How much is your wedding costing you?

Originally Posted by JSLM View Post

When I started the whole wedding process I for sure thought I could keep my wedding simple and costs low. With originally thinking 30 people would come, we're now at about 50 (hoping that does not go up). On top of that after seeing more and more ideas, themes etc... decided that we didn't want to skimp out on certain things. Plus getting married in Bahamas can be very pricey. My original budget was 15K max but I think with rings, our own trip etc we're hoping to keep it under 25K. I get anxious just thinking about the number.

That's crazy. We were planning on 30 people too but when we sat down to actually list everyone it turned out to be about 50 (we're secretly hoping some of them will say no hahah, how mean). I'm sure my budget of 15K will get blown out of the water as soon as we start the actual planning. So far I'm trying to over estimate how much everything would cost, just so we can have some wiggle room. On the plus side, I'm one of those frugal brides and I refuse to pay more than I have to for anything, especially if it's not a central part of the wedding. I'll either find it somewhere else on sale or try to make something similar myself. 

Originally Posted by Jessica Correa View Post

thats not bad. 15k is including your 2 week stay and all?

Yes. Like I said, DIYing like crazy!

Here is the actual breakdown of the original budget:

Attire for bride and groom (including alterations): $550 (we are way under so far; to be fair, my bridal gown was a gift from my parents so is not included in this total.

Gifts (including bridal party, parents, each other, OOT items): $1000 (again, under this budget here)

Music: $200 (we bought a new iPod that we included in this, though really it is not a wedding expense. For the AHR my brother's band is going to play; my dad is paying for their time, but we are getting a way reduced rate. Also, we are under this budget too.)

Decorations: $125 (right now we are under here too, but not sure if that will stay)

Flowers: 220 (WAY under; it will go up for AHR but not way too much)

AHR hall & caterer & drinks: $2000 (going to be over here I bet)

Photography: budgeted $1200; over. (total: $1730, but that includes videography and their hotel stay, and we get all rights)

Stationary/Printing: $350 (under!)

All travel expenses (incl. flights, hotel, etc.): $4000 (and we will definitely be over; our trip alone came out to more than that)

Other (stagette parties, officiant fee, etc.): $4825 (we better not spend that much here; FI was originally going to go to Vegas for his stag - that got cancelled and I opted for a cheaper stagette than originally planned) - this budget item does include a couple hotel stays (Calgary before departure, stopover in Toronto)

Actually, this is making me feel better! I think (knock on wood) we may actually end up under budget! I wish I could get it down to 10K, but that may be unrealistic.

DIY is a wonderful thing, ladies! (Plus we have a small group travelling with us)

Wow! I'm kinda scared to think about how much over budget we are. Our initial budget was $10K then we increased it to $11K . . . we are still over!

• Hotel @ Moon palace for 5 nights: $1346 + flights for 2: $1000 = $2346
  • DJ: $700 for 4 hrs ($600+$96)
  • Reception: $900 (for 18 ppl)
  • Reception deco: $920
  • Cocktail hr: $0
  • Horse/carriage: $275 (two ways)
  • Cake: $300 (wedding + grooms cake)
  • Hotel for 2 couples for 2 nights: $1390
  • Hotel for 2 adults, 1 kid : $787
  • Hotel for inlaws: $1404
  • Hotel for photog: $718
  • Flight for photog: $450
  • Video: $450 ($350+$99 day pass)
  • Florist: $215
  • Airport Transfer: $65
  • Dress: $200
  • Wedding rings: $1500
  • Invitations: $20
  • Cake topper: $90
  • Guestbook/pen, flutes, and cake set: $50
  • Misc. decoration: $100
  • Welcome bags: $300
  • Favors: $30

Groom's attire, engagement ring and dress alterations not included. 

Originally Posted by Barash View Post

I believe a 6K budget is quite realistic, and DIYs are saving so much! I did the invitations, my bouquet and his boutonniere, my bridal flip flops, birdcage veil. Will be doing myself the thank you cards, the favors and wedding programs. What I also like about DIY projects is that you can get exactly what you want.

I just found out how much getting legally at the resort will be...and all the steps that it will take...soooooooo I think we're going for the symbolic wedding now ($400 compared to $1100, doing it at the resort in Mexico). I didn't know it would be that complicated and expensive!

Originally Posted by jrack View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barash View Post

I believe a 6K budget is quite realistic, and DIYs are saving so much! I did the invitations, my bouquet and his boutonniere, my bridal flip flops, birdcage veil. Will be doing myself the thank you cards, the favors and wedding programs. What I also like about DIY projects is that you can get exactly what you want.

I just found out how much getting legally at the resort will be...and all the steps that it will take...soooooooo I think we're going for the symbolic wedding now ($400 compared to $1100, doing it at the resort in Mexico). I didn't know it would be that complicated and expensive!

wow that's a big difference!  get married legally back home, it's less of a head ache from what I've heard anyway.

Originally Posted by jrack View Post

Yup, that was a big factor in our decision to do the same.

Question for everyone:

Is it better to hold on to money in a savings account (with the risk of spending it lol) and pay vendors when the balance is due OR send payments in chunks??

So frustrating with planning our wedding and having to work everything within our budget. Our Budget was $10k for 1 week but after configuring out how much wedding package/resort/etc we up it to $15k. However we don't think this is enough. Here's a rough estimate breakdown: $7k AI for 6 adults for 1 week - Myself, FI, My mom, His mom, his dad, and step mom ( there goes half of our $,,, sighs. ) $5k for wedding reception/decor/ceremony (estimating 30-40 guests) $3k Miscellaneous things - Welcome bags, welcome cocktail, invites, std, tip, etc. This doesn't include our honeymoon or rings. We are not having a photographer or videographer. We are having the BIL use our DSLR to take photo's. There will be no honeymoon and it will be on a separate occassion. I am doing my own makeup and hair. So there's a lot of of things I can cut costs. I have discussed with the FI that maybe we shouldn't pay for our parents but he insist that we do. We are asian so we are obligated to pay for them so there's no way of getting out of the $7k. It's really a bummer cause it's eating half of our costs and the FI won't go any higher than $15k. We are still in the planning stage so will see how we can work on this budget. =)