knitgirl,

That last figure just looks like a typo to me. Of course, $180 + 10% tax doesn't equal 199.80 either, but it is closer than $180 + 10% tax equaling 599.40. Anyway, maybe she can clear it up with better math on her part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl13 View Post
Now, if it was a DJ I could justify the costs but we said we'd bring music on an IPOD. I wrote back and told her we wouldn't need the use of it, but she just said ok and left the contract the same... I'm not comfortable signing it... Ugh, it's stressing me out already. I considered just switching to Excellence Playa because their coordinator seems more helpful, but my fiance really prefers SMB and the beach looks amazing so I don't know... Here's what it says on the contract:

Sound Stereo System for Ceremony $180 usd +10% tax $ 199.80
(speakers, microphone) Music will be bring by their own.

Sound Stereo System for Reception, 3 hours, $180 usd +10% tax $ 599.40
I would just ask Cecilia to update the contract before you sign it.

Quote:
What is everyone doing about music? Cecilia sent me the contract with ~$800 for sound system rental on there! There's no way I want to pay that, it's the cost of the whole wedding package! Can we use an Ipod dock? I'd rather just ask for one for my birthday and take it with me or something. We're having a very small, but outdoor, reception.

We used an IPod Dock for our music at dinner and cocktail reception (held at the gazebo by the pool) and it was perfect. There was no reason to waste the money on speakers if you are not having a DJ. We used the flautist for the ceremony, any of their in house muscians are great! I would hire a muscian for the ceremony. We had a few issues before the ceremony and the muscian entertained our guests until everything was ready.

Quote:
Now, if it was a DJ I could justify the costs but we said we'd bring music on an IPOD. I wrote back and told her we wouldn't need the use of it, but she just said ok and left the contract the same... I'm not comfortable signing it... Ugh, it's stressing me out already. I considered just switching to Excellence Playa because their coordinator seems more helpful, but my fiance really prefers SMB and the beach looks amazing so I don't know... Here's what it says on the contract:

Sound Stereo System for Ceremony $180 usd +10% tax $ 199.80

Sound Stereo System for Reception, 3 hours, $180 usd +10% tax $ 599.40
Cecilia will revise the contract a lot for you - it really doesn't end up really having any bearing for a while anyway. We have made so many revisions and additions in the past couple months that the contract I originally signed isn't including a lot of our additions.
I wouldn't worry - if you don't need the speakers or microphone, just let her know you may only need an extension cord and she will help you out.
It's also very challenging getting your point across on email.

TRUST me - this is the BEST beach in the area, i wouldn't switch. Take a deep breath - you can also wait until you get there before your wedding to make adjustments, it's not like a wedding in the states that needs every detail planned a year in advance. I'm 4 months and 6 days away from my wedding and we still have some little details to talk about with Cecilia but I'm going to wait until it gets a little closer.

general question: how can i find the wedding review page for SMB on here? I cant seem to find it. do we have one? im trying to get ideas for centerpeices and set-ups.

Anyone else using Secrets Honeymoon registry? and if so are you registering somewhere else too? Both of our parents keep saying that we NEED to have another store option. But we live together and dont need or want another toaster, coffe maker, etc. And really would love (and need) help for the honeymoon, excersions, etc..... maybe since the whole "honeymoon registry" idea is pretty so-to-say new, the older generation just dosnt get it..... what are your thoughts?

Knitgirl,

Your contract will continue to change constantly. Please dont get discouraged. I understand that it is scary to think that by signing it, it will be final. But I went through the same thing about not wanting to sign because we didnt have every little detail picked out yet. We still dont. But the contract with SMB is and will continue to change, they will not hold anything to it. I was reassured by both Cecilia and my personal wedding planner that I hired here in the states that it is a revised contract and "open contract"

But SMB place is breathtaking. I have only heard great reviews on thier weddings. I also requested the rental of the speaker system instead of a DJ so that I could budget in the photgrapher I really wanted. I would def use thier speaker system for the ceremony if you are doing it on the beach (which is what many brides have suggested due to the noise of the water, waves, wind etc.) and you will want your guests to hear your vows.... personally i think thats the most important part of the day! :) Then depending on where you are having your reception set up, maybe you wont even need the whole system for the rest of the night. Depending on where, you might be able to go with a docking station. I know we wont need it for cocktail hour since the Mexican trio is included in our package for a 45 minute set. ((oh, BTW, Does anyone else find it hysterical that they say mexican "trio" but there's really 4 of them? lol anyway....))

Our wedding isn't until April and I have probably updated or changed my contract 5 times since January. We still havent picked a definate reception location, and we prob wont until we are down there. just rem that this contract isnt set in stone. more like an open-process. Hang in there, everything will be perfect and beautiful :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryncesslinda View Post
general question: how can i find the wedding review page for SMB on here? I cant seem to find it. do we have one? im trying to get ideas for centerpeices and set-ups.

Anyone else using Secrets Honeymoon registry? and if so are you registering somewhere else too? Both of our parents keep saying that we NEED to have another store option. But we live together and dont need or want another toaster, coffe maker, etc. And really would love (and need) help for the honeymoon, excersions, etc..... maybe since the whole "honeymoon registry" idea is pretty so-to-say new, the older generation just dosnt get it..... what are your thoughts?
there is a great review a few pages back on this thread and you can also check the section of the board too. I sat with Cecilia and she showed me options for centerpeices and I picked one :) we are doing large glass hurricanes with candles and an assortment of our flowers in them and around the table. Nothing too crazy or fancy. Ask Cecilia to send you the pics of the centerpeices they have - she will help you!

As for your registry - we aren't doing the honeymoon registry but we are registered at a bunch of stores. We have been living together for a year and half and don't "need" anything but we are registered for nicer stuff. We also have an amazon.com registry which we have a flip video camera, and a Wii on there :) you should also think about gifts for your bridal shower too. I have also heard of other things like registering for "seed" money for a house - instead of people writting you checks or cash, they can go through this site. I believe it's called the Wishing Well - but I could be wrong.

Good luck!

If you are getting married at Secrets Maroma, we HIGHLY recommend Juan Navarro as your photographer. We upgraded our package and also did a TTD (trash the dress) photo shoot the following day. Our pictures are amazing. We couldn't be happier. There were so many beautiful pictures if was hard to choose! Not such a bad thing thought huh!!!! He and his assistant were very professional and talented AND AFFORDABLE. We are so pleased with everything.

Also, DJ MANIA was fantastic!!!! Great music. Kept everyone dancing. NO CHEESY music. It was great. We even requested a song that they didn't have and they were able to use WiFi and download it so it could be played. They rocked!

Hey girls I need some advice.. my FI is driving me absolutly insane about our group rates! We have a wedding planner up here who has been working on group rates with two travel agents and they have been going back and fourth for weeks now tryign to negotiate the lowest possible rates. All of a sudden this weekend my FI decides to start searching for rates on .com's... well of course when you get soem 40% off sales, rates look fab, but they wont hold those rates until next April. They can change any day! So he wasn't getting this so I had to call them and personally speak to them about our situation, destination wedding, not sure # of rooms, etc. Well they would give us these 40% off rates if we book today. Umm hello? my guests arent ready to book yet. Our dave-the dates only just went out!

I just dont think he understands that we aren't just booking a 2 person vacay. Also our Planner and these TA's are going to be coordinating all of our guests transfers and other small details.

So we had a big conference call today with our planner and the TA, me and my FI. They gave us thier final quotes and helped explain to him more of exactly what they are helping us with. I think they are good rates, and he thinks they are insane! The rates we got today were $100 cheaper per person per night than what we thought they would be when we signed contract for the actual wedding at SMB. Ughh! I dont know what to do. He doesnt want to go with the TA thats been workign on our rates for weeks, and I dont want our guests to "fend for themselves" either.

What to do what to do!

Please help im going crazy!

sorry I was so flustered, I apologize for my spelling errors (I am at work and was just typing really fast and sort of venting).

Jaccat- thanks for the other registry ideas, and your centerpeices sound real nice! I will have to ask her for some more pics. I am still waiting for pics of the diff reception locations all set-up from Cecilia.