How much is your wedding costing you?

Originally Posted by Jessica Correa View Post

wow an outside vendor fee of $1000 is crazy!!! is there any chance the photographer can help factor that out because that is crazy!

Unfortunately, no.  Thank GOD the photographer is worth it!

I agree, I'm totally freaked out reading this post. I'm wondering if I live in a bubble? I totally was thinking I could do the whole thing for 5 grand. I know I can get our all inclusive week (7 days) for about $2200 for both of us. Then pay $1000 for a basic wedding package. Add a dress, small items and a few extras. I'm getting married at home first (justice of the peace) I can't handle the stress of paperwork.

I'm looking at Cuba - the prices are 1/4 of other countries. I realize there is little, if any info on Cuba weddings here, ......but I'm banking on my bubble being real! Pun intended.

What I'm curious about...how on EARTH to people afford this? What do people do for jobs? I just don't get it. I don't want any debt. We don't have any family pitching in for costs. Is everyone just OK with paying this off for years and years? If I can't pay for it all upfront I won't do it.

Sigh. Feeling kinda sad now......I thought a Destination Wedding was the cheaper way to go. Perhaps I was wrong... :(

I agree, I'm totally freaked out reading this post. I'm wondering if I live in a bubble? I totally was thinking I could do the whole thing for 5 grand. I know I can get our all inclusive week (7 days) for about $2200 for both of us. Then pay $1000 for a basic wedding package. Add a dress, small items and a few extras. I'm getting married at home first (justice of the peace) I can't handle the stress of paperwork. I'm looking at Cuba - the prices are 1/4 of other countries. I realize there is little, if any info on Cuba weddings here, ......but I'm banking on my bubble being real! Pun intended. What I'm curious about...how on EARTH to people afford this? What do people do for jobs? I just don't get it. I don't want any debt. We don't have any family pitching in for costs. Is everyone just OK with paying this off for years and years? If I can't pay for it all upfront I won't do it. Sigh. Feeling kinda sad now......I thought a Destination Wedding was the cheaper way to go. Perhaps I was wrong... :(
Don't feel sad. I used to wonder how ppl were paying for their wedding too. Based on comments on various boards I've seen cases where brides/grooms were doing everything from working 3 jobs (yes...three) to having their parents pay for everything. If you're like me, you fall somewhere on the spectrum between those rare situations. Our budget is $12, 000 and we are way under. We beefed up our savings is all we've done. We did so by changing our direct deposit allocations at work. This way we never miss the money because we never had it to begin with. At the end of the day we all have to figure out what we actually can afford and plan accordingly. I started a thread on here about limiting the guest list. I wanted to know if it was "tacky". That was something we had to do to stay on track. In our reality we can only host 30 people. Hope this helps :)

Thanks Ana, yes,...that's helpful. I'm guessing only about 15-20 guests for me. I never thought of allocating a different account for savings (duh) I'll start that ASAP. And maybe I will consider a second part time job. (I'm already a parent/work full time/go to school). So I have to watch the burn out. If anything, I'm going to go on a mission to have the cheapest, most amazing wedding ever then post all about it here! Motivation? Yes!

I'm older too (37), so realism of life has really set in. Affordability is first and foremost.

When I travel now, I usually do it for $600-$700 all inclusive - including flight from Toronto. So paying these prices booking ahead is painful. I'm a super duper discount traveller, and I really stress about my guests paying so much to attend my wedding. :) Thanks again

Originally Posted by travelluvr View Post

Thanks Ana, yes,...that's helpful. I'm guessing only about 15-20 guests for me. I never thought of allocating a different account for savings (duh) I'll start that ASAP. And maybe I will consider a second part time job. (I'm already a parent/work full time/go to school). So I have to watch the burn out. If anything, I'm going to go on a mission to have the cheapest, most amazing wedding ever then post all about it here! Motivation? Yes!

I'm older too (37), so realism of life has really set in. Affordability is first and foremost.

When I travel now, I usually do it for $600-$700 all inclusive - including flight from Toronto. So paying these prices booking ahead is painful. I'm a super duper discount traveller, and I really stress about my guests paying so much to attend my wedding. :) Thanks again

One of the first things I did when I picked the resort/weekend was make sure the price with airfare was reasonable for my guests. I can pay whatever I want for my wedding that's my choice but I didn't want to put a financial strain on anyone else.

I think in general your budget has to work for you based on your income, savings, lifestyle, etc.  I initially thought mine was going to be much cheaper but I want a private reception with a DJ, Videographer, Photographer, etc and that added up quickly. We're spending around $26K for our wedding and honeymoon, but our wedding is also closer to 60 people.  Other people when they say their budget too are just talking about the wedding itself. When I think of my budget I think of EVERYTHING (my dress, the rings, his attire, our flight and stay, reception, DJ, etc).

We're paying for it ourselves and are by no means wealthy but I'm 31 and he's 36, I want the wedding I've always dreamed of and this works for us. Some people think we're crazy to spend so much while other people think it's a bargain because I have friends who's weddings topped $100K.  I've never been to a "bad" wedding no matter how much was spent, in the end it doesn't matter your budget just that you do what works for you and makes you happy. That being said I don't believe people should spend beyond their means but that's different to everyone.

Hi Travellvr, you can have a 5k wedding, as long as you forget the photography, go with the complementary package and don't have more than 20-25 guest, stay away from flowers and anything decor, just go with the free the hotel offers with the package, don't have any private events and you will be fine. 

We also thought our wedding was going to be around 5k, until we decided to have an engagement party which spiraled out of control to almost 10K (100 guest), then reality set in and we realized the wedding was not going to be 5k, right now I am looking at 13-15K (the photography alone is $3700), so yes, reality is a B.

I BTW am an Executive Assistant and I wouldn't say I make a fortune (EA's don't) but I make enough that I could save 10k in a year, is all about making sacrifices and know where to cut living cost so you can save for your big/dreamy day. 

The worst part is that some family members are accusing us of being selfish and putting the cost of our wedding on our guest shoulder, they really think we are getting a FREE wedding. Our families all have very good paying jobs and vacation few times a year so I don't know what the big deal is. confused.gif

Originally Posted by travelluvr View Post

I have seen that people count their engagement ring on the wedding cost, I wouldn't since the ring came before planning the wedding, it came from my FH saving his sweet money, and I don't even know the cost of it, I know my fiance mentioned that if we were to include the cost our budget would be out of control right now. 

We are not having an AHR since we already had a very big engagement party and invited every family member and friend, we also invited the same people to the wedding soo whomever cant make the wedding, we already celebrated with. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by hclibby1982 View Post

One of the first things I did when I picked the resort/weekend was make sure the price with airfare was reasonable for my guests. I can pay whatever I want for my wedding that's my choice but I didn't want to put a financial strain on anyone else.

I think in general your budget has to work for you based on your income, savings, lifestyle, etc.  I initially thought mine was going to be much cheaper but I want a private reception with a DJ, Videographer, Photographer, etc and that added up quickly. We're spending around $26K for our wedding and honeymoon, but our wedding is also closer to 60 people.  Other people when they say their budget too are just talking about the wedding itself. When I think of my budget I think of EVERYTHING (my dress, the rings, his attire, our flight and stay, reception, DJ, etc).

We're paying for it ourselves and are by no means wealthy but I'm 31 and he's 36, I want the wedding I've always dreamed of and this works for us. Some people think we're crazy to spend so much while other people think it's a bargain because I have friends who's weddings topped $100K.  I've never been to a "bad" wedding no matter how much was spent, in the end it doesn't matter your budget just that you do what works for you and makes you happy. That being said I don't believe people should spend beyond their means but that's different to everyone.