Is FIRST CLASS Worth It?!

Mel&B

FI and I are making ourselves sick over making flight plans for our wedding. Right now tickets are $840.00 to our destination, but we can get a ticket for 42,500 miles. He has enough miles, and I will have enough miles in 3 weeks after my next flight.

Option 1: Buy miles and book ticket now. Extra miles will cost less than $200.00 and flight will cost $65.00

Option 2: Wait 3 weeks and hope the amount of miles it takes to fly doesn't go up to 50,000.

Also, we both really wanted to fly first class, but for the cost to upgrade we can take a 3 night all-inclusive honeymoon after our wedding in Puerto Vallarta. Has anyone flown first class to their wedding? Is is worth it? Our flight will only be 3.5 hours.

We've put so much energy into saving miles, checking flights, etc that it's making us crazy. It's so freaking hard to predict what ticket prices will do smile105.gif

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Mel&B,

well there are several things that you need to consider... In a "normal" time, I would tell you that having the additional expense of first class for 3.5 hours is not worth it. However, the first class will allow you to hang your dress ; have extra luggage (and if you're taking you OOT bags and everything with you... that can be a lot of money to check in extra luggage, knowing that now Continential even charges you 15$ for the first luggage you check in, 25$ for the second, and the rest is excess...) ; and have the comfort of first class on your way to and from your wedding - which kind of goes with the honeymoon, no ?

Our flight will be only 2h20 but I definitely go for the first class... wink.gif

Well... I would say that you just use a few miles to try an upgrade at the gate, and not use your miles for first class. We have travelled the world and I don't know how much you have traveled. We always make a huge overseas trip somewhere each year, and then we go to Bangkok every year as well. And I used to work for the airlines. Definitely consider extra baggage, but 3.5 hours is a VERY short flight. At least in my opinion. We take first class on 15 hour flights, but to us 3.5 hours is nothing and not worth using our miles for when we could save them for a 12 + hour flight. I guess it would depend on how much you plan on traveling. Personally I would just try to upgrade at the airport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacilynda View Post
We have travelled the world and I don't know how much you have traveled.
I make about 5 cross-country plane trips per year, so 3.5 hours is the shortest flight I ever take. I've never flown first class, so I want to for my wedding, but practicality may win out. We can take 2 bags each to Mexico. I will probably only need one extra bag for my wedding "stuff" and it will cost $150.00. Just knowing that upgrading will cost almost as much as three days at Dreams is hard to swallow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunBride View Post
I've flown first class few times and whole it's a nice bonus, I don't think it's worth the cost.

I would DEFINITELY choose the 3 extra days of vacation over flying first class. But that's just my personal preference.
I completely agree! Although it never hurts to look into it at the counter when you check in...and if it's too much there you still have your cheap, jam packed seat!! I'm definitely going to look into it!!!

Do you have any one who could take your extra bag? Then you could upgrade w/out spending extra money for first class. First class is amazing and addictive. You'll never want to move back on the plane again, but you won't get the full effect of first class on a 3.5 hour flight in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacilynda View Post
Do you have any one who could take your extra bag?
This is a great idea! We do have one friend that will be on our outgoing flight with us. I bet we could convince him to only bring one suitcase and have him take one for us.