Originally Posted by CourtShan View Post

Hi Ladies- I just got married there on Sat, Jan 8th and I have to tell you it was AMAZINGG!!!!  I was very concerned esp because the communication wasnt always the best with Cecilia and I will do my best to write up a review over the weekend but honestly it was the best time of our lives. We went with a group of 45 ( friends/family) and everyone raved about the resort, food, staff and wedding.  Overall, I would highly recommend this resort becuase the whole event was great!

If after you read the review if you have any questions please feel free to private message me.

Cant wait to hear the review........Congrats I am so happy for you.....are you sad it is over???

I'm getting married at SMB on 9/4/11.  We are expecting about 80 guests.  We are on a pretty tight budget as far as destination weddings go and we're trying to be creative in order to get the most out of the big day. 

Question-  Is anyone having a similar sized wedding this summer and taking/shipping their own ceremony, reception dinner table decorations that they would consider leaving down there for us?  Would love to see pics!

Also, if anyone has any pointers about loopholes they found in terms cutting costs at this resort.  I'm all ears!

Getting really excited!

We are trying to decide on our date and we are leaning towards 9/4/11 because it's labor day weekend and it will be easier for people to travel over the long weekend.  That said, I am a little nervous about the weather this time of year.  Anyone on here get married around that time and have terrible weather (ie Hurricanes, non-stop downpour)?

Originally Posted by SMB2B View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo View Post

The amazingly talented Elizabeth has blogged about our wedding

http://www.elizabethmedinaphotography.com/blog/

Ceremony location: Secrets Maroma

Reception location: Dreams Riviera Cancun

boo.... in love!!!  everything looks like a dream. love your flowers!  

where did you buy thethank you  parasol?

Bought the Thank You parasol online at etsy

http://www.etsy.com/transaction/32114571

great quality!  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Ladies!  Its been forever since I have visited this site (I was recovering from MAJOR reconstructive ankle and foot surgery)  But there was somthing VERY important that I needed to let the rest of the furture SMB brides know as well as get some pointers from past brides....

Our wedding Is April 30th, and we had just shipped box #1 of 4 down to cecilia and the resort by Fex-Ex. We followed the shipping procedures very closly as well as double checking with Cecilia as to exactly how this should be done.  Well to our surpize.... the box WAS STOPPED in customs down in Mexico (Cancun to be exact).  At first we were told that a "trace agent" would be assigned to our case and who would call in the 'argricultural department' to test the items in this package to make sure everything in this box was ok to be cleared.  Real long story short.... after numerous phone calls to both Fed-Ex, Cecilia, Mexican Customs and the "trace agent' (which we are still not sure exactly who or what a "trace agent" is lol) we have found out that our entire shipment will be returned to us!  And not to even TRY to send the rest of our boxes!

The customs in Mexico had made it very clear that NO PERSONAL ITEMS may be shipped to Mexico... whatsoever!  hissyfit.gif  Personal items in thier eyes inclde... and item that will be used, or consumed by a person, (we knew that food could not clear cusotms so there was no food itmes.  But every thing else is EVERYTHING personal in thier eyes!  We had a cake topper, Wedding guest book, Personal photo frames with family pictures, wedding favors, sand ceremony vases and sand for this ceremony!  that was only that box!  We still had other boxes with our flutes, cake cutters, and items for our guests welcome bags!   My FI and I are so upset over this entire situation.  And especially since SMB website has an entire page under "weddings" on shipping procedures. 

If any other brides past or future, have any suggestions on what we should do about this situation or what you had done to get your items down to SMB, we really would appreciate any help.  The only suggestion that Cecilia has made was to pack these items in our luggage.  But, understandably we are nervous about this because not only do we have 4 boxes of items with the items that i had listed but also other wedding decotations and personal items that we wanted to bring to add those personal touches that we had envisoned for our Big day.  And since the airlines now have such strict rules about what can and cannot be brought onto a passenger plane, this is completley stressing us out.  Our wedding planner here in the states had contacted the TSA about what can and cannot be packed, and thier answer was "no matter if the items are on the list of items that can be packed, every item is still under the descretion of the TSA agent who will be searching the luggage at customs/point of entry into Mexico."  After everything that happened with the box that was rejected, I'm not sure if we want to take ANY chances of being held up with any items that may be questionable.

And the other thing that is getting me worried, is that if this box of items was stopped and rejected by itself on a cargo plane without a person, why in the world would it be OK to bring or pack on a pasenger plane with humans??  That part I am just not understanding nor comfortable with.  BTW, none of the items are even close to explosives or what not.  But only the point of Cecilia saying it would be OK to bring it on a passenger airline.

PLEASE HELP!  BangHead.gif  How did everyone get thier items to SMB?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you all so much! 

feedback.gif

XOXO

Hello Everyone!

Sorry that I can't answer anyone else's questions since this is my first time posting! I have been following along since I got engaged but as we get closer to making a decision about a possible DW I thought I would ask my first question.

I have been doing a ton of research and really love the look of Secrets Maroma Beach. It is top of our list right now and we would love to book the resort for our wedding. The problem is that for some of our important guests, the cost of the resort is looking quite high. I just started working with a travel agent and was hoping I could get some advice on how you other brides got the best deal for your guests. Does the resort offer a discount for wedding guests? How did you ensure a great deal for your wedding guests? I am assuming a travel agent is important for booking for a large group but how do we still get a great rate? Any help on this would be appreciated since if we cannot secure them a good rate we might not chose this hotel.

Thanks!

Hello Everyone,

Sorry that I cannot help anyone with their questions but this is my first post! I have been doing a lot of research on Secrets Maroma Beach and I would love to have a wedding there. I am just hoping that you fellow brides who have already booked there can answer a question for me.

For some of our important guests, price is an issue. Therefore, if we cannot get a great deal on the resort we might not be able to book it (we are already paying for a few family members but helping out everyone a bit is out of our budget). How did you go about getting a great deal for your guests? Does the resort offer a discount to our wedding guests for staying at the resort? We just started working with a travel agent and I want to make sure she can get me the best deal possible. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated!

Thanks!