If You Have Ever Had a C-Section....

Martha

Do you have any tips or advice?

I am having a C-Section on Tuesday and am a little nervous. I didn't want to have a C-Sec, but baby is too big (approx. 8 pds, 11 oz w/ two weeks left to go!!!) and my pelvic cavity is too narrow...Instead of going in to labor and laboring for hours with the possibility of nothing happening then having to have a c-section, I am opting to have a scheduled c-sec.

I wish I could deliver vaginally so that I feel like I had a part of bringing Noah in to this world and being able to experience the whole child birth, but I do not want to exhaust myself just to end up with a c-sec. I hear it's worse if you do it that way.

Anyhow...I already have a c-sec scar from a tumor removal I had on one of my ovaries (also had 1/2 of that ovary removed) and the recovery from that was not pleasant, so I am sure this will be worse....

Can anyone give me some advice, tips or tricks? Please.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baby Noah is coming fast!

My only advice is to count your blessings that you are having it scheduled and you know why. I was in labor for days and was physically exhausted, hyperventallating and was in such traumatic pain that I honestly thought I was going to die because I wasn't dialating and the epidurals had quit working long ago.

I would say let go of any inhibitions with hubby before hand because he will see it all girl and will have to help you with everything - including changing the bandage on your incision.

If you have a bi-level home try keeping everything on one floor. Make one trip down the stairs a day and take one trip up the stairs for bed. Keep a basket of the babies stuff nearby wherever you are resting so you dont' have to get up.

Pre-cook some dinners for yourselves and freeze them so you don't have to worry about cooking. Stock up on everything at home so you don't have to go to the store for a while.

Consider a housekeeper for a while or have family/friends come by and help. If they offer - take them up!!

I don't have any advice, I did vaginal. I was induced, and my daughter was 8lbs 11oz (same as you!) and 22.5 inches long.... she was big and I really didn't think it was bad at all! After being induced I was only in labor for 7.5 hours. Good luck! I personally would only do a c-sec if it was my ONLY option. In the end, you won't care how much pain or if it was vaginal, or c-sec! Congratulations!

Little Noah man needs to come out then I see... was wondering how you were holding up.

I had my Noah by c-section... and I went through a full day of labor with my water breaking when I tried to go to the bathroom... I had no movement even after all the patosin they gave me... finally it came down to the point where I could go vaginally, and my little man flipped randomly with his arm over his head... at that point an emergency c-section that was all that was available. My expierence was not a bad one though.. and I tend to be a trooper on everting the pain, but consider talking with your doctor about "cleaning you out" after they take Noah out. I had nooooooo bleeding or anything after they did it. I don't know how common it is ... but it was wonderful not having to go through all the after effects. Also, try to walk or stand as much as you can after it's done.. waiting too long for movement can be really painful. I totally agree though ... keep everything on one floor and by your normal resting spot... it's so much easier without the hassle and causing problems to the incision. Hope all our momma advice helps Martha and can't wait for little Noah to join the world!!

The good news here is baby Noah is going to arrive looking perfect no knocks and bumps for him.You will also not have to endure the very sore tail end you might of got from having to have stitches.(YOULL BE ABLE TO SIT ON YOUR BED AND EAT)not easy with lots of stitches feeling tight OUCH.Once home take all the help you can get.When guests arrive ask them to make the coffee and get the washing in etc,everyone will be glad to help im sure.Im sure the recovery will not be as painful and a long as your previous surgery not meaning to be rude your previous surgery was not a happy event baby Noah will take a lot of the discomfort away.Ive worked in the maternity dept and within 24 hours youll be up and in the shower.Try really hard to get to the shower as soon as you can ,Everyone i helped without exception felt soooooooo much better after there shower.To keep the scar dry blast with a cool hairdrier instead of trying to dry with the towel.If you plan on breast feeding keep him as close to you as you can lying in the bed beside you on on your skin dont worry if he dosent feed straight away.We watched a dvd at work with a new mum she laid the baby up her body baby just in a nappy (mum comy) this is important. mum just gently cupped her hands at babies feet no hands anywhere else.The baby started HEAD BANGING,lifting his head and dropping its head on mums chest what actually happened was over a couple of mins baby found its way to the breast.Ok the position wasnt right to save the poor mums nipple but baby made its own way there without a midwife intervening and mum and baby were bonding.The first time this worked for me was when a new mum was upset anxious etc conflicting advice had been given.Mum got comfy and this was after i questioned her because she really didnt look it but was going to start.Once comfy she relaxed and i undressed her little bundle she looked amazed and wanted to move him when he started to move down her chest with little grip and with no one pulling him or,come to think of it pulling her baby fed. Mum and dad both cried tears of joy because they were relaxed and they had been trying all day to get him to feed.Enjoy every moment.I wish i had measured my bump just before i went into the hospital i no i was huge with all three but never once measured my bump.

good luck on tuesday!! I am a labor and delivery nurse and work with c-section patients a lot... At my hospital we give our patients a spinal with a long acting morphine that should keep you comftorable after the surgery for 24 hours.. so definately check into your options on pain control.. after the surgery you will be pretty soresad.gif but make sure you get up and move when you can.. walking down the hall, sitting in the chair, if you dont move, you will be pretty miserable.. it will only get better:) my other advice is stay up on your pain medication before it gets worse. b/c its hard to play catch up!! good luck and have fun with your little man.. hope all goes well:)

I had a c-section it's not as bad as it sounds. I had my son at 6 months so it was an emergency. Don't worry it will be over b-4 you know it and you will still have a pretty stomach..When you heal don't bend when you walk try to stand up stright it may hurt a little but it's best for your health.

martha sorry i have no advice for you but i just wanted to say i'm so excited for you! i cant believe he will be here sooooo soon! yay! early congrats to you and jay!