Jump to content

Photo

I think my dog has diabetes *updated*


  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 MsShelley

MsShelley

    VIP Member

  • VIP Member
  • 10,366 posts

    Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:01 PM

    So our 8 year old dog has been drinking and peeing like crazy, has an appetite of a horse and has been losing weight like crazy. I googled his symptoms and it all points to canine diabetes.
    The soonest we could get him to the vet was tomorrow at 10:30, we will know more then. Has anyone experienced this or does your dog have diabetes? We are trying to prepare ourselves if it is, but still hoping that maybe it's not! Any advice or suggestions would be great.

    #2 Ana

    Ana

      VIP Member

    • VIP Member
    • 8,047 posts
    • Wedding Date:April 1, 2009
    • Wedding Location:Dreams Cabo
    • LocationToronto

    Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:05 PM

    AW i'm so sorry it might not be diabetes though. Our dog Celtic had the same symptoms and it was a hyperthyroid...which we were able to treat with meds. Keep us posted on what the vet says! I'll be thinking of you guys!

    #3 MsShelley

    MsShelley

      VIP Member

    • VIP Member
    • 10,366 posts

      Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:09 PM

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Ana
      AW i'm so sorry it might not be diabetes though. Our dog Celtic had the same symptoms and it was a hyperthyroid...which we were able to treat with meds. Keep us posted on what the vet says! I'll be thinking of you guys!

      I will thank you! Did it come on really sudden? were there anymore symptoms?

      #4 Ana

      Ana

        VIP Member

      • VIP Member
      • 8,047 posts
      • Wedding Date:April 1, 2009
      • Wedding Location:Dreams Cabo
      • LocationToronto

      Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:14 PM

      I don't remember there being anything else actually. Well he had colitis when he was a puppy, but I'm not sure that was related. And it did start all of a sudden, once he hit about the age of 2.

      #5 MsShelley

      MsShelley

        VIP Member

      • VIP Member
      • 10,366 posts

        Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:26 PM

        ok, good to know, thank you!

        #6 Ana

        Ana

          VIP Member

        • VIP Member
        • 8,047 posts
        • Wedding Date:April 1, 2009
        • Wedding Location:Dreams Cabo
        • LocationToronto

        Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:28 PM

        np :) I'm sure that he will be ok!

        #7 Mylee84

        Mylee84
        • Jr. Member
        • 287 posts

          Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:31 PM

          MsShelley, Im sorry about your dog. I had yorkie poodle for 13 years and he had diabetes for about three years. We had to give him a shot of insulin twice a day and we managed it very well. He did have some of those symptoms. I hope its not, but if it is dont worry about it, it is easily manageable. A good look on it is when we gave my dog his shot twice a day he loved it because we gave him the juicy food so he thought it was a treat. Keep us up dated!!

          #8 *JillD*

          *JillD*
          • Sr. Member
          • 5,112 posts

            Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:31 PM

            I don't know anything about canine diabetes, but good luck at the vets tomorrow. I hope everythings okay :)

            #9 Kat81

            Kat81
            • VIP Member
            • 7,615 posts

              Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:32 PM

              My friends dog had diabetes. I don't remember the symptoms on the onset of it. But I know it was easy to control. She just had to give her a pill everyday.

              #10 MsShelley

              MsShelley

                VIP Member

              • VIP Member
              • 10,366 posts

                Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:37 PM

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Mylee84
                MsShelley, Im sorry about your dog. I had yorkie poodle for 13 years and he had diabetes for about three years. We had to give him a shot of insulin twice a day and we managed it very well. He did have some of those symptoms. I hope its not, but if it is dont worry about it, it is easily manageable. A good look on it is when we gave my dog his shot twice a day he loved it because we gave him the juicy food so he thought it was a treat. Keep us up dated!!
                yeah, I talked to a lady at work that her cat has diabetes and apparently the vet told her not to feed him dry food. He will be loving life. I just want him to feel better, you can definitely tell he isn't well.

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by TA Jill
                I don't know anything about canine diabetes, but good luck at the vets tomorrow. I hope everythings okay :)
                thanks Jill, I will definitely update evryone tomorrow

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Kat81
                My friends dog had diabetes. I don't remember the symptoms on the onset of it. But I know it was easy to control. She just had to give her a pill everyday.
                a pill? that would be awesome, I thought you had to give them the shots of insulin




                0 user(s) are reading this topic

                0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users