Photo

Anyone deep frying a turkey this Thanksgiving?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Christi

Christi
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:42 PM

I'm not a big fan of turkey, but I had deep fried turkey at work a couple of years ago and it was delicious, so we are trying it at home this year. Anyone else doing this? What herbs are you going to use and do you inject the turkey with anything (read about injecting on a cancun food site)?

#2 KatyKo

KatyKo
    • 851 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:56 PM

I'm not much of a meat eater (I still love Thanksgiving because of all the sides!) but FI and his Dad always deep fry their turkey for Thanksgiving. I wish I knew what they did. All I know is they have a big pot that sits on a burner and lots of hot oil :) Good luck finding the ingredients

#3 Christi

Christi
      • 1,905 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 09:44 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Christi
        I'm not a big fan of turkey, but I had deep fried turkey at work a couple of years ago and it was delicious, so we are trying it at home this year. Anyone else doing this? What herbs are you going to use and do you inject the turkey with anything (read about injecting on a cancun food site)?
        LOL - I meant cajun food site, not cancun...I think I've read one too many posts!

#4 Morton-Woods

Morton-Woods
        • 301 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 10:20 PM

We fried a turkey every year so last year when we took over thanksgiving duties, it was our turn... we bought an injectible marinade and it comes with a rub and comes out more available in stores around thanksgiving.... it makes the turkey soooo good. If you need anymore info or help just let me know...

#5 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
          • 11,659 posts
          • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 17 October 2008 - 11:15 PM

i love fried turkey and so want to do one...alton brown had a show on them...but i also love the drippings from roasted turkey for the gravey so i may do both...we usually have a big group so if i do 2 smaller turkeys (around 12-14 lbs each) we should be good.

def. do an injection of marinade...

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
          Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
          Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
          Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
          sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
          Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#6 Tara

Tara
          • 473 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 01:41 AM

My family does a fried turkey and an oven turkey every year. The fried turkey we brine overnight two days before and rub down with a combo of our favorite seasonings one night before (gives the water from the brine time to drain out too). It's my favorite. Fi loves it so much we bought our own fryer and have smaller turkeys throughout the year. It also saves a lot of extra work on the kitchen on Thanksgiving day.

#7 MarieSam

MarieSam
            • VIP Member
            • 2,336 posts
              • LocationSouthern California

Posted 18 October 2008 - 04:35 AM

Yum, I'm sitting here at work at 1:30 a.m. and this thread has me craving fried turkey *sigh*

FI's family has an oven-baked turkey as well as a fried turkey every year ~ we've had it injected with a variety of marinades.....teriyaki, garlic, and hickory/honey nut butter (my favorite)!!!

Now I can't wait till Thanksgiving!!!

#8 Christi

Christi
              • 1,905 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 09:30 AM

I'm so excited to try it...I found some great recipes for marinades, now it's just a matter of choosing one! I found a turkey kit at crate and barrel that includes brining salt and herbs...has anyone tried it??

#9 MsShelley

MsShelley

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                • 10,366 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 10:05 AM

omg, I wish we were, I love deep fried turkey, definitely inject for flavor mmm, making me hungry!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users