AHR questions and queries...

Hi all - I've searched in this section for the answers and can't seem to come across them, but I apologize if this is a repeat post!

We are starting to think about our AHR (we won't be holding it till next July, but we realize we have NO IDEA where to start with all this). I contacted a catering company to ask some pricing questions and they had a bunch of questions for me that had me realizing I really don't know how to plan this!!! blush2.gif

Sooo ... our AHR is not going to be anything massive. We're expecting 50-80 people, we're not having an informal ceremony and I am NOT wearing my wedding dress again (despite my mother's hopes and dreams).

For those of you holding an AHR what time are you holding it? Is it just a cocktail (what we want to do) with hors d'oeurves ... if so did you do it from 2-6, noon-4 something like that? I'm so confused ...

Also should there be speeches? Acitivities? We want to have pictures from the wedding on a projector for everyone to see and we're going to have a cake as well ...

I feel so lost. sad.gif Any and all advice would be much appreciated ladies.

Thanks!!

I am like you I don't want anything formal and I don't want to wear my dress again.

We are going to have a blessing done at 2pm-ish until 5 and then tapas (Spanish hors douves), sangria and desserts. HUGE money savings this way.

We plan on having a pinata for the kids and maybe a couple other fun things for them. We want it to feel more like a family get together than a reception.

We're having our AHR at a local country club. We're doing another cake, toasts, speeches and announcements. We're not doing a bouquet toss or garter. We're doing a Sunday afternoon from 1pm to 6pm. 1 hour cocktail reception followed by a 4 hour buffet and dancing. We'll have our pictures on the laptop in the corner from our actual wedding.

Oh and we will have the special dances.

We are having ours a week after we some back. Very laid back. Food, drinks, fun and friends. We rented basically a huge pavillion at the park (big lodge with room inside and out). We expect probably over 250 people. We are having it catered. Activities for kids if people chose to bring them. We anticipate it will be a big party that will go most of the day. Always remember...do what you want. This is your time. FI and I are the only ones going to Jamaica to be married. This will be our time to celebrate with everyone back at home.

I'm with you guys on this one.....Living not far from the Chattahoochee River we found a pavillion right on the banks of it and are having a HUGE picnic with a DJ and my mom, sister, and I will be making the food (turkey, ham, potatoe salads, and stuff like that) we will be doing volley ball, baseball, swimming, and whatever else we feel like doing. It will be very casual and fun, just like we are! elefant.gif

We're having a beach themed reception a few week after we return from Jamaica. We are having it in a typical wedding reception hall, with a cocktail hour/welcome party at 5pm, dinner at 6pm, and then dancing until midnight (or later). We will decorate the room with palm trees, etc. The only thing we're unsure of right now, is if we'll hire a Reggae band... or just have the DJ play a lot of Reggae music throughout the night. We'll probably just go with the DJ though, for cost reasons.

We may do a first dance at the AHR, but no garter toss, etc.

We are only taking a small group (20-30 people, 22 confirmed so far) to Jamaica, so the reception will be nice to celebrate with the rest of our family and friends.

We are having an AHR from 7-12pm downtown on the top floor of a building. It will be beach themed and we are going to have catered food, bar, cake, and a DJ. Also, our photographer is going to play a slideshow from Mexico. I didn't have to call the caterer because venue has a contract with a company and they take care of it. Good Luck Girl!