How much is your wedding costing you?

OK. In my resort (MP) packages only include ceremony prices, you have to pay for every single thing during the reception, so for me choosing the complementary was a no-brainer. If I bring my chair sashes and table runners which would be no more than 10 per table, plus I add a center piece for lets say  $100, this is $110 compared to the $300 my resort charges per table. 

For my ceremony I went with a catholic and pay the catholic priest fee $350 and I get my bouquet, groom's boutonniere, decoration for the chapel, etc. as part of the complementary package. I would also get some flowers for the church and use the horse carriage, and might or might not hire the solo harpist, all this would be no more than $1000, so that sure is best than the catholic package for $1675.  

If I add the priest fee 350 + $1000 for horse, harpist and decoration = 1350. I am saving $325 - If I have 5-6 tables at $300 each that is $1,800 based on 6 tables, compare to $660 if I do my own,

My total savings so far are $1475. 

OK. In my resort (MP) packages only include ceremony prices, you have to pay for every single thing during the reception, so for me choosing the complementary was a no-brainer. If I bring my chair sashes and table runners which would be no more than 10 per table, plus I add a center piece for lets say  $100, this is $110 compared to the $300 my resort charges per table. 

For my ceremony I went with a catholic and pay the catholic priest fee $350 and I get my bouquet, groom's boutonniere, decoration for the chapel, etc. as part of the complementary package. I would also get some flowers for the church and use the horse carriage, and might or might not hire the solo harpist, all this would be no more than $1000, so that sure is best than the catholic package for $1675.  

If I add the priest fee 350 + $1000 for horse, harpist and decoration = 1350. I am saving $325 - If I have 5-6 tables at $300 each that is $1,800 based on 6 tables, compare to $660 if I do my own,

My total savings so far are $1475. 

Originally Posted by Sehausle View Post

Be wary of this option though because when we added up all the individual necessities they cost more than the package! Whoever they hired to build the packages knew what he/she was doing because at our resort were not allowed to trade or swap things out at all. I would recommend doing the math before just taking the free package.

OMG, where did you get married?

Originally Posted by mrspfafftobe View Post

Here is a breakout of our budget. We also took a honeymoon in Punta Cana which we paid for with a honeymoon registry and cash gifts from the wedding (about $5,000 total).  This includes absolutely EVERYTHING we bought or paid for from day 1 - we literally saved every receipt and it's all included here. For reference, we had about 60 people and the wedding was not at an all inclusive resort. 

All in all, it was money well spent. We had a lovely wedding, much nicer than the money would have got us in Boston where we live. My one budget "regret" is the photographer, which is funny because in the beginning it was the ONE thing I wouldn't budge on and decided to splurge on. We hired the "best of the best" and our pictures were very good, but I think we could have gotten almost as good for a fraction of the cost. There are a LOT of good photographers in the Rivera Maya, so do your research and don't necessarily get sucked in by the big names. 

We originally wanted to have an AHR but we just couldn't afford it after how much our DW ended up costing. Almost everyone we really wanted to celebrate with was able to make the trip, so we didn't really see the need to have another party. Plus, I just don't think I could have taken on planning another reception. One was already too much. Maybe it's just me but I thought wedding planning was SO stressful! 

Paper goods (Invitations, Calligraphy, etc.) 2,478.44
Dress/Attire/Wedding Bands 6,332.33
Ceremony/Reception (Food and Decor) 22,580.32
Photos/Video 6,200.00
Flowers 3,068.00
Gifts (Welcome Bags, Wedding Party and Family) 3,166.79
Travel (Including Site Visit) 7,616.93
Other 1,079.19
Total 52,522.00

Here is a breakout of our budget. We also took a honeymoon in Punta Cana which we paid for with a honeymoon registry and cash gifts from the wedding (about $5,000 total).  This includes absolutely EVERYTHING we bought or paid for from day 1 - we literally saved every receipt and it's all included here. For reference, we had about 60 people and the wedding was not at an all inclusive resort.  All in all, it was money well spent. We had a lovely wedding, much nicer than the money would have got us in Boston where we live. My one budget "regret" is the photographer, which is funny because in the beginning it was the ONE thing I wouldn't budge on and decided to splurge on. We hired the "best of the best" and our pictures were very good, but I think we could have gotten almost as good for a fraction of the cost. There are a LOT of good photographers in the Rivera Maya, so do your research and don't necessarily get sucked in by the big names.  We originally wanted to have an AHR but we just couldn't afford it after how much our DW ended up costing. Almost everyone we really wanted to celebrate with was able to make the trip, so we didn't really see the need to have another party. Plus, I just don't think I could have taken on planning another reception. One was already too much. Maybe it's just me but I thought wedding planning was SO stressful! 
Paper goods (Invitations, Calligraphy, etc.) 2,478.44
Dress/Attire/Wedding Bands 6,332.33
Ceremony/Reception (Food and Decor) 22,580.32
Photos/Video 6,200.00
Flowers 3,068.00
Gifts (Welcome Bags, Wedding Party and Family) 3,166.79
Travel (Including Site Visit) 7,616.93
Other 1,079.19
Total 52,522.00
Whoa! My FI saw the final cost when I opened the thread and flipped out. He ran to the computer to look at our budget!

Originally Posted by AnaSteele58 View Post

Whoa! My FI saw the final cost when I opened the thread and flipped out. He ran to the computer to look at our budget!

LOL Yea it blew my budget to smithereens but I can understand why it was this number. Keep in my her resort La Reve is not an all inclusive and is a slightly higher property than others- although it is absolutely gorgeous. Also- she had 60 guests. That's pretty uncommon. Although DW's range in size, I rarely hear people with that number of actual attendees. People anticipate that many or invite that many and end up with less. I'm always amazed when people have such large destination weddings. At our resort there was a couple with over 100 guests. It was kind of intimidating lol they overan my small crew at the bar and they were all dressed in white- at least they were very nice lol but more people means more money.

Originally Posted by AnaSteele58 View Post

Yes, a wedding at NJ is not going to cost that, even with 60 guests! Le Reve is a gorgeous property, but as Ev mentioned, it's not all-inclusive and it's not cheap! :) (Tell FI to stop hyperventilating!)

Yes, a wedding at NJ is not going to cost that, even with 60 guests! Le Reve is a gorgeous property, but as Ev mentioned, it's not all-inclusive and it's not cheap! :) (Tell FI to stop hyperventilating!)
Yeah that place is gorgeous! He calmed down after we went over the budget...even worst case scenarios. He had no idea how expensive wedding related items are. It definitely opened his eyes and I think he will be a hands on groom from here on out!

I guess for me 50K could be spent on a house, or a new car, finishing my masters student loan payments, prepping for a family...but by all means if you have the cash and you dreamed of a big wedding then go for it! We had friends who spent well over this at home, and yes it was a gorgeous wedding but flatly for us it wouldn't be the smartest use of our money.

We decided to buy a new SLR camera this weekend. I think I mentioned before we have two friends who went to school for photography coming...so we decided to (gulp) forgo getting a professional photographer (which I have agonized over) and supplement the resort photographer with photos from my two friends. They'll be able to use our camera and not feel that they need to lug their expensive equipment (though they may choose to do so if they would like). I figure it's something we will have forever and hopefully it will make me feel a bit less nervous about relying completely on the resort photographer. We also had beautiful engagement photos done prior, so we will ultimately end up with lots of pictures.

Originally Posted by EVKnowsitall View Post

LOL Yea it blew my budget to smithereens but I can understand why it was this number. Keep in my her resort La Reve is not an all inclusive and is a slightly higher property than others- although it is absolutely gorgeous. Also- she had 60 guests. That's pretty uncommon. Although DW's range in size, I rarely hear people with that number of actual attendees. People anticipate that many or invite that many and end up with less. I'm always amazed when people have such large destination weddings. At our resort there was a couple with over 100 guests. It was kind of intimidating lol they overan my small crew at the bar and they were all dressed in white- at least they were very nice lol but more people means more money.

I hear you. We were a group of 14 people; at our resort, there was another group out of Canada there that was 60 people! I totally was intimidated at first, but it was fine. I could not imagine spending for that many people though!

The only negative for us, being at a resort with a big group at the same time, was that people - staff and other guests - would ask if we were the wedding group from Canada, and we had to say, Yes, but not that group... we heard a lot of negative things about that group's treatment of the staff, grounds, etc., and it was unfortunate that we were still lumped in with them. 

But I digress... the smaller your group, the cheaper it is!