El Dorado Maroma is also very nice.  I did a site visit there as well.  It kind of depends on the size of your party and what you are looking for in a resort.  EDM is a lot smaller and quieter, with a lot less restaurants/bars/activities.  If you have more of a relaxed group I would recommend EDM, but if you feel like you would like more going on and more options for people SMB would probably be a better choice.  They both have an amazing beach, obviously, since they are both on Maroma beach.  I have been getting slightly higher price quotes for EDM as compared to SMB, so that is something to factor in as well.  Hope that helps!

Originally Posted by scdoc3 View Post

HI All,

I am trying to decide between the El Dorado Maroma and the Secrets Maroma? I've read such great things about the Secrets Maroma but I haven't seen any reviews on El Dorado Maroma..so I wanted to hear all your thoughts on this place as well. Any advice is appreciated!

In case some of you are wondering, I believe Cecilia's e-mail address is weddings.semrc@secretsresorts.com and Valeria's is weddings1.semrc@secretsresorts.com.  I received an out of office reply from Valeria and she said for urgent matters I could contact Cecilia at that address.

Hi

I am also from Canada and have booked through a wedding TA. We found the same thing that it is not any cheaper to book room and flight separate so reserved the package. I do know that it was a couple hundred cheaper for guests who only wanted to go for half the week - so that might be an option for some of your family. We ended up getting a great deal for SMB but it still has out priced some guests but having a destination wedding is going to out price people no matter which resort you choose. One thing to bear in mind though (as an example) initially my grandpa and his wife were looking at staying at other properties to save money but in the end they decided to just go for it and booked.

Another thing to mention is that we ended up changing the time of year to save guests money. Originally we were planning for March 2012 but the TA found a smokin' deal for December 2011 and we went for it - so changing the time of year might help too. Only downside with that move is a few people had already used all the holiday time for the year so despite the more affordable price won't be able to come for other reasons.

So many things to consider but just remember, no matter what you end up deciding you sadly won't be able to please everyone.

Hope that helps

Originally Posted by cole379 View Post

Hi Ladies,

I was hoping you guys could offer your advice on the cheapest way to book Secrets Maroma Beach. We got a travel agent in Canada who looked up packages for us with the Airlines (hotel and flight included) and it looks like she found a great deal for a week stay. However, the price still came back to high for some of our guests (immediate family who we want to accommodate so they can attend) so right now Secrets is out. I am racking my brain trying to think of a way to get everything cheaper for them since I LOVE the resort. What is the best way you found to get a great deal for Secrets for your flights and accommodations for the wedding? Booking flight and hotel separate? Packages? It is hard because a year out things as it is still so pricey! Someone suggested they come for less than a week, but when we got a quote it was very close in price since we lost the ‘week package deal†with the airline so it made no sense! Any advice?

we had our wedding June 7th at 6pm. It went smoothly. We worked with Valeria who did everything she said she would. It was a small wedding on the beach with just 4 guests. Our photographer was Alex from the Juan Navarro studio. He was okay. We paid for package 3 which was 2 hrs. He gave us 2 hrs. he also put some of the best pictures on an additional DVD then sold us that one for $250. I knew he was going to do it, warned him about doing it, and he did it anyway. He argued that the "mandatory pictures" were in the pictures he gave us with the package. I argued that I paid for 2 hrs and expected him to include the best pictures in the 50 pics we got.He was nice enough, and we got some good pictures but again, hate the extra DVD picture crap.

The resort itself was impressive. The beach was awesome, the food was good, and the service outstanding.    

Has anyone opted to have their dinner reception in one of the restaurants versus doing a private event?  If so, can you let me know how your experience was?  Which restaurant did you have it at?  Was it semi-private or were you intermingled with other guests?  If you were doing it again, would you have done the restaurant reception or done a private event?  Anything you wish you would have known beforehand?  Thanks!

Hey everyone!

We just recently booked our wedding at Secrets Maroma Beach for 1.21.12 and I am SO excited!

Any feedback that you can offer would be much appreciated! Any other brides going to be there then? Our trip is 1.16 - 1.25.

Hi All,

Do you guys know what the fee is to bring an outside photographer? Is the resort really picky about that? My TA said that at some places you can just get them a "day pass" but not tell the resort that they're your photographer? That sounds a little iffy to me just because I'll have a "guest" who'll be photographing me. Does that make sense? If you guys experienced this please let me know! Thank you!

Originally Posted by scdoc3 View Post

Hi All,

Do you guys know what the fee is to bring an outside photographer? Is the resort really picky about that? My TA said that at some places you can just get them a "day pass" but not tell the resort that they're your photographer? That sounds a little iffy to me just because I'll have a "guest" who'll be photographing me. Does that make sense? If you guys experienced this please let me know! Thank you!

I believe it is $100 for outside vendor and it isn't worth the worry of trying to pass them off as guest to save $30. Valeria threw in enough free and unasked for stuff for our ceremony to more than make up for paying the $100 so I wouldn't try and do that, it may end up costing more in the end.