OVERWHELMED!! Dreams in Cabo...

Hi everyone-

I'm a newbie to the site, and I've only been poking around for about an hour or so total. I'm getting so overwhelmed! I'm getting married at Dreams in Cabo on December 20th, 2007. (We finally heard back from Yesica after 3 weeks--and I had to get a travel agent at home to start bugging her just to get a response. I was getting really worried, but I'm glad to read that other people say it takes a while to hear back from them. I know Dreams is a busy place).

I have just a few questions, and really appreiciate how well you guys do at all these responses!

1) Do you have to sign some sort of contract at Dreams to save your date? Yesica said we're all set for December 20th, but then I get no response when I ask how to sign a contract or put down a deposit. Do you have to have your deposit in, and will my date be reserved with out these things?? It makes me worried!

2) I'm totally busy with school and have SOOO little time for planning. I have no idea what to even think about decorations at Dreams, menu's, site locations for a ceremony or dinner, and what to do in Cabo. Does any one have any quick responses on this??

3) We have Juan Carlos Tapia booked for the date, a travel agent to arrange flights/reservations for guests, and I have ordered my dress. That's about it! Is there anything major I'm missing??

Josh (fiance) and I live about 11 hours apart and only see each once a month maybe. We're both so busy with school, and figured a destination wedding would limit the planning. I'm getting a little overwhelmed reading all of what there is to do! If anyone has any advice to give at ALL, I would appreciate it SO much. (Like, how's the hair and make-up at Dreams, is the coordinator easy to work with, is there anything I should be looking out for??)

Thanks for all your help ladies! You guys must have a plethora of information, but it's just a matter of me sorting through all this I guess!

Thanks,

Kassia

Oh, and how do you guys post all those cute pictures of yourselves??

Well at least you've chosen your location thats the hardest part!

I am a dreams cancun bride, so I'm not much help, but there are a LOT of dreams cabo brides here and I'm sure they'll chime in soon. On the weekends it tends to be kind of slow around here, so don't get discouraged if you don't get a response right away.

Kassia, welcome to the forum :) There are plenty of Dreams brides here that I'm sure can address your questions. Dreams is a very popular choice and I've heard nothing bad about their weddings. Juan Carlos' work is AMAZING - you are a very lucky bride.

Have you thought of sending out any STD's yet?

Kassia, I completely understand! But trust it's only as stressful as you make it. As a bride, we often read way to many magazines or wrap ourselves around ideas. Your wedding can be as simple or as elaborate as you'd like. Hint: more elaborate equals more stressful. I am a Dreams bride, however I am working soley with Mariana. you are now approaching teh busy season so response time will likely lack but three weeks is unexcusable. Don't be afrid to call the resort, follow up with an email stating your desires and expectations. Both suggestions will set the tone of you and your working relationship with the property. See my specific responses below:

1) Do you have to sign some sort of contract at Dreams to save your date? Yesica said we're all set for December 20th, but then I get no response when I ask how to sign a contract or put down a deposit. Do you have to have your deposit in, and will my date be reserved with out these things?? It makes me worried!

My date was saved via Dreams without a deposit for about 4 weeks. Once I had a group room agreement and left the respected deposit with my travel agent we were definately confirmed. In the body of ALL of my emails I note the date, location, and our group name. That way there is never any confusion about which bride I am. I feel confident that Mariana knows exactly who I am, but I don't want there to be any confusion about my date.

2) I'm totally busy with school and have SOOO little time for planning. I have no idea what to even think about decorations at Dreams, menu's, site locations for a ceremony or dinner, and what to do in Cabo. Does any one have any quick responses on this??

Dreams decor items will definately suffice. You really don't have to source more. Many brides have used the white linens and vases available for rent. In addition, they also have colored runners. For locations, how many guests are you having? I decided on the Cascade Terrace since I liked the infiniti pool backdrop. The Oceana is great as well and by far more private. The dinner, you have plenty of time to decide. Visit www.loscabosguide.com for things to do. For our wedding we only planned golf and spa anything else is up to our guests. The concierge offers reasonalbe excursions so don't stress about this at all.

3) We have Juan Carlos Tapia booked for the date, a travel agent to arrange flights/reservations for guests, and I have ordered my dress. That's about it! Is there anything major I'm missing??

I would think STD's (save the dates) your guests need to know the dates and travel info.

Lastly, I'd say don't take on too much! With josh and you being apart you need a mate who you can vent too at times. School is stressfull enough. This should definatley be a time that you enjoy. I'd like to suggest a company that I used olio.style - modern wedding invitations, stylish baby announcements, unique custom stationery , they are very reasonable and can create an overall look for you (std, invites, programs, menu cards). These are small touches to personalize your wedding without havign lots of DIY projects.

Thanks so much for your responses already. The one other thing I've done is order save the date cards, but mainly for our reception back home in MN. The STD cards won't get here for another 3 weeks though. We're having our wedding website on the STD cards. Luckily, Josh's been in charge of the whole website thus far and done a good job with it. We're keeping the ceremony in Mexico really small, only about 14 people, then having a reception for about 150 people at home.

The travel agent we hired in MN will be sending out info to the guest travelling to Mexico about Dreams and how to book flights/rooms, which is very helpful.

I guess at this point, the thing that worries me most is working with the wedding coordinator at Dreams (Yesica). I have been unable to get a hold of her AT ALL, and the travel agent has done all my talking for me. It's getting frustrating. But, as long as I hear from other brides that say they have been able to communicate with the coordinators there, I'm sure everything will be okay.

That is VERY helpful to hear your date was reserved for you until you booked rooms. I was kind of waiting for the opposite...I wasn't going to book rooms until I had confirmed date. But, as long as I know the date will be saved while we make travel arrangements, then hopefully the 14 people or so that are coming to Cabo can go ahead and make travel arrangements soon, then we can lock-down on our date.

I'll check out the olio.style site you were talking about. It helps to hear I don't have to do SO much stuff, but I'd like the day to be very special none-the-less.

I am a Dreams Cabo bride, so hopefully i can help you:

Hi everyone-

no contract is needed to reserve your date- if she says you are set, then you are set. usually once you pay your deposit for your room block then thats all there is too it- we never ever signed a contract- but when i went for a site visit she had everything we had emailed about printed out on paper- so even through they appear unorganized they are (for the most part)

ok i am doing minimal decorations (also sidenote: we are NOT using a weddingplanner, just mariana at dreams) we are renting chair ties, hurricane vases, and candles from dreams. they can send youa pricelist for anything you want or need. for your wedding dinner you can either choose between a seated meal or a bufett- then once you decide that you can narrow down your menu options. we are doing a seated dinner, 4 course meal- apps, salad, choice between two entrees, and dessert- and their food is AWESOME!. our wedding is at the gazebo and recpetion at cascade terrace- i can send you pics of this location if you want

like jenetta said- send save the dates out soon to allow your guests to plan their schedule. we sent a very simple and cheap postcard that we made at postcardsmadeeasy.com and i know some girls use vistaprint.com- we just put basic info on the card but put our wedding website address- which has ALL of our info- have you made a wedding website yet?

OK- i promise i am NOT a planner and planning a destination wedding is a sinch after you get past the first month - the most important thing is to set your date and then let your guests know ASAP- send me a private message if you need anything because i have been to dreams cabo and planned most of our wedding already- good luck!!!!!

Welcome to the forum Kassia. There is so much information on this site that you can plan your own wedding. I was debating whether to get an outside coordinator because Yessica was not responding to me in a timely fashion either. It was more like 3-4 days before I heard form her, but 3 - 4 weeks is unacceptable. So don't get too upset if you don't hear from her right away.

I just finalized my date a few weeks ago with Yessica. I did not sign a contract either. I just received an e-mail from her stating that I was all set. I have my room block set up and I just sent out my STD's.

You are ahead of me because I just went out looking at dresses today for the first time and my wedding is in October. I can not speak to the food yet. I will be doing a site visit in either May or June so I'll taste test everything then. If you have Juan Carlos you should be set. His work is awesome. I saw his website as well as other brides album on this forum. I'm debating whether to have him for my wedding. What is stopping me is the price:)

I chose a beach wedding and will have the cocktail hour/reception at the Cascada Terrace. I chose it based on the other girls decisions on this forum and some pictures that Yessica sent me.

As far as Dreams' decorations, I have not seen them but I have decided to buy my own hurricane vases and votives. It is cheaper to buy them myself than rent. It just depends how much you want to do or pay to have it done. I have to talk to Yessica to see if there is a fee for setting it up if I purchase them. If there is, that may change my mind.

Anything you need to know, just post a message and you will get ideas. Good luck to you and congratulations to you and your fiance!!

Lisa

Hey Lisa--

Another lucky bride to be that get's to see the resort before the wedding! If you can, take some pics. I got some pictures from Nicole too...the resort does look beautiful. Everyone here has already been so incredibly helpful! I feel like I've accomplished more in one day just reading this site than the last 3 months of putzing around trying to make some decisions. I think everything will start to fall into place now. Hopefully!

Hi Kassia! I'm a dreams bride too and have been there. If you can do a room block and get a site visit, I highly recommend it. It puts a lot of stuff in perspective.

Everyone has pretty much answered this, but I did my date when I did my room block. I never got a contract from Dreams, but it was in my contract with my TA, although it did say I had to book everything with them. Even though I never got an official contract with Dreams, they were very organized when I went down there (had a folder with our names on it, the date and all the info). As long as you've got it on e-mail, I wouldn't worry to much.

We're having a small wedding on the beach followed by a cocktail hour on the beach, then a reception at Oceana (thanks again Nicole!). We're a really small wedding (about 20) and so they won't close off locations for us (like cascade) so Oceana was really the only place we could have a private reception. Also, because we're so small, we can't do the buffet (I think they want 40 or more). For decorations we're not doing too much - I'm bringing some candles down for the table, renting chair ties and that's about it. Dreams is really beautiful and you don't need to add anything really. The coordinators can e-mail you pics of everything you can rent from them (it might take a while, but you'll get it :o)

I think everyone else covered it...your save the dates are important - the number of people coming will help you decide a lot. Oh, and passports after reading some of the other threads. I took tons of pics when I was there too, if you want more :o)