Jump to content

Photo

Dog owners: help please with wee-wee pads?


  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#11 Banana11

Banana11
  • VIP Member
  • 8,841 posts

    Posted 03 November 2008 - 04:33 PM

    I highly recommend crate training or just using a crate for the times you are at work. It will really help the dog strengthen their bladder. If you do go the crate route make sure you don't put any blankets or pillows in with them. I also fed my puppies in the crate and hid treats to make it a fun special place where only good things happen .

    #12 Hartyt509

    Hartyt509
    • Sr. Member
    • 2,262 posts

      Posted 03 November 2008 - 04:36 PM

      I never used them with meg they weren't around then lol we used plastic matting and then newspaper and moved the paper closer and closer to the door before she got the hang of it in a couple of weeks

      #13 BachataBride

      BachataBride
      • Banned
      • 9,310 posts

        Posted 03 November 2008 - 05:00 PM

        Thanks!!
        yeah...I've started off & on giving him treats in there - and he'll go no problem when I have one! I'll say "come on...go to bed" and we'll walk into the bedroom, he'll go in his crate & just sit & look at me! God...he's so cute!! I can't wait to get home & see him - all 70 lbs of him!! I guess maybe we'll start doing the treat thing all the time until he gets used to it. Although then he'll be probably go in there all the time just to get a treat! That's what he does with going out to potty!! He'll whine to go out & then has a little dribble and comes back in for a treat!! Little bugger!! lol

        #14 **~Jenn~**

        **~Jenn~**
        • Sr. Member
        • 1,236 posts

          Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:12 PM

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by BachataBride
          Thanks!!
          yeah...I've started off & on giving him treats in there - and he'll go no problem when I have one! I'll say "come on...go to bed" and we'll walk into the bedroom, he'll go in his crate & just sit & look at me! God...he's so cute!! I can't wait to get home & see him - all 70 lbs of him!! I guess maybe we'll start doing the treat thing all the time until he gets used to it. Although then he'll be probably go in there all the time just to get a treat! That's what he does with going out to potty!! He'll whine to go out & then has a little dribble and comes back in for a treat!! Little bugger!! lol
          I do that too..whenever we put him n there...He sits and waits for his treat that he knows is coming. He's been in his crate since he was 8 weeks....I used to feel bad...and sometimes I still do...especially when I work late..But he goes to Doggy Daycare 2 days a week to play with his doggies friends and get out all that energy!!
          The crate is a lifesaver though. When he is in there I never had to worry about anything....When I was younger and we got a puppy, my dad would just block them in the kitchen and they would scratch and eat at the walls and you never knew what you were going to find when you got home...IN the Crate....he is safe and so is the house!! :-)
          Married @ Dreams Cancun 06/24/09
          My Wedding Reviewhttp://bestdestinati....24-09-a-45066/Pics By Juan Navarrohttp://www.facebook.....9&l=32db696cd3

          #15 BachataBride

          BachataBride
          • Banned
          • 9,310 posts

            Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:00 AM

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by PhillyBride09
            The crate is a lifesaver though. When he is in there I never had to worry about anything....When I was younger and we got a puppy, my dad would just block them in the kitchen and they would scratch and eat at the walls and you never knew what you were going to find when you got home...IN the Crate....he is safe and so is the house!! :-)
            Well...this is only the case if you don't forget to latch the door properly!!
            I came home one day to find Killick greeting me at the bedroom door
            I guess I didn't lock him in his crate properly so he was in there all day without supervision...I thought "Oh no...what has he done". After taking him out to go potty I went in to assess the damage. Surprisingly there was NONE!! I couldn't believe it!! He did not go potty on the floor despite being left there all day - he chewed up my LaSenza coupon book (grr...but no biggy!) and a stuffed gorilla that I gave FI was wet, so he had been chewing on that. That was it!! But I still do not trust him to be let out on his own just yet!!
            I agree...the crate is the best thing. And I feel bad for leaving him so long sometimes too, but as you said, at least he's safe!!

            #16 becks

            becks

              VIP

            • VIP Member
            • 4,881 posts
            • Wedding Date:August 9, 2008
            • Wedding Location:Riviera Maya
            • LocationNew York

            Posted 04 November 2008 - 03:48 PM

            Thanks ladies, for all of your insights. We're still figuring out details, but I just can't wait for Sadie to be here!!

            Happily married since 2008

            Allurements by Rebecca - Destination Wedding Invitations and more


            #17 Christine

            Christine
            • VIP Member
            • 21,514 posts
            • Wedding Date:July 20, 2007
            • Wedding Location:Napa, California
            • LocationReno, NV

            Posted 05 November 2008 - 09:08 PM

            its funny you all say no on the frame, we have beagles and used a frame for both of them because of their hunting instincts they dug at the paper potty pads and the frame kept them in place which was necessary for us. We loved having the frame for the potty pads and got ours at petsmart. I also got the big box of potty pads at petsmart and would suggest everyone also crate train their puppies.
            Christine + Will (married 7/20/07) + Ainsleigh (born 6/25/08) + Nolan (born 11/9/10) + Delaney (born 12/31/13) = One Very Happy Family!

            #18 syl1115

            syl1115
            • Member
            • 789 posts

              Posted 05 November 2008 - 10:09 PM

              What do you do with an older dog, 13, that has started peeing in the house? I had no idea until I started to smell it. I have had the carpet cleaned twice and it still smells. I hate it. I have had her checked out by the vet and all is ok. If I'm home, she is at my side at all times and lets me know when she has to go out. I can't start crating her now, she won't go for it. I have started blocking her in the kitchen with a child gate but she has even caught on to that. As soon as I start putting my shoes on, she hides under the bed and I can't get her. Any ideas?
              Sylvia

              Our wedding slideshowhttp://www.facebook.....=1047086342460

              #19 Hartyt509

              Hartyt509
              • Sr. Member
              • 2,262 posts

                Posted 07 November 2008 - 04:14 PM

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by syl1115
                What do you do with an older dog, 13, that has started peeing in the house? I had no idea until I started to smell it. I have had the carpet cleaned twice and it still smells. I hate it. I have had her checked out by the vet and all is ok. If I'm home, she is at my side at all times and lets me know when she has to go out. I can't start crating her now, she won't go for it. I have started blocking her in the kitchen with a child gate but she has even caught on to that. As soon as I start putting my shoes on, she hides under the bed and I can't get her. Any ideas?
                With my wicked spaniel i get him in where i want him with treats then put my shoes on lol or i throw his toy in there he falls for it everytime lol try that




                0 user(s) are reading this topic

                0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users