Photo

Long black dress in July?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 stephv710

stephv710
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:33 PM

Ok, I'm trying SO hard not to be a Momzilla here, but my stepdaughter wants long black bridesmaid dresses....in July....in Vegas. I really think they are
    1) Inappropriate for the occasion, 2) Waaaay too hot even though there is air conditioning everywhere.

How can I convince her to change her mind without causing WW3? Or should I just pick my battles? My other daughter who is a bridesmaid is already having fits, so I'm kind of in the middle here.

On the upside, this is the first real disagreement we've had on wedding stuff!

Thanks for all your input!

#2 Maura

Maura

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 5,752 posts
    • Wedding Location:Westin Los Cabos

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:44 PM

wow, does she have a death wish for her bridesmaids?

long black dresses in that kind of heat is totally inappropriate. how close are you with her? being that she's your stepdaughter you may want to have your husband approach her about it, or your other daughter. unless you're really close with her, i wouldnt get into it with her.

#3 BachataBride

BachataBride
    • Banned
    • 9,310 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:48 PM

Sorry to be so blunt...but I don't think you have a say in the matter. It is between the bride & her bridesmaids. Unless of course you are paying for them!
      But I do agree with you!! I would never chose black!!!

#4 stephv710

stephv710
      • 20 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:51 PM

Yes, we are close....I've known her since she was 3 and her mom is not in the picture. That being said, I know she is getting differing opinions from everyone (her future SIL want them long because she thinks her feet are ugly).

When I tried to explain that this would be way too hot, she just said, "well my dress is long too and I'm going to be hot". Ugh....I don't know how to handle this. I've let her make all the decisions with minimal input from me, but this one I feel very strongly about.

#5 stephv710

stephv710
        • 20 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:56 PM

Bachatabride..I agree with you...I know the ultimate decision is hers, I would just hate for there to be unhappy hot bridesmaids. I'm certainly not going to demand that she make changes; I was just hoping to "gently persuade".

#6 Maura

Maura

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 5,752 posts
          • Wedding Location:Westin Los Cabos

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:57 PM

is she planning on doing all her pics indoors?

#7 *Casey*

*Casey*
          • 5,209 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:02 PM

What about having black dresses, but just not a heavy, wintery material? Something that's light weight and flows might be a good idea. That way it could be a compromise... Maybe just suggest it and see how she reacts.

#8 ErinB

ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 9,504 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:02 PM

Does she have a particular dress in mind?

If she is set on long, I would really try and get her to go for another color.

As far as the ugly feet thing...No matter how long the dress is, you'll still see feet! And she will be wearing shoes. I'd say that is a really poor argument.

I agree that it is her choice, but I think you need to gently try to voice your concerns. She doesn't want to start off planning with angry bridesmaids.

#9 BachataBride

BachataBride
              • Banned
              • 9,310 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:03 PM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by stephv710
                Bachatabride..I agree with you...I know the ultimate decision is hers, I would just hate for there to be unhappy hot bridesmaids. I'm certainly not going to demand that she make changes; I was just hoping to "gently persuade".
                Tell the BMs to refuse to wear them!! LOL
                Or she could always go with different dress styles! some long...some short...depending on how many BMs she has. It might look odd if only one was short or long...but if they varied it might be ok. Or maybe the MOH couldd have a different style...just an option! A friend of mine did that since she had 8 BMs!! (yes 8!!) and they were all different shapes & sizes!

Good luck!!

#10 samanthag

samanthag
                • 896 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:34 PM

Hmmmmm definitely going to be way tooooo hot in Las Vegas for that!
                  Has she told her bridesmaids of this?
                  I know my bridesmaids would not think twice about letting me know the cons of wearing long, black dresses in the middle of summer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users