We just returned from my daughter's wedding at Sandos Playacar and everything was fabulous!

Instead of a welcome packet, the bride and groom decided to host an excursion to Chicen Itza two days prior to the wedding. They rented three vans in advance (from an independent rental place), and when they went to pick them the night before for a early start... they had no record of the reservation. (It's Mexico). They found another place to rent from. The vans were supposed to be delivered, but instead just the guys showed up and they had to go back to the rental place to pick them up. Then they only had one van and one car ready, and we ended up having to wait hours for the other van. (It's Mexico)  So, everyone was prepared to leave at 7:30am. We actually left at 10:30am. BUT, it turned out to be a great excursion! We stopped to get lunch along the way (in Valladolid) and visited the city square... it was really nice for those who had never traveled to Mexico to a better feel for the culture... which you don't quite get inside the confines of the resort.

Now for the wedding review:

The flowers were absolutely amazing! Next to the stunning bride, and gorgeous beach, the flowers were as perfect as could be! She chose very colorful bouquets and they were spectacular and still looked great after two days! The bride and bridesmaids hated to leave them behind!

We had the female English speaking minister for the ceremony and she was perfect. Having little forewarning about what she would say or even what vows would be used... it couldn't have been more perfect and in line with what they would have chosen. It was a very meaningful ceremony!

Maria was deathly ill the day of the wedding but made sure the wedding went off without a hitch. We just felt so sorry for her because she was really, really sick! I think she must have had the flu, but she just kept saying she was fine and today was about the bride. She was out sick for the next two days, though.

We sent the dress down for steaming the day before the wedding. We were told it had to be in by 11am for a 24 hour turn around. They were a little late in picking it up (which was stressful) and we were extremely nervous when it wasn't back in the room by 11am on the day of the wedding. The dress arrived at 1pm for a 3:30pm wedding, so it was all good... but extremely stressful! So, I would recommend if at all possible to send the dress off for steaming two days prior to the wedding.

The day was gorgeous and the wedding itself was PERFECT!!!! We did the toast and first dances immediately after the ceremony in the wedding hut, followed by pictures with the group on the beach. We used the resort photographer (Frederica) and were quite pleased with the photos she took. We purchased the 90 photo print and disk package for $850, and skipped the disk of all photos for an additional $200. My niece who lived in Oaxaca, Mexico for many years brought a guest who is a professional photographer (and native Mexican) and he snapped shots of our entire stay, and along with other family members who got some excellent shots, we just didn't feel the need to get the entire disk. We got the “best of†in the 90 print package. We were disappointed that the resort prints the photos on a laser printer so the quality is not great. We do have the disk, though, and will take them to be reprinted.

We ate at the Italian buffet with 32 guests, and they had the tables in a U formation. The bride and groom had both sets of parents sit with them, and everyone else wherever they wanted. The cake was served after dinner. We used the maraca idea I had read about here, and bought one for every place setting. We gave them to Maria in advance and they were sitting on the table when we arrived. We used them instead of clinking wine glasses to get the bride and groom to kiss. It was a fun twist!

We had a private pool side reception which was quite lovely. We had asked for the steel drum band for 1 ½ hours, thinking we'd have them from 8:930, possibly longer with a break. They packed up and left at 9:12 which was a disappointment and unfortunately my husband and I had gone back to our rooms for a minute when they left, so we couldn't even confer with them. I'm not sure what happened there. I know Maria normally stays until the end of the reception but because she was so sick (really sick) she left shortly after we arrived. I wonder if the band just didn't take advantage of that. But, no matter, we had brought a play list for after the steel drum band, and just plugged that in and it was a lot of fun. The steel drum band was really nice to walk into and I would do it again, but people let loose with more dancing once we plugged in our own music. The open bar was great and they stayed open until the pool grounds closed at 10:30. A little longer than we had paid for ;). At 11:00, many of us moved to the disco and had quite a fun time! I think they were happy to see a wedding come in because it seems to attract a crowd! The disco décor is graffit, so my daughter added to it.... Kelly and Nate 12-21-10 in a heart ;). Those still going can look for it!

Overall, our guests were exceedingly pleased with the accommodations there.

If you want to eat at a restaurant you should make reservations the SECOND YOU ARRIVE THERE. I had been forewarned of this, but we didn't bother to make reservations because food just isn't that important to my husband and I, and we don't like to commit to eat at a certain time. But, some of our guests were disappointed that it was so difficult to get into a restaurant, although most everyone who wanted to got into a restaurant one or two nights, but not their top choice. We should have stressed to our guests the need to make reservations on Day 1. I think the reservations being to be accepted on Sunday for the rest of that week. They tried to make them on Thursday-Friday for the following week and couldn't. My son in law tried to set up a dinner on the beach for them on their last night, but 48 hours was not enough notice. So, that was frustrating, too! They did pull the newlywed card and got into the French Restaurant on their last night, at 9:15.

The drinks were mostly great. It really depended upon the bartender. Sometimes they were plenty strong, other times not. Nobody cared much for the wine. Many just drank beer. I didn't mind the not so strong drinks because if you are drinking throughout the day and night you don't need so much booze. And if you want the extra booze, you can always ask for it. Once we got cosmopolitans that tasted like fruit punch, so we went up and got shots of vodka, and just added to our drinks.

We had one family with 4 kids ages 10-16 and they were especially pleased with the accommodations. The kids loved the buffets, endless chocolate milk and ice cream ;). They got involved with activities like water polo, etc. We had guests who parasailed (myself included), jet skied, and snorkeled. The beach was awesome. You do need to save spots early if you want to start out with them, but we found enough chairs would free up during the day that we often had 10-12 of us sitting together on loungers.

We did have a frustration with getting a wheelchair for my 83 old father. They had only a decrepit one when we first arrived at the main lobby. They allowed us to keep it, but it was literally a piece of junk. We asked if there was a medical supply rental because we were willing to pay for a better one. It was really unusable... too small and angled such that he'd slide right out of the chair. They were not very helpful in this regard. On the last day, my niece saw some one check out a nice wheel chair from guest services at the Meeting Point!!! Apparently the main lobby people do not know wheelchairs are available via guest services at the Meeting Point???? In the end, my Dad did a lot more walking than we thought he should, but maybe it was good for him. He is diabetic and has neuropathy in his feet, and deformed feet, and gets foot sores easily. But, he managed. We used the shuttle to the Meeting Point, and he walked from there.

Our rooms were nice. We had reservations for the Junior Suites, but they offered us the Riveria or Beachfront rooms because they were better for wheelchair (which we didn't end up using). We took the Riveria room because we had heard they were nicer rooms, and we could use the shuttle to the meeting point. In retrospect, we would have opted for the beachfront rooms for one reason... location, location, location. It would have been so much easier for my elderly father to be closer to the action. Our rooms were fine for us. There was a musty smell in ours, despite them otherwise being the biggest and best. It didn't really bother us. It is the smell that often comes with humidity and we could live with it. I saw the Junior Suite rooms that much of our family stayed in and thought they were completely fine. I never saw the beachfront rooms, but guests said they were ok. The distance was generally not a factor for us except when we found ourselves having to run back and forth about six times a day on a few days, either for $$ for jet skiing/parasailing, or things pertaining to the wedding. I don't know... the location of the beachfront rooms might make them more attractive to me in a future stay, although I never saw the inside of one. Our refrigerator didn't work, but we never even complained about it because we really didn't need it. All we ever drank in the room was water and room temp is my preference for water anyway.

I really can't think of anything else. We had a few minor frustrations as mentioned, but overall it was a PERFECT wedding and vacation there. The weather was gorgeous every day for us. The beach is spectacular! The wedding was spectacular! The resort flowers were super spectacular! The resort photographer captured some great shots and we were completely satisfied, except for the laser printed copies of photos. We haven't seen the video yet as we didn't stick around long enough to get it. It will be shipped.

We didn't spend a penny more on the wedding or rooms than we anticipated... in fact a few things came in under budget. We had planned in advance for every addition we wanted, and we didn't miss a thing. No surprises!

If you have any questions, just ask! When I get organized with photos on a public link I will let you all know. My husband and I actually do want to go back there and just relax without a wedding! A few guests suggested we return to celebrate anniversaries. EVERYONE really had a good time!

We just returned from our wedding at Sandos and it couldn't have gone any more perfectly! Everyone said Maria would ease all fears the second you met her and I agreed the second we sat down with her. It was hard to not have anything set and stone until the day before the wedding but Maria took care of everything within a half hour and had us back to enjoying the beach. I feared alot of thing going into it- weather, rooms, hair, no rehearsal, etc. but I do not believe it could have gone any better.

We stayed in the beachfront rooms which I would not change for anything. They are right on the beach and close to everything! We could walk out on the 2nd floor patio and see the ocean. Welcome fruit basket & huge supply of alcohol upon arrival and fun little towel animals on your bed everyday. My family that stayed in the haciendas were okay with them but wished they had gotten the beachfront rooms. We only had one person stay in the Riviera section. He liked the room size but it was just such a distance away. Not a complaint in walking but it was hard if short on time. The shuttles and golf carts weren't reliable enough to count on them.

We did fun welcome bags (doubled as beach bag) with mugs, tylenol, shout wipes, lanyards that held towel and key cards and tip money and more that I can't remember. I think the lanyards were the most used item by everyone. Let me know if you want to see photos!

Restaurants were a must book upon arrival. We had the French first and I am not sure if more then 2 of our 18 person group liked it but I suppose it was more of a preference of foods. The Brazilian is a must if you like your meats!

As for the wedding, it went fabulous!

First, I had my hair done at the resort and I was very happy with it. I was not done with that until 3:20 so very rushed for a 4:00 ceremony. Maria came and picked me and my father up in the golfcart and took us to the site. I had stargazer lillies in my bouquet which turned out wonderfully! We could not stop smelling them and everytime we went back to the room throughout the week, the scent would spill out for everyone. The site was set up beautifully. Kind of awkward, but alot of the beach go-ers will come over and watch the ceremony and take pictures of you walking down the aisle. I recommend doing the sand ceremony. The minister has a nice speech for it and also brings a lid for you to bring it home. For no rehearsal, it went with no problems. The minister walks you through everything. There is a hut after for toasting and a dance if you chose then off for pictures. I highlyyyyyyyyyyyyyy recommend Octavio Montes for a photographer. He is very professional and a great price. The pics were ready two days after the ceremony and he dropped the prints and the cd with a nice case off to us at the hotel. We chose to do the Italian restaurant for the reception. I didn't like that is was a buffet but it was the nicest and most accomodating for a wedding party. Maria has you wait outside then announces the couple to come in and everyone stares and claps! Random clinging from people you do not know all dinner ;-)

All in all, I am so happy with how it went. I knew alot about the resort as it is where my fiance and I met 8 years ago but I still worried. They called for rain for every day and we never got any, thank goodness! The resort has undergone alot of changes so I was weary but my family absolutely loved it and believes all-inclusives are now the way to go!!!

Just wanted to give a fast but very unorganized review of Sandos. Let me know if you have any additional questions!

I also set a photobucket up if anyone wants to see the setup or Octavio's work.

photobucket.com

username: sandos2010mexico

password: sandos2010

I forgot to mention my daughter had her hair and makeup done at the resort salon and it was BEAUTIFUL/ PERFECT!  My daughter had one thing in mind, but then they showed her photos of possibilities... and she chose a different style and absolutely loved it. The make up was perfect as well, not overdone or underdone! Perfect.

Originally Posted by sashk2006 View Post

We just returned from our wedding at Sandos and it couldn't have gone any more perfectly! Everyone said Maria would ease all fears the second you met her and I agreed the second we sat down with her. It was hard to not have anything set and stone until the day before the wedding but Maria took care of everything within a half hour and had us back to enjoying the beach. I feared alot of thing going into it- weather, rooms, hair, no rehearsal, etc. but I do not believe it could have gone any better.

We stayed in the beachfront rooms which I would not change for anything. They are right on the beach and close to everything! We could walk out on the 2nd floor patio and see the ocean. Welcome fruit basket & huge supply of alcohol upon arrival and fun little towel animals on your bed everyday. My family that stayed in the haciendas were okay with them but wished they had gotten the beachfront rooms. We only had one person stay in the Riviera section. He liked the room size but it was just such a distance away. Not a complaint in walking but it was hard if short on time. The shuttles and golf carts weren't reliable enough to count on them.

We did fun welcome bags (doubled as beach bag) with mugs, tylenol, shout wipes, lanyards that held towel and key cards and tip money and more that I can't remember. I think the lanyards were the most used item by everyone. Let me know if you want to see photos!

Restaurants were a must book upon arrival. We had the French first and I am not sure if more then 2 of our 18 person group liked it but I suppose it was more of a preference of foods. The Brazilian is a must if you like your meats!

First, I had my hair done at the resort and I was very happy with it. I was not done with that until 3:20 so very rushed for a 4:00 ceremony. Maria came and picked me and my father up in the golfcart and took us to the site. I had stargazer lillies in my bouquet which turned out wonderfully! We could not stop smelling them and everytime we went back to the room throughout the week, the scent would spill out for everyone. The site was set up beautifully. Kind of awkward, but alot of the beach go-ers will come over and watch the ceremony and take pictures of you walking down the aisle. I recommend doing the sand ceremony. The minister has a nice speech for it and also brings a lid for you to bring it home. For no rehearsal, it went with no problems. The minister walks you through everything. There is a hut after for toasting and a dance if you chose then off for pictures. I highlyyyyyyyyyyyyyy recommend Octavio Montes for a photographer. He is very professional and a great price. The pics were ready two days after the ceremony and he dropped the prints and the cd with a nice case off to us at the hotel. We chose to do the Italian restaurant for the reception. I didn't like that is was a buffet but it was the nicest and most accomodating for a wedding party. Maria has you wait outside then announces the couple to come in and everyone stares and claps! Random clinging from people you do not know all dinner ;-)

All in all, I am so happy with how it went. I knew alot about the resort as it is where my fiance and I met 8 years ago but I still worried. They called for rain for every day and we never got any, thank goodness! The resort has undergone alot of changes so I was weary but my family absolutely loved it and believes all-inclusives are now the way to go!!!

Just wanted to give a fast but very unorganized review of Sandos. Let me know if you have any additional questions!

photobucket.com

OMG your pics were amazing!!!

Your hair looked awesome!  Did you know what you wanted or did they just do it?

Also, did you guys have a reception after-wards?  We aren't but I'm wondering what we should do instead?

What wedding package did you do?  Did they include the ribbons and stuff on the chairs?  We are doing the Symbolic Cermony,.

Sorry for all the question, 101 more days till I'm there!

kristamarie,

thank you!

hair--- I was actually a little frustrated at first as I went in with a picture and it wasn't looking like it, but I was happy with the results. They are great in the salon. My hair does not usually hold curls but she made it work!

reception---- we just did dinner in the Italian restaurant. Maria really makes it feel like a reception as she announces you and lets you pick how you want the seating to be set up. Plus there is constant clinking on glasses for you to kiss. Oh and the cake! Strawberries and cream was terrific!

We also did the symbolic just to save money. Adding the sand ceremony really made it special. They have a nice signing for you also during the ceremony. The ribbons, tulle, chairs everything was includes. We also booked enough rooms that we got the $300 symbolic ceremony for free.

Questions are completely fine! This forum helped me out so much so I am more then happy to help others!

You girls really will be so happy with everything. We have been home a week today and already have family members talking about going back :-)

photobucket.com

This is too funny - I commented on your wedding on Sandos Facebook profile - they have your pictures up and I left a message for you to see if you could tell me where you got your hubbys wedding day outfit?  Too weird - I should have known you were on this site! 

LOL

Love your pics on photobucket and on Sandos FB site - everything looks fanatastic!!!

Congrats!

If anyone would like to see the photos of my daughter's wedding taken by the resort photographer send me a message and I will give you the link. She didn't want a public album out for the entire world to see, but for those really interested just let me know!

Originally Posted by Jennybell1 View Post

Quote:

photobucket.com

This is too funny - I commented on your wedding on Sandos Facebook profile - they have your pictures up and I left a message for you to see if you could tell me where you got your hubbys wedding day outfit?  Too weird - I should have known you were on this site! 

LOL

Love your pics on photobucket and on Sandos FB site - everything looks fanatastic!!!

Congrats!

photobucket.com

Did Maria put together the welcome bags for you or did you do it yourself?  I am going to have Maria do it before we get there. She said it would be $3/bag to deliver them to the rooms and then an additional charge to put them together.  I'm not sure of the charge though and if it is too much we will probably just take care of it.