Sign in to follow this  
katrina

how to clean tile grout?

does anyone know the best way to clean floor tile grout? i have light tan ceramic tile with white grout in the bathroom which has not been sealed (previous owners' dumb idea) and now all of the grout in front of the tub and sink is a dark brown and the rest of the room is white. looks awful!

i googled this and there were dozens of different ideas but before i go and wing it, has anyone used a particular product or method? i did a quick test of tub and tile cleaner and a hard bristled toothbrush, and it worked out okay, but not as great as i had hoped.

tia!! smile29.gif

We use Lysol Mildew Remover with Bleach and it really works! It's the best cleaning product I've found. It does stink, so you need to make sure your air vent/fan thing is on and try to keep as much circulation as possible.

Good luck!

i wish i had a good solution...we can't get ours clean b/c we have tumbled marble tile, and you can't use bleach on that...

I agree with the Lysol Mildew Remover too! i used it in my apartment when i moved in and the grout was pretty gross but it got it really white again! :)

I once cleaned the grout on my bathroom floor with Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. It took a few of them because the grout ripped them apart, but it really cleaned it. Magic Erasers are my favorite cleaning product, they clean everything so easily.

ugh I so need to do this, I should of sealed the grout when we moved in but of course I put it off, And there is alot of it, Starts at front door goes right thru to the kitchen, is in the laundry room and the powder room, going to take me many weekends to clean it.  I am thinking of making this my winter project and then you can be sure I will be coating it afterwards. I really think this is something that the builder should do as soon as the ceramic is finished.  I am so mad at myself!  I had white grout years ago and I use to clean it with a toothbrush and diluted javex!  Not sure what I am going to use this time

The lysol mildew remover with bleach is great!  Just spray it and let it sit for a few minutes and then spray again before you scrub and it should help!