Dress advice for girl with hips???

Okay, so I'm on the verge of becoming a two-dress bride.... I bought a traditional gown this summer-- very pretty A-line dress with lace and all the trimmings.

Dress #1

Click the image to open in full size.

It's going to be on the heavy/hot side, but I figured I'd work it out. But I've been worrying about it in the back of my mind... and when I gave my 8-year-old niece a sneak peek at the dress, she said it was lovely but right away she also said, don't you know how HOT it's gonna be to wear that in JAMAICA??

So I gave into my nagging fear and went looking again this weekend. I found a very cute dress with lace & sequins just like the other one, except it's fitted. I always wanted a fitted dress but had been afraid since I've got serious hips.

Here it is, from my cameraphone. Keep in mind that this size is too small-- I'd have to get it in the next size bigger and have the top taken in, but I already love it more than the first dress.

Dress #2

What should I do? Stick with the traditional A-line gown or go daring with the fitted one? I know the books & guides always steer curvy girls toward the A-line dresses but I know my hubby-to-be would love to see me in a dress that shows off the curves!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok.. so for a pear shaped body (I have one too .. Im a xsmall, or size 0 or two on top and a 6 on the bottom); you are supposed to wear a-lines to balance out your body and camoflague anything YOU DON'T LIKE!

I am going through the same thing as you are ... should I go for the a-line or empire waist dress or get something more fitted.

If you love your curves and Fh loves your curves, go for it!! If you feel sexy, you will look sexy.

Both dresses look stunning on you.. so you really can't make the wrong choice!

what about something between the two, like a trumpet skirt?

i am VERY hippy and bottom heavy (17-inch difference between my waist and hips!) so i didn't dare try on anything fitted. honestly, i think you look great in the fitted one, keeping in mind that the dress in the pic is too small! i think if you and your fiance both love your curves, you should embrace them and go with the sexy one! what is the material tho? i would think it could end up being just as hot if not hotter because it's tight against your body.

Both are really pretty but the fitted one really catches my eye! I also seem to notice a smile while you have that dress on. Were you just smiling for the picture or smiling cuz you liked the way that you looked?msnwink.gif

I say go for the one that you LOVE the most & that you're most comfortable in. Forget about what you're "supposed" to wear and just go with what you "want" to wear, especially if FI would like to see you in something fitted.

Also, it was hot in Jamaica, but I don't remember feeling like it was unbearable with my dress. I did change my dress but that was because I wanted to be free to enjoy dancing. Actually, you could always keep BOTH dresses & maybe change into the fitted one for the receptionhuh.gif LOLpunk.gif

Thanks for your advice so far, ladies! I guess this is why you don't go dress shopping so far in advance... you're bound to change your mind! wacko.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by adias.angel View Post
I love the A-line one. Who makes it?
They're both from David's Bridal. The A-line dress is CT2406. Here it is on the model.

And here's the other one on the model (with significantly less hip & thigh than me of course!).

I really think you need to go with the one you love. Who cares what the books say? You don't want to get your dress on at Jamaica and look in the mirror and say, "Enh...I wish I bought the other one..." But I agree too--if you can get away with buying both, do that! Best of both worlds! :-) Not many people could afford that though. ;-)