Photo

Rhodium-dipped white gold

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 FutureMrsLewis

FutureMrsLewis
  • 583 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:30 PM

I searched to see if this has been mentioned in a previous topic, but no luck, so I'm going to create one of my own :) As some of you may remember, I had quite a fuss with my pink topaz e-ring a while ago when I thought it had faded, only to find out that it needed to be re-plated with rhodium to make it all sparkly again (and it looked fabulous when I got it back, I must say ) Anyway, it's been a few months, and it's starting to look dull again. I have a lifetime warranty on the ring with the jewellery store where I bought it and I can get it re-sized and re-plated whenever I see fit. I'm just wondering, how often should I get my ring re-dipped? Is there such a thing as getting it done too often? I was thinking once a year, but it hasn't even been six months and it's beginning to dull again, so maybe once every six months? I have no idea

#2 Maura

Maura

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 5,752 posts
    • Wedding Location:Westin Los Cabos

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:32 PM

i also have a white gold setting that needs to get dipped. my jeweler does it for free 3 times per year, he said any more than that is not good or even really necessary for the ring.

#3 MomentsThatMatter

MomentsThatMatter
    • Vendor
    • 2,015 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:58 PM

I understood that White Gold was polished yellow gold?!?!?
      Maybe Im missing something here.
      Lincoln & Lori @ Moments that Matter Photography
      Playa Del Carmen Wedding Photographers - Mexico - Cancun - & Mayan Riviera
      Web: http://momentsthatmatterphotography.com/
      Blog: http://momentsthatmatterphotography.com/blog/
      http://i711.photobuc....Ad-Sept09b.gif

#4 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 18,759 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 06:05 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by MomentsThatMatter
        I understood that White Gold was polished yellow gold?!?!?
        Maybe Im missing something here.
        white gold is yellow gold mixed with another metal & dipped in rhodium.

I haven't had mine dipped in about a year & it still shines. i do take it off when i shower. also chlorine is bad for it. a jeweler can also to a thinner or thicker coat. thicker lasts longer.

#5 RedDiamond

RedDiamond
        • Banned
        • 242 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 06:44 PM

Our jeweler told us once a year is good.

#6 FutureMrsLewis

FutureMrsLewis
          • 583 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 06:44 PM

Three times a year sounds about right... So every four months, which is about how long it takes for the plating to wear off the one I have now :) Awesome! I thought I was just being crazy by wanting to do it more than once a year, I didn't want to take complete advantage of the free platings (even though they are free :P)

#7 Jen_S

Jen_S
            • 3,737 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:24 PM

We were told to get it done every 6 months.
              Our Honeymoon In Ireland!!

#8 Hartyt509

Hartyt509
              • 2,262 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:51 PM

I've had my engagement ring 4 years and its never needed to be done - i got it in cancun lol

But when I put my wedding ring next to it it has faded so i'll get it done before I go but i agree it depends on how thick they do it as to how long it lasts

#9 lucy106

lucy106
                • 2,880 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:10 PM

Great topic, I jsut had mine done for the first time last week so it looks great for the wedding. Thanks for starting this thread now I have more info on it!

#10 FutureMrsLewis

FutureMrsLewis
                  • 583 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:14 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Hartyt509
                    I've had my engagement ring 4 years and its never needed to be done - i got it in cancun lol

But when I put my wedding ring next to it it has faded so i'll get it done before I go but i agree it depends on how thick they do it as to how long it lasts
                    That makes sense. If I had to do mine only once a year, it would be disgusting by the end of that year (kinda like it was when I got it re-done a few months ago, I had waited a year and a half before getting it re-done). So I think for those of you that are getting them done once a year, you must have a thicker coating than mine, because mine would NOT last that long before looking dull. So every 4-6 months, pretty much whenever it gets dull again, I'll be sending it back in :) Just wanted to make sure I wasn't being too crazy about it getting dull lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users