Photo

Non-DIYer considering doing invites...worth it?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bashigyal

bashigyal
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 02:58 AM

Ok so I'm not the creative time, but I know enough friends who are that can help me. Just not feeling any invitations I see online, stores, etc. that are w/in my budget and my friend has offered to design an invite. Hmmm...can I really do this?

So 1 option is CardsandPockets.com @ $230 for 70 complete invites w/ inserts and envelopes that I'll get in 1 wk. But I've been so indecisive that I've wasted too much time. I am at the 2 month mark this weekend and need to get something out the door! Looking for another option... Is there good quality, yet reasonably priced paper & envelopes I can buy in a store (and if so, which?) ASAP, then print and assemble to mail out in the next few days? Or would I be in over my head if I'm an impatient non-DIYer?

Is it worth the extra effort?? And if so, can someone please point me in the right direction with a quick paper supplier, fonts, supplies, and type of printer I'd need to find?

Sad, aren't I? LOL Please someone help a clueless bride-to-be! *sigh*

#2 edssbride09

edssbride09
    • 233 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 03:05 AM

Wow! Well in terms of paper supplier, Paper-source.com is amazing. I have ordered from them twice, and both times i got my items in 3 days!!! (AND I AM IN CANADA). They are amazing, so for quick service for DIY I would definitely go that route!

I made boarding pass invites myself, and put in about 6 hours of work in total of cutting, taping, etc. I adapted a template from here and they turned out amazing!!! You may want to go super simple and just go with 1 sheet... with a cool design or flourish on it, and put it in an envelope.... what about the white #10 flat cards... then with a damask pattern or something, and black font. Get pink envelopes or something cute and voila... simple, non-intensive invites?

Hmm.. those are just my suggestions for now

#3 adias.angel

adias.angel
      • 719 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:07 AM

It is so worth it to get exactly what you want. I am doing it.

I actually designed a template for a BDW member, Sanddune, that was the invite and inserts so that she could order just the pocketfolds. So it is very do able and saves a bunch of money.

For mine I am creating my own pocketfolds from scratch instead of ordering them. I am working on template for it right now for 6x6 invites. Carla

#4 CantWait!

CantWait!
        • Banned
        • 48 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 03:01 PM

I'm so glad you posted this!

I'm hoping to pull something together myself -- and with little time. While I haven't attempted this yet, Paper Source is supposed to be an awesome place with a ton of inventory. If it's too pricey, I've heard that even places like Michaels and Staples carry some good options.

Also, I have seen some posts (but it was a while ago) that there are some brides out here who will create some cool monograms/logos that you can use for your invites. I'm now needing to find them again! Ladies, if you're still out here, I could really use your help!

Good luck bashigyal! I hope to get started on my invitations sometime next week...so I'll post lessons learned as I go if it gets tricky.

#5 Virg

Virg
          • 684 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 04:47 PM

I agree! WELL WORTH IT! And alot of fun really! I am still in the design stages of my boarding pass invites, I have been working on them on and off for a few weeks, but I am almost there! I cannot wait to have them done! The guests that we have showed the sample to think it is fabulous!
            Happily Ever After: June 1, 2006
            Made it legal : June 30, 2009

http://i37.photobuck....h_IMG_8136.jpg

#6 Kla.Kari

Kla.Kari
            • 101 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 04:48 PM

Some other paper sources include:

Card Stock, Vellum Paper, Envelopes, Metallic Cardstock, Invitation Cards Specialty Wedding Stationery - Paperandmore.com
              Blue Dot Paper Shop | Paper Products to Inspire You
              Specialty Paper, Envelopes and Invitation Supplies by Envelopemall

I have purchased mainly from Paper and More, and they are very quick; and I have found some great deals at Michaels (they have a sale right now on their individual cardstock 12x12 where each sheet is $0.25).
              Courtesy of Josh Brown Photography

Pigeon Island, St. Lucia
              April 11, 2009Simply Beautiful

#7 latinbeauty

latinbeauty
              • 117 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 10:07 PM

Definitely, I think DIY is the way to go. Although i'm still in the designing stages i feel i will be much happier than buying what's out there. A lot of the stuff i've seen out there for invitations seems so generic....
                Some people persue happiness, others make it -Unknown
                http://ticker.7910.o....nJpZWQgSW4.gif

#8 Kristy!

Kristy!

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                • 6,368 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:36 AM

I'm not very crafty, but I made my boarding pass invites and am SO happy I did. I got a large pack of white cardstock from Wal-Mart (110 lb.) for like $6. They turned out really great and I would HIGHLY recommend making your own invitations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users