• 21,514 posts
  • Wedding Date:July 20, 2007
  • Wedding Location:Napa, California
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 27 March 2007 - 08:45 AM

Click the image to open in full size.
Sexy Arms for Spring
By Keli Roberts, Prevention magazine

Do you feel your arms look flabbier since you turned 40? Age-related muscle loss does take a toll. But three simple strengthening moves are all you need to go sleeveless with confidence—you can see results in less than a month. Try this customizable triceps workout to build firm, shapely arms by spring—whatever your fitness level.

Workout at a Glance

What you need

3- to 5-pound dumbbells, a 9- to 10-inch diameter ball (like a soccer ball, kickball, or medicine ball), and a sturdy chair.

How to do it

Do this routine 2 or 3 times a week on nonconsecutive days, completing 8 to 12 repetitions of each exercise. Begin with the First Try This move for each exercise. If it's too difficult, follow the Make It Easier variation. Not challenging enough? Try the Make It Harder option.

For quicker results

Do the entire workout twice through. As you get stronger and can breeze through 2 sets of 12 reps, progress to the next level or use a heavier weight.

Ball Push-Up

First try this

Start on floor in push-up position, either on knees or toes, with hands beneath shoulders and ball under left hand, fingers pointing forward. Inhale as you bend both elbows back, tucking them in to sides, and lower chest toward floor. Exhale and push back to start. Repeat. Halfway through set, switch ball to right hand. (Bonus toning: chest, shoulders, torso)

Make it easier

Skip the ball and place both hands on floor under shoulders.

Make it harder

Place both hands on ball, wrists facing and fingers spread to sides of ball (not pictured).

Chair Dip

First try this

Sit on edge of chair with feet flat and grasp chair near hips. Cross right leg over left, resting ankle on left thigh. Shift hips off chair, supporting yourself on hands and left foot. Make sure left knee is over ankle. Bend elbows back, lowering body until arms are bent about 90 degrees, keeping hips near chair. Press into palms, rising back to start position. Repeat. Halfway through set, switch legs. (Bonus toning: shoulders, abs)

Make it easier

Keep both feet on floor as you dip (not pictured).

Make it harder

Place feet on ball for an added balance challenge. Now lower, keeping knees over ankles (not pictured).

First try this

Get down on all fours with knees under hips and hands beneath shoulders, fingers pointing forward. Contract abdominals and extend right leg straight back, level with torso. Grasp a dumbbell in left hand, bending arm to 90 degrees with elbow at side. Exhale and straighten left arm, keeping upper arm still and pressing dumbbell back. Inhale and return to start. After 1 set, switch sides. (Bonus toning: core and butt)

Make it easier

Start in the same tabletop position but keep both knees on floor as you extend arm behind you. After 1 set, switch arms and repeat.

Make it harder

Stand with weight on right leg, a dumbbell in each hand. Hinge forward from hips, raising left leg behind until torso and leg are parallel to floor. Keeping head in line with spine, bend arms 90 degrees with elbows pulled in to sides. Straighten and bend arms. Halfway through set, switch legs.

Provided by Prevention
Christine + Will (married 7/20/07) + Ainsleigh (born 6/25/08) + Nolan (born 11/9/10) + Delaney (born 12/31/13) = One Very Happy Family!

#2 ~Melissa~

VIP Member

• VIP Member
  • 8,680 posts
  • Wedding Date:October 7, 2010
  • Wedding Location:Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
  • LocationUtah

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:19 PM

Now if only I could get motivated to do those.... I am never satisfied with my arms... so flabby.

#3 boscobel

• VIP Member
  • 24,213 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:45 PM

I was searching for something else and this came up. Perfect timing too!

#4 Yari

• VIP Member
    • 10,928 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:08 PM

Thanks for this. I was looking at my arms yesterday and though yucky! I need to tone these puppies up pronto, if I want to cart around Siena without being sore.

#5 northernflasher

• 499 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:49 PM

I so need this, the old bingo wings are swinging... Now if I could just find somewhere to put this choc chip chunkie cookie down I'd give it a go! LOL
        Michelle X

PLANNING THREAD:http://bestdestinati....-thread-58694/DREAMS TULUM REVIEW: MARCH 2010:http://bestdestinati....-2010-a-59147/EXCURSIONS AND SIGHTSEEING REVIEW IN RIVIERA MAYA: MARCH 2010:http://bestdestinati...com/fo...ra-...

#6 foxytv

• VIP Member
        • 7,740 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:01 PM

These are such typical exercises that I often forget about, but they are easy to do and very effective!

#7 poohshek

• 1,456 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:29 AM

I want sexy arms and a sexy back! Thanks for the information! I will try to do a few sets before going to bed.

#8 Jenamie

• 392 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:02 AM

I'm glad I found this a friend of mine told me that my arms needed toned, and lately I keep having dreams about having misshapen arms for my wedding :/

#9 Bing & Win Win

Bing & Win Win
              • 83 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by northernflasher
                I so need this, the old bingo wings are swinging... Now if I could just find somewhere to put this choc chip chunkie cookie down I'd give it a go! LOL
                "the old bingo wings are swinging".....hahahaha - I'm at work and this literally made me laugh out loud. Totally made my morning! Love it!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users