Proper way of asking for gifts???

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 emaya77

• 92 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 01:19 AM

We would like to have a registry, but are worried that guests will be offended, since they are already paying to travel to our wedding.

What is the proper way of asking guests for gifts

#2 cendcar

• 163 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:03 AM

We did register at two places since my coworkers kept bugging me about it. On our webpage, under the registry tab, we put a little note :

Because this will be a Destination Wedding, gifts are not necessary. However, we have been getting some requests to register anyway, so we will register at a couple of stores

To be honest, I don't think you should expect your guests to buy you gifts on top of already spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on your trip. That being said, you can always just put out a registry anyway (power of suggestion) and say it is for co-workers.

#3 cougs

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 12,151 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 03:04 AM

we registered as well, because friends and coworkers (and a few family members, especially those who can't attend the wedding) were harassing us! it is usually considered poor etiquette to say where you're registered on your invites. if anyone is going to throw you a shower it should be listed on your shower invitations tho! we also posted it on our wedding website. this is how we worded it, with a link to our actual registry:

The greatest gift we could possibly receive is if you would join us in Mexico. We need nothing other than to be surrounded by our family and friends for our wedding to truly be a "wedding in paradise!" The costs of attending are substantial, and we wouldn't dream of asking anything more. Your "presence" will be our "presents!"

That said, some of you are stubborn and will insist on gift-giving ... for you, we have registered at Target.

#4 ginainabottle

• 18 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 04:40 AM

My maid of honor included registry inserts in my bridal shower invitations. We also included information on our website and made sure to note that our guests' presence at our wedding was the best gift we could ask for.

#5 tylersgirl

• 1,681 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 10:11 AM

My friends are inserting a special page along with my shower invite that will say where we are registered and have directions to the shower. I'm not expecting any presents at my DW. =)

#6 emaya77

• 92 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:04 PM

I am definitely not expecting any presents for our wedding!! But, like many of you have said...certain people insist anyway. So that being the case, I guess I will need to let people know there is a registry should they feel the need...I just don't want anyone to take it out of context.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users