How much is your wedding costing you?

When my FI first suggested a destination wedding, I said sure, thinking it would save us money.

Although we're spending a lot less than we would if we got married at home in Boston, it's definitely not cheap! We didn't set a specific budget, just trying to keep things reasonable and it's looking like we'll be around $16K-$18K before the Honeymoon, which is another $5K. More than I had originally thought but we're spending 5 days in MX then doing a 12 day cruise so I know it'll all be worth it!

I do wish other people understood that the wedding isn't free for us though, because I get the feeling some people (primarily my FI family) think they're subsidizing our wedding and they're not. We've paid for a few people's rooms to help them out and make sure they're there but other than my Mom paying for some of my dress no one but has paid for anything!!!

When my FI first suggested a destination wedding, I said sure, thinking it would save us money. Although we're spending a lot less than we would if we got married at home in Boston, it's definitely not cheap! We didn't set a specific budget, just trying to keep things reasonable and it's looking like we'll be around $16K-$18K before the Honeymoon, which is another $5K. More than I had originally thought but we're spending 5 days in MX then doing a 12 day cruise so I know it'll all be worth it! I do wish other people understood that the wedding isn't free for us though, because I get the feeling some people (primarily my FI family) think they're subsidizing our wedding and they're not. We've paid for a few people's rooms to help them out and make sure they're there but other than my Mom paying for some of my dress no one but has paid for anything!!!
So true! People think you only pay for your room and that the wedding itself is free because it's an all inclusive. I'm like if that's the case everyone would do a DW. One of my guests flipped out bc we told Her we would not pay her day pass. He invited ER brother and mother- who I did not invite and they are over the guests included. I have to pay $200 for them as is and then she expects me to pay their wedding passes. We specifically told people we would not pay fr wedding passes. It's unfair that they get to save by staying somewhere cheaper and then we end up having to shell out so they can save. She told me she wasn't coming so Im ok with that because it saves me $200. Lol My mom paid for my dress but my fiancé and u ate paying for everything else- including our at home reception. I paid for my nieces flower girl dress, my nephews tux, my sisters room. Were already $20,000 in if I add up everything.

Originally Posted by Melissa14 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shara1984 View Post

I am recently engaged as of May 19th msnwink.gif It is my goal to only have the wedding cost 8k. I am nervous about this amount and I hope I can keep the cost down

Oh to be recently engaged again :) Fun times!!

My advice: To keep your wedding cost down keep your guest list down and look for resorts that offer a wedding package that is FREE when you book a certain number of rooms.

Good luck and happy planning!!! Enjoy every second.

Thanks...I am currently reworking my guest list.

Originally Posted by Peach View Post

Quote:

I am recently engaged as of May 19th msnwink.gif It is my goal to only have the wedding cost 8k. I am nervous about this amount and I hope I can keep the cost down

It is totally possible.

Congrats!

Thanks! I am so going to try

Originally Posted by itsjuliez View Post

Quote:

BTW- Congratulations on your recent engagement! It's so exciting! :)

Thank you!

Originally Posted by EVKnowsitall View Post

So true! People think you only pay for your room and that the wedding itself is free because it's an all inclusive. I'm like if that's the case everyone would do a DW. One of my guests flipped out bc we told

Her we would not pay her day pass. He invited ER brother and mother- who I did not invite and they are over the guests included. I have to pay $200 for them as is and then she expects me to pay their wedding passes. We specifically told people we would not pay fr wedding passes. It's unfair that they get to save by staying somewhere cheaper and then we end up having to shell out so they can save. She told me she wasn't coming so Im ok with that because it saves me $200. Lol

My mom paid for my dress but my fiancé and u ate paying for everything else- including our at home reception. I paid for my nieces flower girl dress, my nephews tux, my sisters room. Were already $20,000 in if I add up everything.

Isn't it crazy how quickly things add up!  People also don't get that with my package I get 40 people anything above and I'm paying by the plate like you do here (i.e I pay for dinner, cocktail hour,  open bar, etc). I can't just bring 100 people and pay the same price, that wouldn't make the resort any money and they aren't stupid! 

I wouldn't pay for their day pass either! They could've stayed at your resort, they just chose not to. I'm only providing information on our resort to discourage people from staying anywhere else but if they do the pass for the wedding day is on them.

• 2 weeks later...

So now that my wedding is 17 days away, I have a more accurate depiction of how much we have spent. It still isn't entirely correct but it's a pretty decent "big picture" and holy hell. LOL

$5,000- Resort Package for 24 guests- Cocktail hour, open bar, buffet dinner, minimal decor elements

$3,190- wedding extras- guests over the 24 included, centerpieces, chinese lanterns, outside vendor fees, corsages for moms, bridesmaids tiny ass crap bouquet (they charged $10 a rose!)

$1,300- Church ceremony in DR plus pre cana classes and mailing over necessary paperwork

$55- NYS marriage license and ceremony

$1000- Flights including RT airport transfers

$3,200- Bride and Grooms Room- suite

$350- Flower girl and ring bearer attire (I paid bc they are my niece and nephew)

$2,800- Photography full coverage including trash the dress session

$570- room for photographer as an outside vendor so we do not pay the $1,200 resort outside vendor fee

$1,000- full video coverage

$400- Save The Dates and Invitations

$330- brides wedding shoes and flip flops and grooms shoes ($2200 my dress- but mom bought it so sweet gift! His mom also bought his $900 Custom made suit)

$1200 DJ, LED Dance Floor

$200- 2 12 passenger vans rented to take guests to the church from the hotel

$99 E-Session photo shoot

Destination Total: $20,694

AT HOME RECEPTION

$5,700- open bar, cocktail hour, carving station, salad, pasta station only- not full sit down for 100 guests

$3,200 DJ and percussionist for AHR (This was not intentional lol this was for when we booked our DJ for a stateside wedding, they would not refund the money. Otherwise I would have used an ipod at my AHR because we have a sound system included.)

$225 invitations to AHR

$0- Photography for AHR- a gift from my Godparents. 

$250- Kissing bells and souvenir photo books for 100 guests at AHR

$1000 misc. expenses including postage and various decor items that I most likely am not even using. Ridiculous. And Bridal Party Gifts

$? Decor for AHR (just went in yesterday)

$300 Candy bar for AHR

AHR total: $10,675

Grand Total:  $31,369 msncry.gifoops.gifshots.gifsign5.gifsmile41.gifwtf.gif

FMeverlovingLIFE

I can't believe we have spent that much. I took a second job to pay for it all. No loans, no credit card purchases. I'm kind of proud, but I'm kind of pissed for spending so much. 

Our budget is for approximately 16-17,000.  BUT we have already saved in a few areas and hope that it will be much less.  This budget also includes the cost of our vacation and our honeymoon.  Overall we budgeted 10,000 for our actual "wedding" costs, and then 7,000 for the trip and honeymoon.

Resort Package     3500

Additional Flowers   210

Photographer         1000

Rings                      1500

Bride Attire             1000

Groom Attire            300

Favours                   500

Gifts                         375

Invitations                300

Other/Misc             1000

Resort for wedding week  3000

Honeymoon Week            4000

We added the "Other" category for any last minute things that pop up - for example we needed new luggage as ours was falling apart - but it was more to pad our budget if we went over in other areas.  We made our budget before doing research into the cost for certain things, and we have saved in some areas already.

So far we have come in way under budget on our Honeymoon week, invitations, and favours.  My sister is going to take some wedding photos and we will go with the resort photographer included in our package, which will save us money also.  I think we will come in under budget for sure!  I am hoping about 13,000.