Have you used Rosetta Stone?

stacey

I am thinking about buying Rosetta Stone to learn spanish. I need to learn spanish for work and I have been seriously been considering buying the system. But I havent heard anything about it, good or bad. Have any of you used it? What is your opinion? feedback.gif

FI used Rosetta Stone to learn Portuguese before we went on vacation to Portugal last year. He did really well. Every night for about an hour and a half he'd do it.. They teach you in an easy way of retaining it. He hasn't used it since then but Im certain if the stuck to it, he'd be able to understand a whole lot.

My husband bought the Italian version since everyone in his family speaks it except him and his siblings (for some reason that I can't understand his parents didn't make them!). But we haven't started it yet. I really want to cuz Matt can at least understand some things, but I know NADA except some curse words in Italian.

I'm really interested in it.

I tried to get the free CD they offer, to see if I would use it. I've tried several different language tapes and some don't really match my learning style, were too advanced, etc.

The operator lady only tried to sell me stuff and wouldn't send me the sample! I guess I'll have to call back. I'd really like to get them if they work.

I've used Rosetta Stone and it's absolutely what everyone raves it's about. The slides within each lesson are repetitive. They teach by using pictures and pronunciation. The drills vary from them saying a word and you having to identify the picture to typing the spelling of the words in the specific language. They'll teach you words in sets and then move onto another set and after that they'll return to the first set and so on. It really does work but just like every other language if you don't you use you lose it.

My initial impressions going into it was that I would learn basic concepts like Hi, Bye, This, That, etc. but that wasn't so. They start off by teaching you things like planes, cars, animals, and then move on further by adding colors. I didn't get too far into it but I imagine it keeps building as you go on.

I have to agree the price is steep and I never knew how much it cost until I looked it up just now. Luckily, I have access to multiple languages in RS through my employer. It's true you don't appreciate things as much when it's given to you. Had I bought it myself I'd probably finish the whole program. Now that I know, I'll probably go back and finish the languages I started. Good Luck!

Actually, I found this 2 pg breakdown of how to use Rosetta Stone. My employer provided it so it explains how to log in (you can ignore that part) but it goes over the different things that Rosetta does and how it works. I know it's not an sample version but it's a pretty good breakdown or close to a sample version.

Rosetta Stone.pdf