@@yuniedo

I had no clue that mounds of seaweed could even be a possibility or something to be worried about until we showed up. We are yearly visitors to Destin, FL and have learned that certain times of the year are usually more prone to seaweed and/or jellyfish, some years worse than others, but usually predictable for the most part. So I just chalked up the seaweed at SMB to picking the wrong time of the year to have our wedding there and not having done my research on when "seaweed season" is at its prime. So yes I will admit that it was a little disappointing in some ways...even though we had never been before, there are of course all of the beautiful pictures out there of the immaculate white sand beach and clear as can be turquoise/jade colored water. And I agree with you that it was a little painful to watch how hard they were working to clean up the seaweed but seemed to be fighting a losing battle. But I will also say that even with the seaweed as it was I was more than in love with our entire SMB wedding experience. Yes, having the beach as pictured in all the Trip Advisor pics, etc. would have made for an even more beautiful experience for us and our guests, but I guess I am one of those that was realistic going into the whole "beach wedding" experience, knowing that you are really taking a chance with the whole planning process, and honestly was just happy that the sun was shining the entire day and we were able to have our ceremony on the beach and also the reception outside as originally planned. I had gone to grad school with a girl who had gotten married at SMB 1 and 1/2 years prior and although she was able to have her beach ceremony, late rain showers forced them to move their reception plans indoors. And probably another reason why I didn't let it phase me too much...I had set my photography must-have's radar on the abandoned villa next door from the get-go (one of the primary reasons I chose SMB as the "one"), more so than the beach itself, so I think it helped take the focus off of mother nature's seaweed invasion.

Anyhow, the water still looked blue and the sand still white...enough for me at least lol...the only major drawback was the massive piles that had been created by trying to contain the seaweed, which ended up fairly close to the wedding gazebo on either side, assuming that the one to the right hand side of it was the farthest they could go with that pile since being at the edge of the property. But all in all I would say that sure it could have been a little more perfect, but I have no regrets and feel truly blessed that everything turned out as beautiful as it did, seaweed and all :)  But hopefully it will be a thing of the past by the time your date rolls around!  

The sargasso is a big topic this year, no real explanation as to why it is so heavy. It's not just the Riviera Maya either, apparently a lot of the Caribbean has been affected. While it may not be pretty, it is beneficial to the beaches and ocean, it carries nutrients, seeds, etc that in the long run will make for better beaches. The best part of the sargassum is that it provides protection for sea turtles, the little babies leaving the beach will take cover in the seaweed and be safe from birds and other predators. Here is a good article on sargasso.... http://www.destinationtips.com/destinations/caribbean/what-you-need-to-know-about-sargassum-invading-the-caribbean/

Now, happy photos of weddings at Secrets Maroma!

Destination-Wedding-Secrets-Maroma-Rivie

Riviera-Maya-Wedding-Secrets-Maroma_AS_0

Riviera-Maya-Wedding-Secrets-Maroma_LT_0

Riviera-Maya-Wedding-Secrets-Maroma_LT_0

• Like 1

@@KayRae

Thank you for that insight! I did get to watch two weddings while I was down there and they were absolutely gorgeous. The staff did try to focus their attention on the area behind the wedding gazebo, clearing it of the seaweed so the pictures would look a little better. Again, I know Mother Nature will do what she likes, but I appreciated the staff's efforts.

Im still waiting for Cecilia to email me the prices for all decor upgrades. But if anyone still has a recent copy on hand and would be willing to share, I would be really grateful!

Also, I know the pool gazebo is the most popular spot to have the reception. But I was wondering what people's opinion are about doing the reception on the beach? We are going to do a bonfire and lounge with cigars and finger dessert on the beach, in place of dancing. Would it make more sense to do dinner where we'll be hanging out afterwards (and people can transition when they want) rather than dinner by the pool gazebo and then having everyone move at the same time down to the beach to hang out? The one benefit to doing dinner at the gazebo would be that we can do our first dance (only dance during the night) without having to pay for a dance floor no one would use during lounge time.

Thanks everyone!

• Like 1

@@yuniedo

And if you didn't already, you can check out our wedding videos (highlight and short film) that I posted in this forum or under my review for Carlos Gallardo (Gallardo Films). I don't think the seaweed took away much even when you do see it, at least in my opinion. I also put some photos in my gallery as well. What decor options were you looking into upgrading? I used planner 1 so could send you some price info via email if you'd like, just let me know :)

We did wedding on the beach and reception at the Gazebo Terrace by the pool so not much help with offering any advice by experience for the reception on the beach but I like the idea!

@@KayRae of course I looked at your videos and pictures :) Gorgeous!

My email is Yune.T.Do@@gmail.com. Im particularly interested in Tiffany chairs, long rectangular tables, more elaborate flowers, candles and candle holders, either string lights or strong lanterns - I believe all things you incorporated!

Out of curiosity, did you compare prices between planner 1 and Mayan florals (a preferred vendor I believe)? Are the rectangular tables your used (ones not needing linens) more expensive than the ones needing linens? Did you get the colored LED lights through the DJ or planner1?

As for your videographer, how many hours of coverage did you get and how much did the device cost - if you don't mind me asking. Your video was amazing and I would be so happy if we can get it, assuming its within budget.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer all these questions!

@@yuniedo

Thanks! :) & no problem! I will be sending you an email shortly with some info. I didn't even think to shop around but I think it is wise so that way you know what all your options are. I was too busy with school to think about doing any of the smart wedding planning things lol. Maybe @MissFrench can help you with  some info from Mayan Florals because I believe she had contacted them.