CKRN simply gorgeous!!! my favorite picture is of you standing in front of your husband with the back of your dress blowing up in the air!!! 

LOVE LOVE LOVE....

I am going with turquoise too and was wondering what they could do!  Looks gorge!  Did you have to pay extra for any of that table setting?

Nicole

weddings is exactly 1 month from today 

YIKES

Originally Posted by KCDawn View Post

We're doing our pictures before the ceremony so we don't miss the cocktail hour with our guests.  We're using Juan Navarro.  He and his associates are the photographers included in the package.  I contacted Juan directly and ensured he will be our photographer.  I love his work and after getting quotes from a lot of the other photographers, it just made sense to upgrade our package rather than go outside.  We just have to pay the difference between the listed package prices to upgrade, but Valeria, the other coordinator, told me we would only get $350 credit if we didn't use the photography.  Plus they charge a $100 outside vendor fee. 

I would contact Cecilia about guests staying at Silversand or Capri.  I know they have a deal where they can come to Secrets for dinner, but I'm not sure if that applies to the weddings or not.  It also probably doesn't allow them to spend any kind of extended time there.  That may be what you want, but for us, we want to spend time with our closest friends and family.  That's why we invited them.   

Thanks KC!  

I think photos before the ceremony is definitely an option (either that or allowing at least an hour in between the ceremony and cocktail hour to do it)...  I had my heart set on using an outside vendor, but just got some quotes back and they were WAAAAY out of our price range -- like over $5K!! - esp. since you can only get $350 credit and still have to pay $100 for them to get on the grounds... Juan Navarro it is!!  :)   I will look more at his work and maybe contact him personally, as you have done -- great idea!!  Did you think you needed to upgrade "a lot" or just "a little"?  We are trying so hard to stay within budget, but we also want to make sure we can capture our day in photos...  Hmmm...  

You're info is much appreciated!!  

Originally Posted by LolaTX View Post

We are having our wedding ceremony at 4pm,  and then pushing our cocktail hour to begin at 5:30pm, that way we dont miss the cocktail hour! We will do photos for the hour between ceremony and cocktail hour!

From what I understand, guest staying at another resort (even if it is Secrets resort), still have to pay $100 per person as a guest fee to come onto the property. I would definitely verify this with SMB, and keep us posted. However, that is what I was originally told several months back from my travel agent when we began this entire process.

That's a fabulous idea, LolaTX!!  I think that may be the route we go so we won't have to do them before the ceremony...  We are hoping to secure our wedding for 2/22/13 - I read that the sun is supposed to set at 5:47 CST, so what time is best to ask for the ceremony??  If it lasts 30 minutes, I'm thinking 4:00??  I want to make sure to get the good light before sunset and a few at sunset (leading into cocktail hour).  Do you think that would give us plenty of time?  Are you getting married at the first of the year?  Trying to figure out my "times" for sunset!!  :)

Thank you so much for the info about the $100 fee.  According to other SMB Brides in this forum, it seems there is no way around it, unless your guests stay at SMB...  thatswck.gif

I guess I'll just totally leave it up to my guests, making sure they know the "deal."  Man, I really hate to ask that, but I guess that's just part of it.  Maybe we can schedule a dinner together one night for those who want to stay at another Secrets?  :) 

Originally Posted by amberh1884 View Post

msop04- I have the same situation as you.  A lot of our guests waited too long and the rooms at Secrets sold out so they are all staying at other resorts.  I asked Cecilia about if they stayed at another Secrets if they would be allowed to come to Secrets Maroma for the wedding or other events at night since they have that "dine around program" where you can eat dinner at another secrets for free.  And she just said flat out no they have to pay the day pass every time they come to Secrets Maroma.  I even double checked with the information email at Secrets and they waited a month before they even got back to me and told me to ask my wedding coordinator.  Unfortunately, it looks like there is no way around it.  So, since there was no benefit for them to stay at another Secrets, the guests booked elsewhere.  Good luck with your planning!

Hi amberh1884!!  Thanks for answering my question -- I was afraid that would be the answer...  crybaby2.gif  I guess my grand idea of having a welcome bonfire/dinner is shot, but at least I know now and do not have my heart set on it...  I am afraid my guests will either A) wait too long and not be able to get the resort they want or B) not wanna pay so much to stay at SMB, which I totally understand, but have to pay the $100.  I guess I'll just leave it up to them...  

Truth be told, I originally didn't want anyone to stay at our resort, for the simple fact that we would be busy finishing the planning and I would worry they would wanna "hang" with us AFTER the wedding when we should be on our honeymoon... now I am just confused about it -- is that mean??  undecided.gif  I hope not.  I want a fun time, but after the wedding should be "us" time.  :)   

Just out of curiosity, where did your guests end up choosing to stay?  I've been to Mexico many times, but have always stayed at either Excellence, Secrets, or one of the Palaces...  Since most of my guests have never been to Mexico (or at a true all-inclusive, for that matter), I would really love for them to spring for a Secrets, since we've always had such good luck with them...  I'll keep you guys updated!  Thanks again for your help - it is greatly appreciated!!  :)

Originally Posted by msop04 View Post

Hi amberh1884!!  Thanks for answering my question -- I was afraid that would be the answer...  crybaby2.gif  I guess my grand idea of having a welcome bonfire/dinner is shot, but at least I know now and do not have my heart set on it...  I am afraid my guests will either A) wait too long and not be able to get the resort they want or B) not wanna pay so much to stay at SMB, which I totally understand, but have to pay the $100.  I guess I'll just leave it up to them...  

Truth be told, I originally didn't want anyone to stay at our resort, for the simple fact that we would be busy finishing the planning and I would worry they would wanna "hang" with us AFTER the wedding when we should be on our honeymoon... now I am just confused about it -- is that mean??  undecided.gif  I hope not.  I want a fun time, but after the wedding should be "us" time.  :)   

Just out of curiosity, where did your guests end up choosing to stay?  I've been to Mexico many times, but have always stayed at either Excellence, Secrets, or one of the Palaces...  Since most of my guests have never been to Mexico (or at a true all-inclusive, for that matter), I would really love for them to spring for a Secrets, since we've always had such good luck with them...  I'll keep you guys updated!  Thanks again for your help - it is greatly appreciated!!  :)

All of our guests so far are staying at Secrets.  We have 22 guests booked with 3 1/2 months to go!  Once people realize it's an all inclusive and they can't come and go as they please if they stay elsewhere they book at Secrets.  That's where the party is.  The wedding is only a small part of it.  If they stay elsewhere they'll miss most of the fun.  Of course, the people we have coming are all close friends and family so getting to spend the time outside of the wedding with everyone makes a difference to them.  

One thing I've heard of people doing to spend time alone after the wedding is the bride and groom switching to another resort.  The change makes it feel a little more like a separate honeymoon and you get your alone time without putting your guests out.  

Thanks KC!  

I think photos before the ceremony is definitely an option (either that or allowing at least an hour in between the ceremony and cocktail hour to do it)...  I had my heart set on using an outside vendor, but just got some quotes back and they were WAAAAY out of our price range -- like over $5K!! - esp. since you can only get $350 credit and still have to pay $100 for them to get on the grounds... Juan Navarro it is!!  :)   I will look more at his work and maybe contact him personally, as you have done -- great idea!!  Did you think you needed to upgrade "a lot" or just "a little"?  We are trying so hard to stay within budget, but we also want to make sure we can capture our day in photos...  Hmmm...  

You're info is much appreciated!!  

I did the exact same thing.  I was convinced I needed an outside photographer and got all the quotes, only to realize that it would bust the budget.  It also helped that one of the photographers I liked (Juan) was the photographer included in the package.  We upgraded to photo package 6 for $640.  One thing that I liked about Juan is he didn't push for a longer session than we wanted.  Through email I told him what we wanted to be covered and he said three hours would be enough.  Juan is doing about a half hour of getting ready pics, the "first look" and portraits before the ceremony, the ceremony, some family and group shots afterwards, and the cocktail hour.  He did tell me that he always comes prepared to work longer so if we wanted to extend the time he would be available. 

Hello everyone!!  My fiance and I are planning to get married at SMB on 2/22/2013, but are a little concerned about the planning aspect of it all...  Hopefully, some of you can give us some answers and much appreciated advice!!  Here goes...

1.  We would like for all guests (less than 20, more like 15) to stay at another resort.  The reason for this is that SMB is quite pricey and we would like to give our guests other options, and also, it's gonna be our honeymoon so we kinda want to be alone.  cool.gif

If guests stay at another Secrets resort (Silversands, Capri, The Vine), is there still a charge to get on the property for the welcome bonfire and wedding activities??  (assuming the bonfire and wedding/reception will be a couple of days apart...)??  I really hope this is an option, so that our guest won't have to pay $100/day to get on the site for each activity.  That would really be a bummer.  sad.gif

2.  We have chosen the Ultimate Package.  I know this includes all white.  We like the idea of small pops of color and LOTS of lighting (reception is after sunset).  Can certain portions of the package be exchanged for credit to use on decor/lighting??  (ex.  no photography or video in exchange for flowers, cake, or lighting credit)  Since photography is one of the main expenses, we don't wanna "pay twice."  

3.  Photography is extremely important to us, since our guest are just close family and very few close friends.  We will be having a reception when we get back home for all others, so we want to have these photos to show them, as if they were there with us.  woot.gifWe want to hire an off-sight photographer, as to avoid the "typical" photos that the resort guys usually do...  We want other photos of us (not ceremony), such as in the abandoned building next to the resort, beach photos, and others.  My concern is that our ceremony is mid afternoon and reception is after sunset (only allowing about 1 hour in between for photos.  Would it be weird to get photos made before we get married, so we can catch some of the good light and sunset in them??  Any advice ladies??

4.  Ahhhh yes... the MUSIC!  

Welcome Bonfire - we wanted to use the Mexican Trio that is included in the Ultimate package for the cocktail hour/welcome bonfire, so this leaves the ceremony and reception to consider.  

Ceremony - I would love to have a violinist play at the ceremony, but SMB's price for that is too expensive.  Anyone used an off sight violinist or string quartet??  Cost?  The other option is to use our own music... which leads to the next question... 

Reception - the options are to either bring our own music and rent their sound system (which is WAAAY overpriced, IMHO) or bring our music and a portable sound system.  Which is worth it??  I am open to any and all experiences with either - love it? hate it? any regrets??

5.  We will most likely be using Expedia to book our trip - will wedding package payment be expected before we arrive, or mostly after we've arrived and chosen what we want?  I've read that there are more options than that are listed on the site...  I'm really just a control freak and a little stressed about choosing so many things without seeing them...  BangHead.gif    Does the planner (Cecelia) send photos of other options or at least options listed upon request?  (ex.  lanterns vs. lighting balls *or* chair covers vs. different colored sashes, etc)

Sorry for the long post ladies, but I am starting to get stressed just thinking

about planning!!  Any answers or advice is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Thank ladies!

Hi!

To answer #5 on your list: You will pay for your trip through Expedia. You will talk to Cecilia before you leave for Mexico and set a time to meet with her (probably the day after you arrive). She will go over your contract, show you the wedding locations, meet with the DJ company if you are using them, and then you will pay for the wedding cost. You will want to have most of it chosen before you arrive. When you meet with Cecilia, you can make changes if you want. We changed a couple of things such as extending the reception for an hour and changed the location of the cocktail hour.

Cecilia will send you photos of whatever you want, but this thread is a great source to see real photos of the lanterns, etc as well. You will have to request them from her and be patient. She will not rush to send them out to you immediately. The way that I did the planning was just started going down the contract when Cecilia sent it to me and filled it out then scanned it and sent it back. I just did that over and over til it was all planned. I added whatever extras I wanted throughout the process.

If you have most of the planning done, you will only have to spend an hour with Cecilia and the rest of the day can be spent at the spa or the beach. :) Whatever you choose for sashes or lighting will look beautiful. They really do a great job, no matter how simple or how extravagant you decide to go. Good luck and congrats!

Originally Posted by beachbride2013 View Post

Hi!

To answer #5 on your list: You will pay for your trip through Expedia. You will talk to Cecilia before you leave for Mexico and set a time to meet with her (probably the day after you arrive). She will go over your contract, show you the wedding locations, meet with the DJ company if you are using them, and then you will pay for the wedding cost. You will want to have most of it chosen before you arrive. When you meet with Cecilia, you can make changes if you want. We changed a couple of things such as extending the reception for an hour and changed the location of the cocktail hour.

Cecilia will send you photos of whatever you want, but this thread is a great source to see real photos of the lanterns, etc as well. You will have to request them from her and be patient. She will not rush to send them out to you immediately. The way that I did the planning was just started going down the contract when Cecilia sent it to me and filled it out then scanned it and sent it back. I just did that over and over til it was all planned. I added whatever extras I wanted throughout the process.

If you have most of the planning done, you will only have to spend an hour with Cecilia and the rest of the day can be spent at the spa or the beach. :) Whatever you choose for sashes or lighting will look beautiful. They really do a great job, no matter how simple or how extravagant you decide to go. Good luck and congrats!

I filled out a wedding request form, but I hope I can change sites and times (I requested 5:00, but need it to be more like 4:00, hopefully that's an easy fix), etc...  I was hoping the form was more to check for availability  of the date, which so far SMB site shows no one had signed up for just yet.  Cecelia responded to me, but did not answer ANY of my questions about... well... anything.  blink.gif   She just said "congrats" and "most important is choosing a date" (I paraphrase...) -- isn't that what I did when I sent in the request form??  Hmmm...  I really thought this whole destination wedding idea was supposed to be less stress, but the correspondence is gonna be the death of me!  HA!  

But I just need to relax and get to one thing at a time.  If Cecelia wants a date, then a date it is!!  :)  I appreciated you answering my questions - it definitely makes me feel better!!  Thanks beachbride2013!!

Hi Jen, I would have to say that the DJ was not cheesy at all. I was also worried about this bc I have seen some cheesy DJ's here in the states at weddings and parties. He spoke to us privately right before the reception (introduction of us and bridal party to guests). He talked us through everything privately and did a great job making announcements like the cake cutting, first dance, etc. Def not cheesy or corny. I thought he was really cool and just seemed really comfortable and confident with what he was doing. Def very professional and dressed in all black with slacks, dress shoes, and a jacket too. They played perfect music for the dinner and right after dinner, he had every single guest dancing and we danced all night. He didn't play anything like the chicken dance or hokey pokey and he sounded great when he spoke. It was so much fun!

Thanks BeachBride!!  Do you remember his name?  I think I'd like to ask for him if we decide to go with a dj because it sounds like he'd be perfect!

Hi Jen, I would have to say that the DJ was not cheesy at all. I was also worried about this bc I have seen some cheesy DJ's here in the states at weddings and parties. He spoke to us privately right before the reception (introduction of us and bridal party to guests). He talked us through everything privately and did a great job making announcements like the cake cutting, first dance, etc. Def not cheesy or corny. I thought he was really cool and just seemed really comfortable and confident with what he was doing. Def very professional and dressed in all black with slacks, dress shoes, and a jacket too. They played perfect music for the dinner and right after dinner, he had every single guest dancing and we danced all night. He didn't play anything like the chicken dance or hokey pokey and he sounded great when he spoke. It was so much fun!

Thanks BeachBride!  Do you remember his name?  I think I'd like to ask for him if we decide to go with a DJ as he sounds great!