Financial Responsibility...who pays for what??

klktx

The date and location have been set, June 18, 2009 Dreams!! A question that has come up is since this is not a traditional wedding....what is the bride responsible for and what is the groom responsible for??

A thought....We are having a reception when we get back for friends and family that can't make it, would it be ok...proper for the brides family to pay for the wedding and the grooms for the reception....what is the proper etiquettehuh.gif Any ideas would be helpul!

Thanks-

Kristi

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there really is one for DW. My parents paod for our trip there including :mine, new hubby, daughter, brother, mom and dad. Then my mom paid for things along the way. Nothing set in stone. New Hubbies parents paid for the flowers and says they are paying for the catering for AHR.

I would just ask the parents what the would like to perticipate with.

We are paying for our own wedding. And each individual person is paying for their own trip. My mom bought my dress & that's all the help we've had.

Our AHR is going to be a VERY simple backyard BBQ - BYOB, family playing music, pot luck - just a big party really!

I agree with Kelly that there are no rules/proper etiquette for DWs. Go with the flow!!!

I agree with KellyC.. I don't think that there is proper etiquette for a DW.

That being said, traditional etiquette states that the brides family pays for the wedding (incl reception) and the groom's family pays for the rehearsal dinner.

We are paying everything ourselves since our families are paying $$ just to come to the wedding.

IMO, if you are unsure, you should sit down with FH's family and your own to discuss finances. That way everyone is clear and in agreement with who is paying for what...

Sorry if this comes up twice......we set our date for June 18, 2009 at Dreams! The question of financial responsibilities has come up since this is not a traditional wedding. Who is responsible for what?! We are having a reception when we come back for our friends and family who can't make it, would it be had etiquette for the brides family to pay for the wedding and the grooms family to pay for the reception? Any ideas or advice would be appreciated!! Thanks

Kristi

unfortunately we are completely responsible for all our wedding costs, both away and at home, LOL! i thought if i was lucky my mom might offer to buy my wedding dress, but that didn't happen either, haha.

but if you're from the traditional "bride's family pays for the wedding" mindset, i would say sit down with your your parents and ask them what they are willing to cover. normally, the reception is the part that has the big price tag, and is therefore what the bride's parents pay for, but in this case it's not the actual wedding, so i don't know. i would think they'd pay for the dreams wedding and reception there, but not the AHR.

personally, i have never heard of the groom's family being financially responsible for anything, except the rehearsal dinner.