how to clean tile grout?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 katrina

VIP Member

• VIP Member
  • 4,328 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 11:29 AM

does anyone know the best way to clean floor tile grout? i have light tan ceramic tile with white grout in the bathroom which has not been sealed (previous owners' dumb idea) and now all of the grout in front of the tub and sink is a dark brown and the rest of the room is white. looks awful!

i googled this and there were dozens of different ideas but before i go and wing it, has anyone used a particular product or method? i did a quick test of tub and tile cleaner and a hard bristled toothbrush, and it worked out okay, but not as great as i had hoped.

#2 DallasAshli

• 451 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 11:56 AM

We use Lysol Mildew Remover with Bleach and it really works! It's the best cleaning product I've found. It does stink, so you need to make sure your air vent/fan thing is on and try to keep as much circulation as possible.

Good luck!

#3 Bianca

• 1,057 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 12:18 PM

Have you tried just some Comet or Ajax powder stuff? I think its bleach.
        19 adults/3 children with flights booked! 10 rooms booked!

#4 1elephant

• VIP Member
        • 15,998 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 03:12 PM

i wish i had a good solution...we can't get ours clean b/c we have tumbled marble tile, and you can't use bleach on that...

#5 Michelle

• Banned
          • 302 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 03:14 PM

I agree with the Lysol Mildew Remover too! i used it in my apartment when i moved in and the grout was pretty gross but it got it really white again! :)

#6 Anna83

• 288 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:08 PM

I once cleaned the grout on my bathroom floor with Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. It took a few of them because the grout ripped them apart, but it really cleaned it. Magic Erasers are my favorite cleaning product, they clean everything so easily.

#7 rbowman

• 107 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:34 AM

Have you used any Norwex products?  They are all natural and work really well.

#8 sunstarsmoon

• 2,233 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:56 AM

ugh I so need to do this, I should of sealed the grout when we moved in but of course I put it off, And there is alot of it, Starts at front door goes right thru to the kitchen, is in the laundry room and the powder room, going to take me many weekends to clean it.  I am thinking of making this my winter project and then you can be sure I will be coating it afterwards. I really think this is something that the builder should do as soon as the ceramic is finished.  I am so mad at myself!  I had white grout years ago and I use to clean it with a toothbrush and diluted javex!  Not sure what I am going to use this time

July 8, 2011, Couples Sans Souci Ocho Rios, Jamaica

#9 MoniqueJ

• 52 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:52 AM

The lysol mildew remover with bleach is great!  Just spray it and let it sit for a few minutes and then spray again before you scrub and it should help!

#10 june92012

• 151 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:37 AM

Lysol mildew remover is fabulous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users