Excellence Playa Mujeres Brides Post Here!

We were married on May 23 and it was extremely hot. I bought a really cute pashmina and didn't use it at all on the wedding day or honeymoon.

In terms of menu, we created our own. We searched TripAdvisor for what food people liked best and we offered our guests a choice of the duck from Chez Isabelle, sea bass from Chez Isabelle and mushroom risotto from Toscana. The food was a big hit!

Hello Ladies,

I was married at EPM on May 28, 2011. Everything was wonderful and you will not be disappointed! I got a lot of great information from this site even though I really didn't post much, so I will return the favor. Yamina was still working there then and I am surprised that she is no longer there.  When I first decided on a destination wedding at EPM there was another wedding coordinator working there that had awesome reviews so I was nervous when Yamina took over.  You shouldn't worry, I'm sure they will have a very capable replacement.  I know it's hard to plan from so far away.  I assume all of their options will stay the same as far as the menus, cakes, flowers, etc. so I will give you a little run-down of my options...

We were married on the beach at 5 pm, but changed it to 6pm when we got there-- the only problem with that was that pictures needed to be rushed along but we got some great sunsets shots.  We used the resort photographer and were happy with the photos (you only have ceremony shots included in gold package and will need to buy an hour for $350 to get shots after or longer if you want the whole event photgraphed) Some were included in the gold package but then we opted  to upgrade the plan and basically bought everything that was offered.  Even though I was happy with the photos, I should have looked into the other photographers in the area and their packages.

The beach is very windy, which helps with the heat, but not so much the hair-- so if you are going for hair all down you may want to re-think it.  I had half up-half down and it was a great choice, but I should have secured my side swept bangs a little better. so they weren't blowing all over in the pictures.  I got my hair and makeup done  at the spa...my hair turned out well...I wasn't crazy about the make-up but it looked good in the pictures.  (both were included in the gold package) 

We paid for the guitar player to play at the ceremony which costs $500 and I feel was well worth it and really set a mood with the ocean in the background, but there is a sound system and you do have the option of playing recorded music which they have the traditional songs for you to use.  The payment for a solo-ist at the ceremony is just added onto your final bill at check-out.  We had white covered chairs and the seashells and starfish making an aisle in the sand.  We also had the white fabric draped over the wooden structure--we thought we would have to pay $200 for this set-up but I didn't notice it in the bill.  We also had a table up front with flowers on it as a decoration where we did the sand ceremony and signed the documents (we had a symbolic ceremony)-- we didn't discuss the sand ceremony but it was there when I got there so I just went with it-- I knew it was an option but thought it needed to be requested.

We had cocktail hour at the x-lounge where we opted for all of the Mexican foods and the marriachi band (part of the gold package) and then dinner on the terrace of the spice restaurant.  We had 37 people total so the first 20 were included in the price of the gold package and then you pay $45 for each additional person. Dinner was great except for the mahi mahi-- it was completely breaded and it was very dried out-- I didn't really eat it and all of my guests at first tried to be polite but then admitted it was not good at all.  The beef tenderloin on the other hand was a big hit.  We chose the silver menu III  and added the mahi mahi choice.  (you can mix and match items from gold and silver if you get the gold package.)-- they are very accomodating and will probably honor most requests. Since we wanted to offer two different entree choices we needed to give a count a month ahead with all of our final choices. People raved about the chocolate dessert that was part of that menu and also the vanilla cake with strawberries that we chose. 

They will have tables with white linens set-up...we opted for roses and gerbera daisies in bud vases spread out on table with some votive candles-- very simple, but pretty-- I think in this location over doing it with flowers can sometimes look out of place. (we did not pay extra for the centerpieces since I didn't get any flowers that were included in the gold package except my bouquet so I printed out a picture and brought it with me and asked Yamina if I could just substitute)   my bouquet was red and dark pink roses and gerbera daisies tied with a turquoise ribbon...very beautiful. I was hoping for dahlias since I prefer larger blooms, but the daisies were pretty much the only option for larger blooms.  -- again I brought pictures just to show the look of the bouquet and the color (different flowers were used)-- I requested a flower for my hair which was not brought to the spa as promised and was brought to my room last minute with a hair pin.  I never would have been able to put it in securely and it didn't lay in my hair correctly so I opted for a fake red rose that I had brought from home to use in my trial photo...it was actually a "real touch" flower and everyone thought it was real.

We did not opt for a DJ...we are having a reception at home in a month and the dancing will be done there.  The guests who came to Mexico weren't a group that missed the reception feel while there.  We just brought an ipod dock and played music on the spice terrace during dinner.

We didn't bring OOT bags, but did bring fans to put on everyone's seat at the wedding but they were not needed because it was very windy.  We decided to meet up at cafe kafe the night before the wedding and wanted to send around a typed-up itinerary but would have been charged for it to be delivered to each room so I suggest type it up yourself and bring it with you to be given when people check in.  We did not have a rehearsal or rehearsal dinner.  We had no wedding party so we didn't feel the need. We all just met up after dinner (you could probably all just eat together at one of the restaurants if your group is a reasonable size)-- we almost chose the bonfire option on the beach for $400 but you would have to pay $14 a person for drink service because it was considered a private get-together.  It would have been too hot for a fire anyway and I didn't regret it since you are at an all-inclusive and our guests were just happy to be together, sitting outside, enjoying the musical entertainment and taking advantage of the included drinks. 

The resort itself was great and it was big enought that everyone can do their own thing but still run into each other. Some people chose to do excursions, some didn't. We basically had our beach spot daily so if people wanted to hang out we would meet there and come and go to the swim-up bar, the lazy river pool, or to enjoy the activities. 

I could go on and on...if you have any specific questions, feel free to email me and I will answer them. (megcoff@hotmail.com)  Everything turned out great, but I did do a lot of planning on my own sending lists of questions to Yamina every now and then. -- I would email the temporary person and ask her to email you all of the options lists for cakes, flowers, decorations, menu, etc. if you don't have them already so you can start narrowing things down.    

I would like to do something with floating candles and flowers in a vase, but I'm worried about how much the resort would charge and I don't know how I would transport all of the vases to the resort.  Has anyone thought about centerpieces yet?

I brought floating candles and they provided me with bowls and dyed water which actually looked very nice. I think she told me they would be $4 a bowl, but I don't remember seeing it on the bill. I also brought those little bags you fill with sand and put a candle in, but they didn't stay lit. Some of the bowl candles kept going out as well, but I thought it was still pretty. I'll post pics of them when I'm back at my computer and not on my iPad.

Yes...EPM tried really hard to keep Yamina ...but she had another good offer!

BUT...Norma and the new coordiantor will for sure take good care of all the future brides - and we will kep working on site creating specials settings at La Amada, EPM and the villa. Check our facebook page, we have uploaded pictures from recent events there.

Megcoff,

Thanks for a great review, we are getting married August 12, 2011 and I was shocked to hear that Yamina was gone.

They emailed me to tell me.  My fiance and I put together a complete list of everything we told Yamina and wanted for our wedding day, every detail so we can use it when we get there

and they have it to work off of before we get there.

I am hoping this will help since Yamina is no longer there.

Thanks for the advice on the mahi mahi, we did a food choice as well.  I didnt know there were options for a get together the night before the wedding (bon fire). Thank you!! I guess they will tell us that info when we get there a few days before, but I will definitely think about that, sounds like fun.

I am glad you gave such great detailed information on the gold package, it has helped very much.  If you don't mind me asking, I know you have to pay everything when you get there, this might sound like a silly question but do they take US checks. I know they will take a credit card and cash.

Also were the vendors on your hotel bill or you paid directly to them (photographer).  I am having the same photographer, and getting a DJ and videographer as well.

Since you had 37 people booked at the hotel, did they upgrade your room????  I have 56 people booked, about 30 rooms, so I was wondering if we could get an upgrade.

Thank you again for your detailed review!

Lisa

EPM August 12, 2011

"56 people ready to party their maracas off"

thewave.gif

Hi Ladies-

This is my first post on the boards, I am a long time lurker :) I am getting married At EPM on October 28th of this year. I was shocked to hear (from this board) that Yamina was no longer the planner. I am concerned because I would have liked to have heard this from the resort since I had many outstanding questions.

I was ready to send out my invites but had decided to upgrade my package and need to know the Gold and Silver menu options so that I can have guests make their selection. If anyone knows the current options for the cocktail hour/reception dinner please share! Any info would be great because I am starting to freak out girl_werewolf.gif

Thanks All!

Kim

Great review. Thanks for all the information, it was very helpful. Sounds like you had a beautiful wedding! Congrats & cant wait to see pics!!

Originally Posted by megcoff View Post

Hello Ladies,

I was married at EPM on May 28, 2011. Everything was wonderful and you will not be disappointed! I got a lot of great information from this site even though I really didn't post much, so I will return the favor. Yamina was still working there then and I am surprised that she is no longer there.  When I first decided on a destination wedding at EPM there was another wedding coordinator working there that had awesome reviews so I was nervous when Yamina took over.  You shouldn't worry, I'm sure they will have a very capable replacement.  I know it's hard to plan from so far away.  I assume all of their options will stay the same as far as the menus, cakes, flowers, etc. so I will give you a little run-down of my options...

We were married on the beach at 5 pm, but changed it to 6pm when we got there-- the only problem with that was that pictures needed to be rushed along but we got some great sunsets shots.  We used the resort photographer and were happy with the photos (you only have ceremony shots included in gold package and will need to buy an hour for $350 to get shots after or longer if you want the whole event photgraphed) Some were included in the gold package but then we opted  to upgrade the plan and basically bought everything that was offered.  Even though I was happy with the photos, I should have looked into the other photographers in the area and their packages.

The beach is very windy, which helps with the heat, but not so much the hair-- so if you are going for hair all down you may want to re-think it.  I had half up-half down and it was a great choice, but I should have secured my side swept bangs a little better. so they weren't blowing all over in the pictures.  I got my hair and makeup done  at the spa...my hair turned out well...I wasn't crazy about the make-up but it looked good in the pictures.  (both were included in the gold package) 

We paid for the guitar player to play at the ceremony which costs $500 and I feel was well worth it and really set a mood with the ocean in the background, but there is a sound system and you do have the option of playing recorded music which they have the traditional songs for you to use.  The payment for a solo-ist at the ceremony is just added onto your final bill at check-out.  We had white covered chairs and the seashells and starfish making an aisle in the sand.  We also had the white fabric draped over the wooden structure--we thought we would have to pay $200 for this set-up but I didn't notice it in the bill.  We also had a table up front with flowers on it as a decoration where we did the sand ceremony and signed the documents (we had a symbolic ceremony)-- we didn't discuss the sand ceremony but it was there when I got there so I just went with it-- I knew it was an option but thought it needed to be requested.

We had cocktail hour at the x-lounge where we opted for all of the Mexican foods and the marriachi band (part of the gold package) and then dinner on the terrace of the spice restaurant.  We had 37 people total so the first 20 were included in the price of the gold package and then you pay $45 for each additional person. Dinner was great except for the mahi mahi-- it was completely breaded and it was very dried out-- I didn't really eat it and all of my guests at first tried to be polite but then admitted it was not good at all.  The beef tenderloin on the other hand was a big hit.  We chose the silver menu III  and added the mahi mahi choice.  (you can mix and match items from gold and silver if you get the gold package.)-- they are very accomodating and will probably honor most requests. Since we wanted to offer two different entree choices we needed to give a count a month ahead with all of our final choices. People raved about the chocolate dessert that was part of that menu and also the vanilla cake with strawberries that we chose. 

They will have tables with white linens set-up...we opted for roses and gerbera daisies in bud vases spread out on table with some votive candles-- very simple, but pretty-- I think in this location over doing it with flowers can sometimes look out of place. (we did not pay extra for the centerpieces since I didn't get any flowers that were included in the gold package except my bouquet so I printed out a picture and brought it with me and asked Yamina if I could just substitute)   my bouquet was red and dark pink roses and gerbera daisies tied with a turquoise ribbon...very beautiful. I was hoping for dahlias since I prefer larger blooms, but the daisies were pretty much the only option for larger blooms.  -- again I brought pictures just to show the look of the bouquet and the color (different flowers were used)-- I requested a flower for my hair which was not brought to the spa as promised and was brought to my room last minute with a hair pin.  I never would have been able to put it in securely and it didn't lay in my hair correctly so I opted for a fake red rose that I had brought from home to use in my trial photo...it was actually a "real touch" flower and everyone thought it was real.

We did not opt for a DJ...we are having a reception at home in a month and the dancing will be done there.  The guests who came to Mexico weren't a group that missed the reception feel while there.  We just brought an ipod dock and played music on the spice terrace during dinner.

We didn't bring OOT bags, but did bring fans to put on everyone's seat at the wedding but they were not needed because it was very windy.  We decided to meet up at cafe kafe the night before the wedding and wanted to send around a typed-up itinerary but would have been charged for it to be delivered to each room so I suggest type it up yourself and bring it with you to be given when people check in.  We did not have a rehearsal or rehearsal dinner.  We had no wedding party so we didn't feel the need. We all just met up after dinner (you could probably all just eat together at one of the restaurants if your group is a reasonable size)-- we almost chose the bonfire option on the beach for $400 but you would have to pay $14 a person for drink service because it was considered a private get-together.  It would have been too hot for a fire anyway and I didn't regret it since you are at an all-inclusive and our guests were just happy to be together, sitting outside, enjoying the musical entertainment and taking advantage of the included drinks. 

The resort itself was great and it was big enought that everyone can do their own thing but still run into each other. Some people chose to do excursions, some didn't. We basically had our beach spot daily so if people wanted to hang out we would meet there and come and go to the swim-up bar, the lazy river pool, or to enjoy the activities. 

I could go on and on...if you have any specific questions, feel free to email me and I will answer them. (megcoff@hotmail.com)  Everything turned out great, but I did do a lot of planning on my own sending lists of questions to Yamina every now and then. -- I would email the temporary person and ask her to email you all of the options lists for cakes, flowers, decorations, menu, etc. if you don't have them already so you can start narrowing things down.    

Hi Ladies,

One question I have about Excellence Playa Mujeres is about the beach...some of the reviews on Trip Advisor caution that the beach is filled with seaweed and you cant really swim in the ocean. I have been reading how great the pools and Lazy River are but still want a location with a nice beach. What would you say about the beach there?

I have heard that it depends on a lot on what time of year you are going. For example, we are gettign married next April and I heard the beach was really nice then. I just saw pictures of Secrets on trip advisor and even though they have the best beach in the area, right now with the time of year, even they have a bunch of seagrass on the beach.