Hi Rachel!  Congratulations!!  Our wedding is in November 2013!  So we are probably going through the same things :-)  We are going through a travel agent and from my understanding that is the only way to keep your sanity! :-)  Right now I'm still giong back and forth about doing a room block or not. 

Anyone have any advice about room block vs just letting our guests book through the travel agent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen Eeson View Post

Hi!  We rented the petate walkway which seemed to be so-so for heels.  If you are worried about it I would splurge and go for the solid wood walkway instead.  Keep in mind however that you will be walking along a wooden path (looks like a narrow deck) along the beach to get to the ceremony location, which is way tricker than the petate aisle.  I watched another wedding where all of the bridesmaids wore heels and it looked pretty painful.  

We had about 20-30 minutes between the ceremony and cocktail hour - basically enough time to do a champaign toast, take a few photos, say hi to a few people.  Our guests went up to the gazebo area ahead of us and we stayed behind for more pics and then joined everyone later.  

We had the Mexican trio and they were amazing. Everyone loved them.  I didn't bother listening to them before as I was pretty set on the Mexican trio from the beginning.  They performed during the cocktail hour for about 40 minutes.  

Hope that helps!

Jen

Thank you, Jen!! LolaTX had a great idea to buy some wedges with the same height for easier walking and just use the heels for photos - do you think that would work for the petate and the wooded walkway/deck to the beach? ...my dress alterations are dependent on what size heels I have!

Originally Posted by Rachel Terry View Post

Hello everyone!

First, I would like to thank everyone who has posted to this thread. I am a brand new member to the BDW forum. The amount of information on here is extremely helpful!

As for me, I will be getting married at Secrets in December this year. I have been in contact with Barbara Vong from Wright Travel Agency and she has been helping me with room rates. She has been extremely attentive to all my emails as well!

Did most of you book through a TA? Or do it on your own? After crunching numbers the rates from the TA are a little lower plus they include transfers to the resort.

Thanks for your help!

Hi Rachel!!

Welcome to the site!!! I'm pretty new to the website too and I've also found the ladies here to be SOOO amazing and helpful!! THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU FOR SHARING YOUR EXPERIENCES :)

I've been using Barbara ("Babs") to facilitate my trip as well.  She has been extremely helpful and everyone in my group just loves her! You are in good hands :)

Good luck with the planning! 

~Steph

Originally Posted by LolaTX View Post

I sent you a PM with clips from both Caribbean Trio and Mexican Mariachi. We chose Mariachi, but I would probably choose the Caribbean trio if I did it over again :)

OH, and we had about an hour and 10 minute gap between ceremony and cocktail hour so we could do photos in the mansion. AND, we still missed almost the entire cocktail hour, LOL!  Our guests didnt mind the gap in time, because they went to the outdoor sports bar and watched football :)

Hi LolaTX!

Could you please send those music clips my way as well?  Also, I noticed you are from Houston! I'm a Houston-area girl too :)  Did you guys fly out of IAH?  

~Steph

Hey everyone!!

I was wondering whether any of you had heard from Cecilia in the last couple of weeks?  I know sometimes it takes awhile for her to return emails, but i'm kinda concerned.  In our last email exchange she informed me that there will be a wedding ceremony in the gazebo (two hours) prior to my reception in the grassy area beside the gazebo....aaaahhhhh!!!! I really think the events will be way too close to one another.  

I asked Cecilia whether the other bride had a reception or anything else planned after the ceremony(cocktail hour, etc.) but haven't gotten a response.  I've sent three "concerned" but NICE emails over the last 2 1/2 weeks but have yet to hear anything back.

I've getting really anxious now.   Have any of you experienced this? Am I overreacting?  I just don't want myself and the other bride to have to compete for spaces or to "step on" each others events.  I'd hate for her cocktail hour to be on the beach  at the same time as my wedding ceremony.  Or for my loud reception music to overshadow an intimate reception, etc, etc, etc...I know, my imagination is probably just running wild!! ;) Can any of you offer any advice?

Oh...and would any of you happen to be the other lady getting married on July 6? :)

THANK YOU in advance :)

~Steph

Originally Posted by un4gitabl View Post

Hi Rachel!  Congratulations!!  Our wedding is in November 2013!  So we are probably going through the same things :-)  We are going through a travel agent and from my understanding that is the only way to keep your sanity! :-)  Right now I'm still giong back and forth about doing a room block or not. 

Anyone have any advice about room block vs just letting our guests book through the travel agent?

I have found the best quotation by internet tour operator and I booked the rooms for everyone.

It would be very interesting to compare the rates that each of us has paid and where the reservation was made.

This would allow the future brides to take advantage of the best offer and for the "oldbrides to choose the best for the 1st anniversary!

What do you think?

Originally Posted by msop04 View Post

1.  I noticed that a lady in a green dress (your mother I think?) wore high heels on the petate walkway.  Was she able to walk comfortably on it without her heels sinking in between the woven mats?  I know this sounds like a crazy question, but the length of my dress depends on what shoes I'll be wearing. Since we're having our reception back in the States, I bought some awesome heels (about 4 inches, 3 inches with 1 inch platform...) - but I'm worried my dress will be WAY too long for flats or bare feet for the Mexico ceremony...  Ugh!  Please help!!

I had wedge for the beach ceremony (without petate walkway) and I changed for the dinner with hight heels.

In  the bride dress trial sessions, I have tried both of them and I have choosen a good middle way, so the dress was perfect for both shoes. You should chose the shoes with a couple of centimeters of difference and you will solve the problem.

2.  How much time did you have between the ceremony and the cocktail hour? ...or did it start immediately after it?

Usually the cocktail hour starts after 1 hour the beginning of the ceremony, for example 5 pm ceremony, 6 pm cocktail but you can choose a you want.

This hour of cocktail allow you and your husband to take some pictures leaving guests at the cocktail party.

3.  Did you choose the Mexican or Caribbean Trio?  Did you get to hear both of them prior to your ceremony??  (I have a sound bite of each, but they only last about 5 seconds, so it's difficult to tell a lot about each.)  Did they perform for the cocktail hour or for dinner?  

Mexican Trio 100%!! You are in Mexico and they are the best, they can follow your request if you know traditional mexican songs.

I liked them very much and unfortunatley I took only one hour.

Originally Posted by stephnmatt View Post

Hey everyone!!

I was wondering whether any of you had heard from Cecilia in the last couple of weeks?  I know sometimes it takes awhile for her to return emails, but i'm kinda concerned.  In our last email exchange she informed me that there will be a wedding ceremony in the gazebo (two hours) prior to my reception in the grassy area beside the gazebo....aaaahhhhh!!!! I really think the events will be way too close to one another.  

The wedding gazebo isn't close the wedding canopy in the beach and if you have choosen the second option, you have the BEST option!!

I asked Cecilia whether the other bride had a reception or anything else planned after the ceremony(cocktail hour, etc.) but haven't gotten a response.  I've sent three "concerned" but NICE emails over the last 2 1/2 weeks but have yet to hear anything back.

I've getting really anxious now.   Have any of you experienced this? Am I overreacting?  I just don't want myself and the other bride to have to compete for spaces or to "step on" each others events.  I'd hate for her cocktail hour to be on the beach  at the same time as my wedding ceremony.  Or for my loud reception music to overshadow an intimate reception, etc, etc, etc...I know, my imagination is probably just running wild!! ;) Can any of you offer any advice?

The wedding canopy is the right side, at the property limit whilst the coctail ceremony is more or less in the middle of the property so they aren' very close. The beach is  very big and they will not disturb your event.

Oh...and would any of you happen to be the other lady getting married on July 6? :)

Happy planning Steph!!

THANK YOU in advance :)

~Steph

Hey everyone! After experiencing the notorious Cecilia limbo over the past few days we've received our paperwork for the deposit and extras. I literally laughed out loud when I saw they wanted close to $200 for upgraded table clothes. I am thinking of just buying some from one of the mega wholesale wedding sites like save-on-crafts.com or koyal wholesale. Also, I have seen some brides post about taking a jambox down there with them for the reception. I was thinking about doing this as well since the speaker only costs $300 verses $599.40 for three hours sound system from the resort. Any thoughts?