Photo

Giving Up Carbs?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 *Casey*

*Casey*
  • 5,209 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:17 PM

So a girlfriend and I were talking about giving up carbs for lent this year and was just wondering if any of yall have done this before. I've never tried it before but sounds like a good idea since it'll be right before the wedding. I feel so stupid because I don't even know what I will be able to eat and what I won't. I just wanted to get yalls opinion on what you thought and if it worked for you. TIA!!!

Casey

#2 ACDCDCAC

ACDCDCAC
    • Moderators
    • 25,218 posts
    • Wedding Location:Santa Maria Bay Beach, Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
    • LocationSeattle

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:50 PM

oh man casey, i just have to say that there is NO way i could give up carbs. with kids around, thats all we eat! i would starve!

#3 *Heather*

*Heather*

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 9,532 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:56 PM

Casey, I wouldn’t give up all carbs, it’s not healthy for you. If anything, just cut out all white/processed carbs and only eat whole grain or whole wheat carbs. Even that will make a big difference. But cutting out an entire food group really isn’t good for you in my opinion! Especially if you’re working out which I know you do.

That’s just my opinion though! If you decide to do it, good luck to you :) I would die!!!

#4 DallasAshli

DallasAshli
      • 451 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:58 PM

There's a big difference between "carbs" and carbs. Obviously :) No, what I mean is that we all think of carbs as pasta, bread, potatos, etc. But fruit has carbs too - are you willing (or wanting) to give up fruit? You could give up something like "processed carbs".

Here's a suggestion - give up high fructose corn syrup. Matt (FI) did this before we moved in together and now I've learned to do the same. We've only found like 2 kinds of bread that don't have it (we get Nature's Valley 100% Whole Grain - 50 cals per slice). Tons of stuff has it so you have to read labels! We aren't super strict about it - for example, sodas have it but if we are at the movies and want a soda, we get one. We just dont buy groceries that have it.

#5 Mel&B

Mel&B
        • 613 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:30 PM

I am anti giving up all carbs. The other girls have made very good points. I took a very scientific nutrition class in college, and of course I don't remember the scientific explanantion, but giving up carbs completely is really bad for you.

#6 *Casey*

*Casey*
          • 5,209 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:34 PM

What if we just gave up bread, pasta, potatoes? Would that make a difference? Would I still be able to eat lots of protein without it sticking to my arse?

#7 Mel&B

Mel&B
            • 613 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:38 PM

That's probably a good idea- especially white bread and white pasta. Sweet potatoes are really good for you though, so I wouldn't cut them out.

#8 ErinB

ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
              • 9,504 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 02:03 PM

That is the theory behind the Atkins and South Beach diets. You can easily find info about each of them.

All fruits and veggies have carbs, some just more than others.

By cutting "bad carbs" - basically "white foods" (potatoes, pasta, rice, bread, sugar) you will drop a bunch of weight, as much as 10 pounds the first week.

It's not difficult to do, if you do it correctly. I will tell you that the weight will come back on pretty quickly when you start eating "bad carbs" again.

I'm not against it for a quick fix, but don't recommend it for a long term eating lifestyle.

#9 *Casey*

*Casey*
                • 5,209 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 02:14 PM

That's what I'm afraid of... We're going to Italy after the wedding and all that bread and pasta is going to kill me. At least I'll look better in the wedding pics... hahaha

#10 ErinB

ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                  • 9,504 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 02:21 PM

You'll probably be ok on the honeymoon with all of the walking/climbing/hiking there is to do in Italy. No to mention other "activities" that have been known to happen on honeymoons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users