Photo

Making a long Bridesmaid Dress short

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stephv710

stephv710
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 12:43 PM

Has anyone bought long bridesmaid dresses and had them cut? My daughter has chosen this dress and I'm not sure it can be cut and still look good. Thoughts anyone?

Bridesmaid Dresses and Formal Gowns: Bill Levkoff Collection

Thanks for your input!

#2 Trice

Trice
    • 295 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 02:27 PM

I think it will be fine. Try folding it under and pinning it with straight pins the length she wants it(You can do this while she has it on). Then you can get an idea of how it will look short. The pattern we are using for my bridesmaid dress is a long dress but we are making it short.

#3 shellb

shellb
      • 533 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 05:46 PM

I think it will look fine shorter as well. The sash of course will probably have to be shortened too. Like Trice has said, try pinning it to get a sense of how short to go. Inch above the knee might be cute.

Also please make sure you have a good seamstress to alter. Looks like it may be lined, which means the lining has to be adjusted as well. A good seamstress can work wonders.

#4 Erica053009

Erica053009
        • 513 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:51 PM

There are so many similar dresses out there like that you are better doing some research and buying it short already. You may loose the shape of the dress once it is shortened

#5 stephv710

stephv710
          • 20 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 01:29 AM

That's what I'm afraid of; the dress losing it's shape...I'll try to mention it to my daughter, but she's pretty set on the dress. I have to pick my battles!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users