bad. But the other locations had high humidity.

For anyone that hates their curly hair (and I'm talking about someone that never wears it curly they blow dry it all the time) I cannot recommend thermal reconditioning a.k.a. japanese straightening enough. My hair is extremely thick and curly and I got it done years ago and it is a miracle. It is to hair what contacts was to people who wore thick glasses. It makes your hair permanently straight. It could be 180% humidity and your hair will not frizz. Not even one single curl. It is the greatest thing ever but I would only recommend this to people who like having straight hair 24/7 and never like having curls or waves.

-Glenda

p.s if you do this you can have curls by using a curling iron but you won't have your natural curl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvpbride View Post
I totally agree with Natasha. The humidity will be much higher in August because of hurricane season. We were there last August & it was REALLY humid.

I'm also concerned about my hair, so I'm going to do a trial run with my hairdresser here in late July (when it's also ridiculously hot & humid in TX). :)
hijacked.gif
Make sure you do your trial at roughly the same time as you will have your hair done for your wedding and wear it all day and night. You will want to pay attention to how you do with the pins (do they start to hurt), etc. I actually went to a trial and they were going to take it down after they did it! I'm so glad I left it in because, five hours in, my head HURT. When I went in for the actual thing, I made sure I told them about it and we were super cautious with every pin (and, thus, had no pain).

My company deals with hurricanes so I'm going to add a little bit to this thread.

Over the last three years (probably more) there has been a change in the hurricane/tropical storm trends. The most treacherous storms have hit the East (Florida/Cancun/Carribean, etc.) from late September through to the last week of October. Hurricane season technically runs from June 1st to November 30. It's much shorter in Cabo.

Cabo gets fewer storms, but they, too, are hitting August through the end of October.

A note about Cabo - typically, the hurricanes don't actually hit Cabo - but they do threaten it about 2 - 3 times in that August to October period. They, instead, turn into tropical storms just before they hit. Cabo recovers very quickly from these storms - especially the corridor. We went right after one last September and, while the streets were really muddy (and sometimes missing some pavement on the side) between the airport and our hotel and some of the hotels still had tape on the windows, it was hardly noticeable and we drove a rental car. I think Cabo had two or three major storms. One at the end of August, one in September, and the last was mid/end of October.

They're predicting 17 named storms this year (5 hurricanes). Last year I think we had 10 named storms and 5 hurricanes. We were under the number of named storms but I think they accurately forecasted the number of hurricanes. Most of those hit in the Atlantic - none hit the US.

Don't panic! But this is good info to have.

If you are getting married in August-October, negotiate a contingency plan with your venue. Don't let them limit it to hurricanes - you need to include tropical storms because if a hurricane is looming that turns into a storm but none of your guests could travel because it was a threat of a tropical storm - you're out the money. Also, advise your guests to get travel insurance and make sure it covers storms.

I was in Cabo the past two years in Aug- the first week and then the second week. Yes IT IS HOT. But I have extremely curly hair and I had no problem at all. (And when I lived in Atlanta my hair was a nightmare.) Other than when there are hurricanes, you have to remember that Cabo is really in the desert. Its dry.