Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Originally Posted by Rachel Terry View Post

 

Hey everyone!

 

After experiencing the notorious Cecilia limbo over the past few days we've received our paperwork for the deposit and extras.

 

I literally laughed out loud when I saw they wanted close to $200 for upgraded table clothes. I am thinking of just buying some from one of the mega wholesale wedding sites like save-on-crafts.com or koyal wholesale.

 

Also, I have seen some brides post about taking a jambox down there with them for the reception. I was thinking about doing this as well since the speaker only costs $300 verses $599.40 for three hours sound system from the resort.

 

Any thoughts?

We used the included tablecloth overlays that Cri showed (They're very nice in person) but added a table runner. I bought 10 of them for about $40 on ebay.  They have them in a bunch of different colors and it really added some color to the reception.  We didn't have ten tables but they used the extras to decorate some of the cocktail hour tables and the guestbook table.  Here is the link to the store:  http://stores.ebay.com/craftsnfavors.  We purchased the pintuck runners.

 

We used the Big Jambox for our wedding in September.  It was awesome!  We used it for the reception and the bonfire, plus we now have a nice portable speaker.  We did use the hotel sound system for the ceremony, which ended up being a good move.  We had 36 guests.  It may not be as necessary with a small group, but for ours, I think it was.

 

 

700

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi tigerkels!  What day in November?!  We are the 23rd!!  Some days I feel like planning is moving along well and some days I feel like it is totally stalled out.  I'm a bit type A, so I have a hugely detailed spreadsheet that I have been using to try to keep myself on track.  Right now, I am trying to get our website up and functional so that I can send out our save-the-dates.  I've really just been trying to break down my decision making and get things done.  This forum has been amazing for all sorts of details.  Feel free to send a PM to me if you want to chat and compare notes!!  

 

FYI, we were able to get a 5% discount with American Airlines for all of our guests!  It's not a huge amount, but it's something!  You just need more than 10 people traveling to the same airport destination.  They can be traveling from different locations.  I filled out a form online and then 2 days later they sent me a code!  Super easy and I think that our guests will appreciate any help we can offer them with travel. 

 

So speaking of help, did anyone not have centerpieces?  Did the tables look bare?  I'm not super attached to flowers and am trying not to spend a fortune, but I know I need something to mark table numbers.  Ideas?  Thoughts?  Is this something that I would regret? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by tigerkels View Post

 

We are also getting married at Secrets Maroma in November 2013! How has planning been going?

 

 

Happy planning tigerkels!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats!! We had simple and inexpensive centerpieces. I had a silver charger, a cylinder vase with a fake fushia colored orchid in it with water and a floating candle. You can look at "drowned orchids" and get some ideas if you like that idea. Some look really cheesy and sort of cheap, but you can change them up to fit your liking.  I bout a photo frame and painted it the blue that matched our wedding color and cut out a number and put it in the frame on a nice sheet of paper for background. It was simple and inexpensive. For the vases for drowned orchids, I shopped around at hobby lobby, dollar tree, and michaels. I used coupons for those as well as the flowers. I also found that the white orchids looked fake in the water, and the colored ones did not (unless you looked really really close)! Good luck! You will probably get lots of ideas here.

The tables are large, so I think it would look better if you had something in the center. Ours was really simple, but the color added something and def made it look really nice.

Originally Posted by un4gitabl View Post

Hi tigerkels!  What day in November?!  We are the 23rd!!  Some days I feel like planning is moving along well and some days I feel like it is totally stalled out.  I'm a bit type A, so I have a hugely detailed spreadsheet that I have been using to try to keep myself on track.  Right now, I am trying to get our website up and functional so that I can send out our save-the-dates.  I've really just been trying to break down my decision making and get things done.  This forum has been amazing for all sorts of details.  Feel free to send a PM to me if you want to chat and compare notes!!  

 

FYI, we were able to get a 5% discount with American Airlines for all of our guests!  It's not a huge amount, but it's something!  You just need more than 10 people traveling to the same airport destination.  They can be traveling from different locations.  I filled out a form online and then 2 days later they sent me a code!  Super easy and I think that our guests will appreciate any help we can offer them with travel. 

 

So speaking of help, did anyone not have centerpieces?  Did the tables look bare?  I'm not super attached to flowers and am trying not to spend a fortune, but I know I need something to mark table numbers.  Ideas?  Thoughts?  Is this something that I would regret? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Everyone!! 2 months from today we leave for SMB!! Getting really excited!! Everyone's feedback/posts on this website have been extremely helpful!!! I heard from Cecilia this morning that the new photographer they use is Adventure Photos. Has anyone used this group? What was your experience? I don't want to spend a ton on photography, but want to ensure our wedding day memories are captured. Any advice you can provide would be appreciated!! Also for brides that had their reception by the gazebo...did you pay for extra decorations?? What is your recommendation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by K3nelson View Post

 

Hi Everyone!! 2 months from today we leave for SMB!! Getting really excited!! Everyone's feedback/posts on this website have been extremely helpful!!!

 

I heard from Cecilia this morning that the new photographer they use is Adventure Photos. Has anyone used this group? What was your experience? I don't want to spend a ton on photography, but want to ensure our wedding day memories are captured. Any advice you can provide would be appreciated!!

 

Also for brides that had their reception by the gazebo...did you pay for extra decorations?? What is your recommendation?

 

Adventura Photo is the photographer that have the shop in the resort.

All the couple can have a free session with them and you can chose how many pictures you want and you will pay only the pictures selected.

In my wedding I had Tony and Alex bu Juan Navarro photo , they are welcome in SMB resort and you will not pay extra charge for them.

Some days after the wedding I have used the Aventura photo to take an extra wedding session during the day (the wedding was in the evening)

To be honest I profere Tony and Alex pictures, we had fantastic pictures in the abandoned mansion but also Aventura was good. I suggest you to check their album to have a comparison between the 2 style.

 

Regarding the reception, I had it in the gazebo and I haven't payed for extra decoration, I have taken sashes from home and Mayan Floral have tranferred thecanopy flowers decoration to the gazebo for the dinner.

 

Let me know if you need any other information

happy planning!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone!!! I need some major help right now, our wedding is April 27th, less than a month away, and I feel like I have NOTHING planned!!! I have just recieved an email from Valeria just asking for number of guests. We will have 18, including bride and groom. I am wondering who out there did the "complimentary" package and just did add-ons? I am having a large reception back home so want to spend as little as possible when it comes to our wedding at SMB. I think what I would like to do is not really do a reception but rather just a reservation for dinner? Any thoughts are appreciated!!! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by jmkolb View Post

 

Hey everyone!!! I need some major help right now, our wedding is April 27th, less than a month away, and I feel like I have NOTHING planned!!! I have just recieved an email from Valeria just asking for number of guests. We will have 18, including bride and groom. I am wondering who out there did the "complimentary" package and just did add-ons? I am having a large reception back home so want to spend as little as possible when it comes to our wedding at SMB. I think what I would like to do is not really do a reception but rather just a reservation for dinner? Any thoughts are appreciated!!! :)

 

Hi! Congrats to you!

I think you would have a difficult time getting a reservation at any of the restaurants for 18 people. The restaurants do not really accommodate large groups. We had 20 people and ended up doing a reception. In my opinion, that would be the best option. Some have done things like bring their own music box, provide your own decorations including chair sashes and centerpieces(we did that), maybe don't do a bonfire. There are ways to cut costs.

We were originally going to do the complimentary package, but it seems to be more for smaller groups if I remember correctly. We ended up just upgrading the package because it was going to be less to upgrade packages than to do a bunch of upgrades.

Also, have you reserved your times and locations?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Ladies! Our wedding is 2 weeks from today...getting so excited! I have a few last minute questions for you all... 1) Does anyone have a sample program from their ceremony they could share? We are doing the symbolic ceremony and not sure what that entails? Does that include the unity sand ceremony? Or if we want to do that, do I need to bring that with me? 2) I want to bring my dress as a carry-on for the flight. Did any of you have an issue with this? Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Best Destination Wedding Sponsors



    Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
  • Posts

    • Hi Brides! I have a Wally Bag - 66" available - $90 + shipping (US only) The wally bag typically sells for $120-$180. I used this gown bag once to transport my dress from MN to Mexico for our wedding - IT WAS PERFECT!   I was actually able to pack 4 additional maxi dresses, and my husband's wedding attire, plus a few pairs of shoes and some jewelry. I packed the dress the night before we left, and just moments before we left, I zipped the bag and folded it - ready for travel. It comes up with a nice over-the-shoulder strap, making it really easy to carry through the airports. No issues on Delta with the bag as my carry-on - I chose to put in the overhead bin, but the flight attendant did offer to hang it in the closet for me. Once we got to the resort, about 10 hours after I first folded the bag, I unpacked the bag and my dress was perfect - no wrinkles! My dress was mostly lace and had a bit of a train, but it arrived perfectly!  Honestly, this is the best way to travel with your dress! 
    • we ended up using Facebook messenger when we were in Mexico - the hotel had free wifi and at least 1 person from each family/couple had FB on their phone already - it was pretty easy to communicate among guests "hey, we're heading to the beach bbq for lunch." or "everyone is hanging at the small pool today".  a plus was that some people tried to get a hold of me via FB on the day of the wedding and I was totally not checking my phone - they were asking if the wedding was outside given the rain forecast, thankful my mom, MOH and a few other friends were on the group and could respond for me :) 
    • Are you looking for a guide where you’ll find many tips and steps to follow to make your wedding a success? We design a special for you, where you will find: Photography Tips To-Do List Check list How to choose the best dress? Memories and invitations And much more! Download it now for free from: http://emweddings.com/WeddingGuide/index.html     Don’t stress. Enjoy every moment, tomorrow will be your best memories. See you soon!
    • Another option is to find an app that allows for group talk. This Wedding Party App looks pretty neat. https://apracticalwedding.com/wedding-party-app/ 
    • Hi Everyone, So, I was cleaning out my closet and realized that I never sold off my extra wedding OOT bag stuff from our wonderful DW.   46 Daily Spanish for Dummies 30 Pool colored OOT fabric bags - approximately 13in x 13in. They lay flat.  I used them for our wedding and they were perfect for everything we needed to fit in each bag. There’s a slight shade variation in the group; I’m guessing some were cut from a different bolt of fabric.  They are also a little wrinkled from storage and will probably be wrinkled from shipping. I have three additional ones, but they somehow got something on them (likely toddler related). If needed, I can try to wash it out and send those as well. 
  • Topics

×