Jump to content

Photo

disposable underwater cameras?


  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#11 MsShelley

MsShelley

    VIP Member

  • VIP Member
  • 10,366 posts

    Posted 16 March 2008 - 03:22 PM

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DougsGirl
    Shelley, this weekend I found a REAL digital camera that works and actually has settings for underwater pictures, for less than $300. I think you are probably looking for a "one-time use" kind of a thing, but just in case I thought I'd let you know. It was at Best Buy, and I'm trying to find the brand for you.. BRB..
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DougsGirl
    OK here it is. I'm actually getting it for Doug for his wedding present :)
    Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
    Olympus Stylus 790SW 7.1MP Waterproof Digital Camera with Dual Image Stabilized 3x Optical Zoom (Orange)
    7.1-megapixel CCD captures enough detail for photo-quality 15 x 20-inch prints
    2.5-inch HyperCrystal LCD screen minimizes glare
    3x optical zoom; Face Detection technology
    Waterproof (down to 10 feet), freeze-proof, and crush-proof design
    27 Shooting modes; in-camera editing options


    yes, thank you Abbie, I am looking for a one time use, I know I won't use it that much and I still want a brand new digital camera

    #12 JUSTUSTWO

    JUSTUSTWO

      VIP Member

    • VIP Member
    • 12,193 posts

      Posted 16 March 2008 - 03:24 PM

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by MsShelley
      omg, what a blonde, I can get a picture cd, lol, I was thinking all I would have are pictures. See how long its been since I developed film?
      LMAO...No worries, you're not alone! I tried to hide my excitement when he told me I could get the cd. I thought I'd have to print a ton of pics to share with family!

      #13 Kristin113

      Kristin113
      • Newbie
      • 72 posts

        Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:28 PM

        Hey... I just wanted to let everyone know that I was able to get 20 underwater Fuji cameras on ebay for only $2.25 each. The seller I bought them from now has a listing of 15 Kodak underwater camers for $49, it's a little more expensive than what I paid but you could try contacting them to see if they have others.

        http://cgi.ebay.com/....QQcmdZViewItem

        #14 jean-marcus

        jean-marcus
        • Sr. Member
        • 1,565 posts

          Posted 16 March 2008 - 08:28 PM

          i know ive offered this advice in a few other threads.....

          the disposables are fun and cheap but the photos never really turn out that great for a couple reasons....

          1. they are disposable and cheap hahaha. they use 800 speed film which will be a little grainier to begin with and have small plastic lenses and an extra plastic shield in the housing.

          2. they use FILM... which is going to become fogged slightly in the x-rays. its going to be scanned atleast twice by the time you get home. maybe more. and 800 speed film will be effected a little by each x-ray.


          i know it costs more but its SOOOO WORTH IT to get something like this housing in the picture below. its about 150 for the housing but its waterproof to up to like 100 plus feet and its made exactly for your camera. (you have to research to make sure that it will fit your point and shoot model). its glass lenses in both the camera lens and the housing and you dont have to worry about anything being scanned by xrays. plus saltwater can really do some damage on the mechanicals of the camera by getting into the zoom parts of the lens and become abrasive .

          plus you can also do video


          just remember not to expect the best quality photos from the disposable ones but they are still none the less lots of fun :)
          Click the image to open in full size.

          #15 rodent

          rodent

            VIP Member

          • VIP Member
          • 18,759 posts

            Posted 16 March 2008 - 08:38 PM

            You can send your film/ cameras to snapfish & they mail you the pictures & post them online.

            I'd definitly get one of the cases jean marcus posted if I was in the water enough. I really think that is the way to go if you use it enough. My friend scubas & has a case like that. I hope she can make it to my wedding :)

            #16 jean-marcus

            jean-marcus
            • Sr. Member
            • 1,565 posts

              Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:49 PM

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Morgan

              I'd definitly get one of the cases jean marcus posted if I was in the water enough. I really think that is the way to go if you use it enough. My friend scubas & has a case like that. I hope she can make it to my wedding :)
              its not even about that half the time... just going to the beach or the pool or to a messy bar party or whatever. its just great cause you dont have to worry about even getting a drink splashed on it..

              #17 rodent

              rodent

                VIP Member

              • VIP Member
              • 18,759 posts

                Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:59 PM

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by jean-marcus
                its not even about that half the time... just going to the beach or the pool or to a messy bar party or whatever. its just great cause you dont have to worry about even getting a drink splashed on it..
                true. I do take my camera hiking a lot. Hmm, I might put it on the wish list. It would be nice to have when we are just hanging out at the hotel pool.

                I had thought about buying a bunch of disposables, but I think I would prefer to buy 1 case & just share my camera when we snorkel. I'd get more milage out of it.

                #18 becks

                becks

                  VIP

                • VIP Member
                • 4,881 posts
                • Wedding Date:August 9, 2008
                • Wedding Location:Riviera Maya
                • LocationNew York

                Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:30 AM

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by DougsGirl
                OK here it is. I'm actually getting it for Doug for his wedding present :)
                Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
                Olympus Stylus 790SW 7.1MP Waterproof Digital Camera with Dual Image Stabilized 3x Optical Zoom (Orange)
                7.1-megapixel CCD captures enough detail for photo-quality 15 x 20-inch prints
                2.5-inch HyperCrystal LCD screen minimizes glare
                3x optical zoom; Face Detection technology
                Waterproof (down to 10 feet), freeze-proof, and crush-proof design
                27 Shooting modes; in-camera editing options
                Abbie:

                I'll share one of life's lessons, learned the hard way. When they say 10 feet. They mean 10 FEET!! I bought something like this thinking oh, 10 feet, so if I'm snorkeling, and I dive down to take a picture of the pretty coral formation "right down there" it will be fine. Nope. Cracked the casing, ruined it, ruined the memory card, everything. And the store wouldn't take it back because I'd taken it to about 12 feet. A deep swimming pool can actually damage it.

                You're much better off with the casing that Jean Marcus suggests - it will go to 25-50 feet depending what you buy, which is good enough for any snorkeling, and if you get a 50-footer should work for shallow scuba trips.

                Happily married since 2008

                Allurements by Rebecca - Destination Wedding Invitations and more


                #19 ACDCDCAC

                ACDCDCAC
                • Moderators
                • 25,218 posts
                • Wedding Location:Santa Maria Bay Beach, Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
                • LocationSeattle

                Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:04 AM

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by becks
                Abbie:

                I'll share one of life's lessons, learned the hard way. When they say 10 feet. They mean 10 FEET!! I bought something like this thinking oh, 10 feet, so if I'm snorkeling, and I dive down to take a picture of the pretty coral formation "right down there" it will be fine. Nope. Cracked the casing, ruined it, ruined the memory card, everything. And the store wouldn't take it back because I'd taken it to about 12 feet. A deep swimming pool can actually damage it.

                You're much better off with the casing that Jean Marcus suggests - it will go to 25-50 feet depending what you buy, which is good enough for any snorkeling, and if you get a 50-footer should work for shallow scuba trips.
                Wow Rebecca, that is good to know! Mostly I am getting this one for Doug because it is waterproof, but not for the underwater properties of that, just for the near the pool, bar etc type of stuff in life. I don't think Doug will really ever use it much for snorkeling or what not, maybe just in the pool, but then, not diving and taking pics but just bobbing under and snapping shots of his daughter doing pool tricks or whatever. I'm just looking at it like it's just a cool camera, with water-resistant properties.

                #20 Dbell

                Dbell
                • Jr. Member
                • 455 posts

                  Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:08 AM

                  Wow, thanks Jean Marcus for the info. Food for thought!




                  0 user(s) are reading this topic

                  0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users