Dress through security?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kristina&kevin

• 119 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:26 PM

We are leaving for Cancun in 3 days and I am SO excited! This day has FINALLY come!!! I am going to try to post pics of everything I did for the wedding before I leave...if not I will have to do it when I get back.

I'm feeling good so far...I think I will feel more at peace when were actually on the plane. I spent the entire day packing and we are going with 4 suitcases (two with just wedding stuff and 2 with our personal stuff) and two hanging bags (the dress and my FI's suit). I know that we are able to put the hanging bags in the first class closet....but I'm concerned about going through security...how do you get through security with your dress? I really dont want to put it on the belt and have it go through the machine. I'm thinking they can do the hand wand... just curious what other people did. Any advice would be awesome.

#2 Jenn

• 1,557 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:55 PM

I put it through the machine. Everyone in the airport was really nice to us and were very considerate of the dress and luggage thing. I think if you lay the dress down flat, without folding, it shouldn't be a problem. I know exactly how you feel about feeling relaxed once you are on the plane. I was a mess until we got on the plane... then I just got calm and didn't care about anything anymore. Now that could've been the drinks on the plane at 9am, but I think it was leaving Philly and knowing that everything was in motion and I couldn't change anything.

Congrats and try to relax! Everything will be perfect :)

#3 kristendotcom

• 294 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:56 PM

I had to put my dress on the belt. I folded it in half and it was in the garmet bag so no problems at all. I flew on American Airlines and they let me hang my dress in the first class closet even though I flew coach.

Well good luck with everything and enjoy your wedding!!

#4 Kelly C

Kelly C
        • 2,051 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:59 PM

I put my on the belt and it was fine. THey let me put mine in the closet also. There were three other brides dresses hanging in there from Dallas to Cabo. We all made sure we had our own when we left the plane.
          Kerrington Danielle was born 6/23/09 12:31 pm 7lbs 14oz.

#5 Jen_S

• 3,737 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 02:07 PM

Wow your wedding is almost here!!! How exciting. Good topic!
            Our Honeymoon In Ireland!!

#6 liz24

• 209 posts
            • Wedding Date:November 13, 2014
            • Wedding Location:Riu Palace Riviera Maya

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:19 PM

I didn't even think about that!

#7 Nybride525

• 229 posts
            • Wedding Date:May 1, 2015
            • Wedding Location:Riviera Maya
            • LocationNew York

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:31 AM

I was wondering about this too. Does the dress and suit count as 2 separate carryons?

#8 BusyBee280

• 109 posts
            • Wedding Date:November 15, 2014
            • Wedding Location:Riviera Maya, Mexico

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:45 AM

I ended up packaging mine the same way it was sent to me- It only takes up half of one of the bags I will be bringing on the plane with me.

As far as a bigger dress goes- I think a garmet bag would be counted as one of your carry ons. I know that on most airplanes, you are allowed one carry on, and one personal item (purse, laptop bag etc.) I think if you were to link them and carry them together, they probably wouldn't count it as two (atleast I dont think- I could be wrong..) I would call someone from the airline, and ask your coordinator about it to be sure. (I would cry if anything ended up getting checked on my trip)

Perhaps you could bring a very large purse? (I'm planning on doing this too) If you look at some purses, they are big enough to qualify as luggage! (opinion)I have a large pink purse that I'll be bringing on with me (first almost all of my cloths) and a carry on black bag with my wedding stuff in it.

Hope this helps-

I was wondering about this too. Does the dress and suit count as 2 separate carryons?

#9 Nybride525

• 229 posts
            • Wedding Date:May 1, 2015
            • Wedding Location:Riviera Maya
            • LocationNew York

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:42 PM

Yea we are going for 2 weeks so I plan on at least 1 carry on containing bathing suit and wedding attire for the family (we are bringing our 2 kids so I will utilize their carry on as well lol)

#10 calgarybride2015

• 4,504 posts
            • Wedding Date:January 21, 2015
            • Wedding Location:Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya
            • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:40 AM

I am flying Air Canada and their website states that the wedding dress is in addition to your carry on.  As for the closet to hang it in, or the overhead bin -- I think we will have to wait and see what the plane is like when we board.  I am planning to hang it in the humidity and/or iron it, so I won't be disappointed if it's in an overhead bin.

I plan to bring everything my family is wearing to the wedding in our carry ons, including our swimsuits.   We have the 2 of us and my 2 kids, so alot of extra bags.   As well, my BM husband never uses a carry on so we get an extra bag there!!!    

Under the plane we get 4 suitcases so we should be ok. Makes me nervous to put anything for the wedding in checked baggage but the reality of it is, it will have too!  

Edited by calgarybride2015, 27 July 2014 - 07:41 AM.

Married on 2015/01/21 at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya with 43 guests in attendance   :)

Planning Thread - http://www.bestdesti...s-riviera-maya/

Wedding Pictures http://www.bestdesti...ra-maya/page-36

Wedding Review http://www.bestdesti...31#entry1885600

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users