Also - as for the guests at the beach ceremony...Cecilia had two people stationed on each side of our ceremony not allowing people to walk past. In the beginning, we had one person walk past in her itty bitty bathing suit and then Cecilia positioned people there on each side to stop it. Honestly I didn't even notice, but my mom told me about the woman walking by and then I did see it in the background in the video! So maybe Cecilia has caught on to this problem and will have resort workers standing "guard" for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandiland View Post
I know I want my reception indoors because it will be hot in July, but I don't know which restaurant. I didn't like the pics of the ballroom but maybe it looks better in personhuh.gif

I see a lot of the girls used the World Cafe and it looks beautiful. We are having 50+ people so I guess we will need the whole restaurant if we use that one...is the rest as pretty as the red room?

What would be the 2nd best indoor spot?
I think the rest of World Cafe is as pretty as the red room pictures you have seen. There is another room, called the blue room which is mostly blue decorations. I'm not sure I actually have any pics of the room, sorry! The rest of World Cafe consists of the buffet areas and there is some seating but it's mostly smaller tables they use for the breakfast buffet. They could maybe do some larger tables for your reception and replace the smaller ones.

I never ate at Bordeaux so I'm not sure what it looks like inside but I think it might be dark wood with a cool "wine cellar" looking area.

El Patio, the gourmet Mexican restaurant is pretty inside. It even has a tree in the middle and a small water feature.

I never did get to eat at Portofino, the Italian restaurant in the back so I only know what the entrance looks like. I liked the food a lot at Portofino but I'm sorry I can't tell you what the decor really looks like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlynnea View Post
So after all your comments about all the people around in their not so flattering attire, I'm thinking about maybe bringing some kind of stakes and tie some ribbon to them....making an implied "fence" around the ceremony area..? Do you think that would be too much? If Cecilia would let me do it, it might help make it more obvious that people need to not pass the ribbon. Obviously they could just walk around it if they were really nosy, but it might at least send the beach go-ers the message that it's a "private" space. Thoughts?
I agree with Simistar, if you're going to do the stake idea just TELL Cecilia that's what's going to happen. It will probably help keep people away but not entirely out of your pictures. The ceremony is set fairly far away from the water but people can still walk along the water's edge and they will be in your pictures. They will appear small so your photog could Photoshop them out if he/she knows how to do it. I'm not trying to freak you out in any way. If the resort and surrounding ones are less crowded than when we were there in April you'll be great. People were very respectful of our group pictures by the water so I don't think we have a single uninvited guest in our group pictures. :)

Thanks for the advice ladies! I'll probably just have some of my friends help set up the "perimeter" for me a bit before the ceremony, and Cecilia can find out later. It's better to apologize than ask permission sometimes, right? lol

I told my FI about what you guys posted about your experiences and he said he'd have some of his friends stand "guard", but I don't want them to have to deal with that during the ceremony. So we'll do what we can and go with the flow.

Thanks again for everyone getting back to my questions so quickly, you guys are great! I'll be sure to return the favor for future SMB brides after I've gone through it all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simistar View Post
Forgot this one!
It just shows inside the restaurants... there are fans and air conditioning on so you don't get too hot:-)

Click the image to open in full size.
Thanks so much for all of the pictures and info!!!! I see the fans in the pics of the seafood restaurant but don't see any walls....how does it stay cool? (Unless the walls are glass and I can't see them.??)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo View Post
Sorry this is kinda off topic - we have decided to get married at Secrets Maroma in Nov 2010, but as we have families with kids who will be in attendance we will stay at Secrets Riviera Cancun and then hoping to have the wedding and our honeymoon at Secrets (I emailed Cecilia but she is yet to get back to me) do you guys know if kids can walk on to the Secrets resort the day of the wedding? and is it a problem that only two of us will stay at the hotel?
As far as I know, children are NOT allowed at SMB, even for the day...
This may have changed in the past few months, but I know about a year ago when a few hotels were shut down and brides were being shuffeled around resorts, those who had children even just attending the ceremony and reception (not staying at the resort) were not allowed to do so...

However, like I said, perhaps this has changed... maybe another SMB bride knows...? Or, may mean waiting for an e-mail back from Cecilia smile105.gifsmile105.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyork6156 View Post
Mandiland - In my opinion and after being married there in JULY I would have my reception inside a closed in restaurant. Aside from the heat, I would not want to chance the mosquitos. Our cocktail hr was outside and just as we were moving in for the reception the bugs came out. We all would have been so uncomfortable if we were staying outside for the reception as well. Maybe the bugs would not be a problem and maybe they would. I'm just the type of person that wouldn't take that chance. Also, maybe the bugs wouldn't be that bad down towards the water more where there is more of a breeze, but we ate at those restaurants and we had a slight bug problem there at night.

I agree that those restaurants are beautiful and would be nice for a reception, but I'm just not one to take chances.
Fair enough! I was there in December and even though I had prepared all our guests to be ready for the onlsaught of bugs, we didn't really have any...Again though, that was December:-)
(I've heard it all really depends on the weather more than the time of year...i..e if it rains, and then is warm and humid after, the bugs come out...if it stays warm and sunny, apparently they're not very bad...)

So, yes, if you don't want to take any chances, maybe stick to completely inside, rather than an open-air palapa...
BUT, if you're not TOO worried about the bugs, these restaurants are beautiful:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandiland View Post
Thanks so much for all of the pictures and info!!!! I see the fans in the pics of the seafood restaurant but don't see any walls....how does it stay cool? (Unless the walls are glass and I can't see them.??)
It's open-air...so no walls:-)
However, the fans do provide some air conditioning and keep inside the palapas cool-ish... of course, it's not as cool as being in an enclosed room in air conditioning, but perhaps in the evening, when it cools a bit outside, it would be okay...?

hi girls.... i just got back from my honeymoon at secrets maroma beach and it was the best decision i ever made. it was so unbelievable. i have 3 or 4 videos of the grounds and a ton of pictures. if you want me to send them to you please email me at jmcharlton@aol.com

my name is josie.

just wanted the maroma brides to know how much i LOVED THIS RESORT!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the 2 pictures Cecilia sent me of the ballroom.

Here is a picture my photographers took of the foyer. The actual ballroom is in a room to the right.

The foyer is so much nicer than the actual ballroom. You can have your reception in the foyer. I had 26 people and we could have easily fit in this area. And you have the terrace for the cocktail hour if you want. It's all at the end of the main building so it's more private b/c no one is walking past to get anywhere else. Also, you have to make sure that there is no other event going on in the ballroom that evening.