How much is your wedding costing you?

the budget is really tricky since the guest list can go in so many directions for us. We're inviting 140 people and 30 have said for sure yes before we even sent out the save the dates! As long as we stay under 75 people i think we can be in our budget with $20,000 including hotel, dress, invites ect. 

I guess we are getting off incredibly lucky compared to some of you gals. Our room and tickets landed us around $2400, and the wedding package along with the photographer, cake, etc will be around $4000 (We have a fair amount of extras in the package). Our wedding bands are a little under 1000, I ended up finding a dress for 100 dollars through a Chinese bridal shop online, and we ended up needing to pay for my brother and his wife to fly out and stay... so as of right now our total is around $9500

We were hoping to keep it around 12,000 but it's more like 15,000 to 18,000 now. The canadian dollar SUCKS right now so that adds on an extra 100-200 on the deposits we already have to make. We have been trying to cut corners where we can but it gets expensive that's for sure.

We saved money in quite a few areas. 

1. We purchased our invitations at hobby lobby and then put them together ourselves.  It took one evening and was not hard at all.  I waited until they had a great sale and got 50 for $30.  I bought my stamps in bulk which saved a bit of money too.  I did not do traditional RSVP cards, but instead had people RSVP online (only about half even RSVP'd anyway!)

2. My dress - I bought my dress and veil off the rack at a sample sale.  I got my shoes at TJ Maxx.

3. We got my husband's suit at JosABank.  We waited until they were having a sale on the suit he wanted.  We got it for half price!  We got his sandals at an outlet mall, again, saving money.

4.  We didn't use a DJ or rent speakers from the resort ($150/hr!).  Instead we invested in a set of speakers for 120$.  These we can now use at our home too!

5. I didn't do OOT bags.  Instead I bought travel mugs from Sam's club in the summer and gave those to our guests.  Six mugs were $20.  My sister personalized them for me, which also saved me money.

6. We used the photographer included in our package.  We also had my sister supplement the photographers pictures by capturing pictures of getting ready and the dinner.  Though I did buy her a nice gift, it was nowhere near the cost of extending our photography coverage.  I know this is not an option for everyone, but for us it saved a lot of money.

7. Decor: the resort wanted to charge anywhere from $80-$300 per centerpiece, then extra for linens, chair sashes, etc.  I used the white linens provided in our package.  To add some color, my mom made us a beautiful table runner.  I had 3 bridesmaids and used all of our bouquets as our centerpieces.  I brought down plastic cups/vases to put them in.    I bought some seashells from Michaels, and some battery operated tealights from the dollar store.  I had the wedding coordinator place the shells and tealights into wine glasses to add to the bouquets as centerpieces.  All of this cost us nothing, but saved us tons.  The resort is beautiful on its own, it didn't need a lot of decor.  Also, when I think back to the weddings I have been to, I don't remember the centerpieces.  Instead I remember the ceremony, the food, the dress, and how much fun I had!

I hope this helps give you ideas on where you can save easily.  We did splurge on a few things, our rings for example.

You can see photos of our wedding by going to the gallery on my profile.  If you have any questions please let me know!

Thanks so much for sharing....we are doing a lot of the same things to cut costs. I totally agree with #7, I've been saying the same things!

• Like 1