Photo

Need Help? With getting OOT bag and other wedding stuff down to Mexico

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mexicanbridewithquestions

mexicanbridewithquestions
  • 149 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 04:28 PM

I really want to do OOT bags for my guests when getting married in Mexico. I am having about 70-90 guests at the wedding. Since some of them will be singles, when ordering stuff, I got 70 bags for my guests. I found them at Old Navy and when they arrived yesterday, I am dumbfounded by how much space 70 bags take up!

Click the image to open in full size.

I tried fitting them in suitcases, and realized if i take all 70 bags then it will take up 4 suitcases! That's not going to work, since I also need to get other stuff down to Mexico like my clothes, etc.

Does anyone have suggestions for getting large amounts of stuff down to Mexico for their wedding? I am going to ask some of our guests to take extra suitcases, but I don't want to ask too many.

Shipping rules look complicated. But has anyone shipped anything to Mexico successfully and can you tell me how?? Or does anyone have other suggestions about getting it down there?

Thanks

#2 heather007

heather007
    • 620 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 04:33 PM

Oh dear, that's a major concern for a lot of the brides here.

We have asked our guests to save room in their suitcases, and surprizingly, a lot of them were more than happy to do that, because it felt like they were contributing to the wedding.

Plus, if you also have guests that are only going for one week, they may only need one suitcase, leaving you an additional suitcase to fill up.

I know too that other brides have shipped their items down prior to the wedding.

Good luck!!!!

~~

#3 Kelly C

Kelly C
      • 2,051 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 04:54 PM

We had a pre wedding party at our house before we left and gave out our bags then. It was a good time and people got to meet each other before we left.
        Kerrington Danielle was born 6/23/09 12:31 pm 7lbs 14oz.

http://i295.photobuc....e/IMG_9487.jpg

#4 Helen_S81

Helen_S81
        • 985 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 04:58 PM

I'd suggest distributing as many as possible before going to Mexico.

#5 Leia78

Leia78
          • VIP Member
          • 2,459 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 05:08 PM

I just got married in Cabo and had a lot of stuff to bring down with me. We had 87 guests attend our wedding! I had a total of 7 boxes (62 linear inches in size; ~ 50 lbs. each) and 2 luggages. I had 2 bridesmaids carry 2 boxes for us and we checked in the rest. They don't recomend shipping stuff to Mexico, so we had to pack everything. Just be sure you weigh all your check-ins...they're strict w/ the weight restrictions! Oh and bring reciepts...the immigration people wanted to see ours since we had so much stuff. I think we looked "suspicious".

#6 heather007

heather007
            • 620 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 05:18 PM

They wanted to see your reciepts? Crazy, didn't even think about that.

~~

#7 Leia78

Leia78
              • VIP Member
              • 2,459 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 05:48 PM

yeah, I wasn't expecting them to ask me for them. They looked sooooo fake!

#8 heather007

heather007
                • 620 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:55 PM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Leia78
                  yeah, I wasn't expecting them to ask me for them. They looked sooooo fake!
                  What looked so fake?

~~

#9 mexicanbridewithquestions

mexicanbridewithquestions
                  • 149 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 12:00 PM

Thanks so much for your help guys! I have decided to return these bags, because they are pretty large (I am going to have a fun Sunday at Old Navy returning 70 bags - oh the things we do for our "perfect" wedding) and get a smaller tote that will take less space up.

But wanted to thank all of you for your help. Leia I am going to do the box thing and ask some guests to get stuff down to Mexico in disposable boxes. What a great idea to use boxes, I hadn't even thought of that and was only thinking of using suitcases. Which in no way is as good as boxes!

Thanks again!!!

#10 Leia78

Leia78
                    • VIP Member
                    • 2,459 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 12:17 PM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by heather007
                      What looked so fake?

~~
                      my receipts

0 user(s) are reading this topic