Tipping photographers

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ikupoo

• 171 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 04:23 PM

Is it customery to tip photographers, and if so, how much should I give them?

#2 montegobay09

• 832 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:01 PM

I worked for a photographer for 10 years and I don't think he was ever tipped. I amd also friends with two other photographers and they don't expect tips either. I don't know if that's the way it works everywhere but I don't think I'll be tipping mine.

#3 RedDiamond

• Banned
      • 242 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:36 PM

I don't think most photographers expect tips these days... but it's always really nice to get them. It use to be customary, but then companies with multiple photographers became more popular, so the custom changed to tip employees of companies and not the business owner themselves. Do what makes you comfortable though, but know it isn't expected.

#4 sharibare

• 33 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:42 PM

As a professional wedding photographer (but I'm also a bride to be!), I do not expect a tip. Every once in a while I get one, and it is appreciated but certainly not expected.

I think most of us photographers much prefer being fed a nice meal than a monetary tip.
          Insider Bride
          Tips & tales from a wedding photographer planning my own destination wedding!

#5 Jenn

• 1,557 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:44 PM

Most photographers do not expect a tip, and I think a nice referral letter is generally appropriate instead of a monetary gift. The only exception I would use would be if you were using a resort photographer who was not the owner.

I'm sure more photogs will chime in on this though. You can also use the search feature to find similar posts as I know this question has come up before...

#6 Jeremy_Gilliam

• 335 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:23 PM

You should always tip Jeremy Gilliam Photography several hundred dollars. Regardless whether you actually used Jeremy Gilliam Photography.
              Joking aside, it is nice to get one but definitely not expected or required. I have received tips between $20 and $200, with the average between $50 and $100.

#7 RedDiamond

• Banned
              • 242 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 09:41 PM

^^^ Haha, I love your answer! :-) That was my laugh for the day. Thanks!

#8 SunBride

• 1,499 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:44 PM

wow, I was surprised most answers so far have said no, when I've seen this question before the general consensus was that it was not necessary but a lot of people do it when they are super happy with the service.

For me it would depend on the price paid - if I paid a fortune for great pics and great service, I would think I paid enough. But if I felt like the product and service I got exceeded the price I paid (i.e. price paid was a good deal) then I would likely tip them 50$ (if I was super happy) or 100$ (if I was super ecstatic).

In my case, I ended up paying for my photographer to have her hair done at the resort on the wedding day (45$) even though I hadn't seen the pics yet and even though I had had some issues with the photographer already at this point (not super serious issues but enough to have me majorly annoyed prior to departure. But those issues aside she had been very nice on the trip so far). I was paying for the bridesmaids so I decided to pay for hers too as a tip.

#9 ikupoo

• 171 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:28 PM

Thanks for the input, everyone. Since I'll be paying for the photographer's airfare, I was afraid that tipping may be excessive. I'll make sure that he's fed well and maybe I'll do a nice drawing for him.
                    If I use Jeremy, I'll do what companies do and tip him stock options! Heehee!

#10 Evan Baines

Evan Baines
                    • 50 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:52 PM

Yeah, as much as it would be nice...

I've never received a tip and its def. not expected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users