trying to heal a scar...whats the best thing to do??

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#11 tylersgirl

• 1,681 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 01:30 PM

I agree with beachbride08. I had a surgery done and he said to avoid any sunlight or tanning bed exposure. If you are out in the sun or tanning bed use a band aid or something to cover and protect the scar

#12 SunBride

• 1,499 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 03:59 PM

I always use Jamieson Vitamin E oil. It's like 15$ for a small jar at the drugstore. It's kinda thick and sticky but I really notice a difference on small scars with just one or two applications.

The drugstore lady told me about a new similar product called "Bio-oil" she says it's even better than the Jamieson Vitamin E oil. It's 12$ at the drugstore and I've seen it at Wal-Mart too. It's always prominently displayed at wal-mart since it's a hot new product.

#13 NJ_bride

• 227 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 04:23 PM

I have used vitamin E right from the pill, just pop one with a pin and apply. As said keep it out of the sun, take vitamin E internally and Aloe right from the plant.

#14 Jen_S

• 3,737 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 05:13 PM

Mederma Mederma Mederma!!!!My FI was in a really bad accident and was left with a bad scare on his face and it has helped drastically.
          Our Honeymoon In Ireland!!

#15 roo66

• 1,001 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:08 PM

Ive been told that its not the lotions that work its the massaging you do whilst applying the lotions.I have three small scars from my shoulder surgery earlier this year.The most visiable one is the most pronounced OF COURSE and it itches so i massage it and i hope it will fade away and become less pronounced.I did get some sun on it and it deffo made it stand out more though.Glad you are continuing to make good progress.

#16 Maura

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 5,752 posts
            • Wedding Location:Westin Los Cabos

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:11 PM

shelly, i had some serious surgery on my upper back a few years ago and my surgeon recommended curad scar therapy patches every night. they come in big patches, which you can trim down to fit your scar. in your case, you may need to just cut them into strips. i used these for about the first year, and then when the scars were bothering me with a little scar tissue, i started using them again about a year ago for a few months.

also this is a bit more down the road as an option, we're talking 1-3 years down the road... i ended up needing to do this because the scars were bothering me (itchy, keyloid, purple-pink in color) there are laser dermatologists who can inject the scar with a steroid to flatten it if you get scar tissue, and then they use a laser to help lighten the pigment. i went for 3 treatments before my wedding and you cant even see the scars on my back in any of the photos, and they havent been bothering me since i did the treatments. i have one more treatment in november (yikes just a few weeks). if you want more info, ill be happy to tell you more about it.

#17 rdhbride

• 313 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:25 PM

mederma works so well , to moisturize i would aqueaphor very goos for severe dryness, its in any drug store. also aloe plant.

#18 KLC77

• 2,207 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:04 AM

Hey Shelly, I dont have much other advice than what has already been said. I just wanted to say its great to see you are doing well. I was excited to see posts from you today! Oh, and definitely keep it out of the sun.. It makes a HUGE difference.

Our Awesome Wedding Pics: http://www.delsolpho...ings/kelly&ron/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users