What is the average % off when buying a sample wedding gown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslamoradaBride View Post
My dress had a list price of $3,100 and I got it for $900. I personally would not pay more than 50 percent of the list price, unless it was a brand-new sample that had never been tried on. (And I'm not sure those exist, or would be for sale!)
Supposedly, according to the lady who sold me my dress (which is a sample gown), mine had only been tried on a "few" times and she said it was "brand new" to the store...when I asked about getting some $$ knocked off, she said they couldn't...did I just get totally scammed?? sad.gif

it varies... i bought my TTD dress from David's Bridal off the rack discontinued for $625 from $1100..so about 50%

i went to a bridal salon that sold ONLY designer dresses and saw $4,000 Ulla Majia-Anna Maier gowns for $500. I also saw some Vera Wang for $1999 from $6,000. but there were old, tried on so many times, and often times Ivory instead of white. most are also discontinued.

the same store is having a $499, $999, $1499 special---meaning ALL gowns are priced with one of the three. FANTASTIC prices for gowns originally $5,000 and more!!!

i was offered a Monique Lhuillier gown that was discontinued from a previous season for 50% off---brand new and excellent condition.

rule of thumb for samples--- no less that 50% off the regular price and highest (i've seen) is 85% off. this was the trend when i looked at dresses. the selection i've looked at were designer gowns like Vera Wang, Monique Lhuillier, Rivini, Melissa Sweet, Reem Acra, etc. i'm not sure if the same percentages apply to non-designer gowns.

hope this helps!

At teh very same store I had 2 very different price points. One was $99 (regular $1000) but on the 'sample sale' rack because it was old stock (still in great shape though - notthing torn or missing). I bought it on a lark because it had feathers and I was originally thinking we may have a cool lounge area set up for after dinner (when we were havign our wedding at home). The dress I bought for my actual DW wedding was brand new, but still a sample and the best they would do was 30% off.

I kind of feel I got ripped off if everyone else is getting 50% off :-( Oh well, I love it and I could not find a single store that carried it (in Manitoba, Minnesota, North Dakota or eBay) so they had me at their mercy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraisobeachbride2009 View Post
Supposedly, according to the lady who sold me my dress (which is a sample gown), mine had only been tried on a "few" times and she said it was "brand new" to the store...when I asked about getting some $$ knocked off, she said they couldn't...did I just get totally scammed?? sad.gif
Hey Kathy,

I am in Edmonton as well - I bought a sample dress from a bridal store and was told EXACTLY the same thing... she finally moved to a measly 10% off!

Unfortunately, I pulled it out the other day (I have had it since August) and can clearly see that the dress has been tried on MANY more times than what the sales person had suggested... It is my own fault for not checking it over more closely when I picked it up... Fortunately, the areas that have suffered are more or less along the bottom of the dress that will be removed when hemmed...

I am still VERY happy with my dress and not too upset with what I paid... I wish though I had my head on my shoulders more when I actually bought it... instead it was in the clouds!!

Jenn