Photo

Paying for bridesmaids' and groomsmen's clothes?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Angela139

Angela139
  • 455 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:21 PM

Hi All!

I am trying to decide whether to offer to pay for our bridesmaids and groomsmen's attire. What do you all think? What are you doing? Does anyone know what the proper etiquette on this is?

Thanks in advance!
    Angela :)

#2 KAMAY11

KAMAY11
    • 456 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:50 PM

We bought our BM's and GM's attire....I felt bad because they were already spending money to come to the wedding and I didn't want to ask for them to fork out more $$ for the suits and dresses.....but that's just me.
      I think "tradition" is they pay for their own...But in the end, I think it's really up to what you & your FI want to do.
      D & K
      October 16th, 2008-Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas

http://tickers.Ticke....7276/event.png

#3 Shannond4156

Shannond4156
      • 169 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:00 PM

We are also paying for their outfits. They are spending so much to come down with us I was concerned with adding something on. However, I know they would be happy to do it if we asked. We are not going over the top with gifts though, the outfits and accessories are the gift. Is that bad?

#4 Dana10

Dana10
        • 69 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:07 PM

Hi Angela,

The knot.com says that Bridesmaids are generally expected to pay for their own wedding-day attire (shoes and jewelry included). I think if you have room in your budget to pay for them it would be something nice to do especially if they are fitting the flight and hotel bill to come. Its not required but i would be upfront with them and see what their thoughts on it are and what they can afford. I am paying for my BM and GM attire but leaving it up to them if they want their hair, make up etc professionally done though. When i told them i would be paying for their dresses they all told me I should save the money for something else like upgrading myself and FI first class, remember these people are your best friends, they love you and want you to have the best day possible. Maybe turn it around... if you were the BM and what would you think, that might help you decide. If you are paying for their flight and hotel though I think they should be paying for their own attire for sure. Hope this helps I think i started rambling on n on! lol.

#5 Jess

Jess
          • 4,455 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:25 PM

Yeah this is a good question - if I had an at home wedding I would have them buy their attire - but now I'm leaning DW I'm hoping I can afford to purchase theirs or at least pay 1/2

#6 sunstarsmoon

sunstarsmoon
            • 2,233 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:35 PM

I am planning on paying for my MOH dress, she did for me when I was in her wedding. I am also considering paying for GM and BM, but I guess it boils down to budget in the end
              July 8, 2011, Couples Sans Souci Ocho Rios, Jamaica

#7 Ava

Ava
              • 153 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:14 PM

We are paying for ours - they are already paying so much!

#8 foxytv

foxytv
                • VIP Member
                • 7,740 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:18 PM

Whatever you prefer is fine on this one.

My BM's bought their own dresses and I had some nice BM gifts for them.

We bought the GM shirts and Reef Dram sandals w/ the flask in them as their gift.

#9 Chantal85

Chantal85
                  • 224 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:26 PM

We payed for our whole wedding party's attire as we felt they were spending enough just coming to our wedding. We also had room in the budget since it is saving us quite a bit to do a destination wedding vs a Canadian wedding.

#10 Virg

Virg
                    • 684 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:35 PM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Dana10
                      Hi Angela,

The knot.com says that Bridesmaids are generally expected to pay for their own wedding-day attire (shoes and jewelry included). I think if you have room in your budget to pay for them it would be something nice to do especially if they are fitting the flight and hotel bill to come. Its not required but i would be upfront with them and see what their thoughts on it are and what they can afford. I am paying for my BM and GM attire but leaving it up to them if they want their hair, make up etc professionally done though. When i told them i would be paying for their dresses they all told me I should save the money for something else like upgrading myself and FI first class, remember these people are your best friends, they love you and want you to have the best day possible. Maybe turn it around... if you were the BM and what would you think, that might help you decide. If you are paying for their flight and hotel though I think they should be paying for their own attire for sure. Hope this helps I think i started rambling on n on! lol.

I was a BM at a regular (at hoem ) wedding and paid for my dress, shoes, hair, alterations, nails. EVERYTHING. I put my foot down on the makeup (should have also for the hair, I got a regualr looking BUN for 90$, something easily something I could have done myself ) ... throw in the engagement gift, wedding gift, the bachelorette party, bridal shower gift...

I was not a happy BM. It gets really expensive.
                      I am still pay off my credit card for this stuff... Oh and I did not get a thank you card yet, its been since July...

Our budget is tight for out DW wedding, we have 2 BM and 2 GM, we plan on paying for the shirts for the men (also makes sure they match) and the alterations for the girls dresses.
                      Happily Ever After: June 1, 2006
                      Made it legal : June 30, 2009

http://i37.photobuck....h_IMG_8136.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users