Dreams Tulum Closure petition for information & answers

Hi All,

Here's the "shady explanation" direct from DT that you all have probably received. We're posting this for those that haven't got theirs yet... angel2.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Monday, October 20, 2008 9:37 AM

To: ----------

Subject: RE: Wedding at Dreams Tulum on April 20th

Receive our best regards from Dreams Tulum.

We want to inform that we are passing through a difficult situation where Federal authorities had an agency of the Mexico federal government alleging that the ownership of Dreams Tulum does not have certain authorizations, licenses and/or permits in order. The ownership of Dreams Tulum contends that all paperwork is indeed in order and approved by the proper authorities. The authorities have placed restrictions on the resort and we are actively pursuing a court approved stay or parole in order to remove the restrictions and provide all services to our guests while this situation is decided in court.

Since some services and facilities are not available and we are therefore not able to offer a Dreams Resort experience, the resort has had to proactively relocate new arrivals until October 31st. to our sister hotels in Cancun and Riviera Maya This was done in order to minimize potential disappointments should we not be able to provide all services and facilities at Dreams Tulum and only in the best interest of the guests. We will continue to relocate arriving guests until we are assured that all services will return to normal at Dreams Tulum.

We do not have instructions to relocate weddings for November , except for the ones arriving at the end of October .

How would be the logistic for the wedding by itself?

Based on this I would like to explain you the logistic , I already have the guests list that the couple sent us We will make sure they go to the same resort so please note that the entire GROUP WILL BE TOGETHER .

The couple doesn't have to deal and plan again the whole wedding , Landy , Lizet and Natalia, wedding planners have all requests and plan as requested , so the wedding planner from DREAMS TULUM and the wedding couple are going to have a meeting the day after arrival fist time in the morning , the meeting point would be the lobby of the new resort , they will make sure the weddings plans go smoothly and coordinate everything for them based in their initial requests, they are going to be also the wedding day and checking all details .

We are trying to keep as much as possible your wedding plans as originally planned , we hope that we would be able to open the hotel shortly but we in case we couldnâ€t , we should be prepared and planned.

We really need your help , we wonâ€t split any wedding group so for that reason we need URGENTLY get your list of guests, please fill out attached form, IF YOU do not have the flight info just fill the arrival and departure date that is enough, and overall LET US KNOW IF THERE ARE CHILDREN IN THE GROUP.

We will provide more information in this regard as soon as we have it. We wanted to keep you informed and truly regret the inconvenience.

Please send the rooming list to me and also copy our Group Sales manager Sandra Casillar at groupsales@dreamstulum.com.mx

Kind Regards

Landy Cahum Reyes

Coordinadora de Bodas

Dreams Tulum Resorts & Spa

Tel.: 011(52) 984 - 8.71.33.33, Fax: 011(52) 984 - 8.71.33.53

weddings@dreamstulum.com.mx

Dreams Resorts & Spas: Unlimited Luxury

Our representatives from iTravel2000 and Sunwing Vacations held a meeting to discuss this matter and they came back saying that DT was expanding (without proper permits) into the protected land nearby and possibly draining their sewage into the nearby mangroves. That would explain the intervention by PROFEPA, Mexico's environmental protection agency (see the following link for details: A Canuck in Cancun: Two Tulum Resorts Closed)

Whose word are we to take? The resort that waited a month before responding to our emails or the travel agency that "hunted them down" and got back to us within two days with an answer?

Though they did offer to move us to another location, we did not want to end up in the craziness of Cancun - which is a real possibility if they don't settle this soon.

In the end, we sided with our travel agent and decided to move our wedding to another resort to prevent the possibility of a "wedding smell" to remember forever.

We hope this helps... foshizzle.bmp

Tine and Rick

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandtine View Post
Hi All,

Here's the "shady explanation" direct from DT that you all have probably received. We're posting this for those that haven't got theirs yet... angel2.gif

Sent: Monday, October 20, 2008 9:37 AM
To: ----------
Subject: RE: Wedding at Dreams Tulum on April 20th

Receive our best regards from Dreams Tulum.

We want to inform that we are passing through a difficult situation where Federal authorities had an agency of the Mexico federal government alleging that the ownership of Dreams Tulum does not have certain authorizations, licenses and/or permits in order. The ownership of Dreams Tulum contends that all paperwork is indeed in order and approved by the proper authorities. The authorities have placed restrictions on the resort and we are actively pursuing a court approved stay or parole in order to remove the restrictions and provide all services to our guests while this situation is decided in court.

Since some services and facilities are not available and we are therefore not able to offer a Dreams Resort experience, the resort has had to proactively relocate new arrivals until October 31st. to our sister hotels in Cancun and Riviera Maya This was done in order to minimize potential disappointments should we not be able to provide all services and facilities at Dreams Tulum and only in the best interest of the guests. We will continue to relocate arriving guests until we are assured that all services will return to normal at Dreams Tulum.

We do not have instructions to relocate weddings for November , except for the ones arriving at the end of October .

How would be the logistic for the wedding by itself?

Based on this I would like to explain you the logistic , I already have the guests list that the couple sent us We will make sure they go to the same resort so please note that the entire GROUP WILL BE TOGETHER .

The couple doesn't have to deal and plan again the whole wedding , Landy , Lizet and Natalia, wedding planners have all requests and plan as requested , so the wedding planner from DREAMS TULUM and the wedding couple are going to have a meeting the day after arrival fist time in the morning , the meeting point would be the lobby of the new resort , they will make sure the weddings plans go smoothly and coordinate everything for them based in their initial requests, they are going to be also the wedding day and checking all details .

We are trying to keep as much as possible your wedding plans as originally planned , we hope that we would be able to open the hotel shortly but we in case we couldnâ€t , we should be prepared and planned.
We really need your help , we wonâ€t split any wedding group so for that reason we need URGENTLY get your list of guests, please fill out attached form, IF YOU do not have the flight info just fill the arrival and departure date that is enough, and overall LET US KNOW IF THERE ARE CHILDREN IN THE GROUP.
We will provide more information in this regard as soon as we have it. We wanted to keep you informed and truly regret the inconvenience.

Please send the rooming list to me and also copy our Group Sales manager Sandra Casillar at groupsales@dreamstulum.com.mx

Kind Regards

Landy Cahum Reyes
Coordinadora de Bodas
Dreams Tulum Resorts & Spa
Tel.: 011(52) 984 - 8.71.33.33, Fax: 011(52) 984 - 8.71.33.53
weddings@dreamstulum.com.mx
Dreams Resorts & Spas: Unlimited Luxury

Our representatives from iTravel2000 and Sunwing Vacations held a meeting to discuss this matter and they came back saying that DT was expanding (without proper permits) into the protected land nearby and possibly draining their sewage into the nearby mangroves. That would explain the intervention by PROFEPA, Mexico's environmental protection agency (see the following link for details: A Canuck in Cancun: Two Tulum Resorts Closed)

Whose word are we to take? The resort that waited a month before responding to our emails or the travel agency that "hunted them down" and got back to us within two days with an answer?

Though they did offer to move us to another location, we did not want to end up in the craziness of Cancun - which is a real possibility if they don't settle this soon.

In the end, we sided with our travel agent and decided to move our wedding to another resort to prevent the possibility of a "wedding smell" to remember forever.

We hope this helps... foshizzle.bmp

Tine and Rick

I love how our wedding is before yours and we haven't received ANYTHING :o) Gooooooooooo Dreams Tulum! Thanks so much Tine, I'm immediately emailing them and basically saying WTF?!? Without this forum we would be absolutely lost....thanks girls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelannmartin View Post
I love how our wedding is before yours and we haven't received ANYTHING :o) Gooooooooooo Dreams Tulum! Thanks so much Tine, I'm immediately emailing them and basically saying WTF?!? Without this forum we would be absolutely lost....thanks girls!

No problem... :o)

BTW - we've asked for our $500 deposit back for our "Ultimate" wedding and have yet to hear back from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkatz View Post
RickandTine are you changing resorts?
Yes, we're moving our wedding to Iberostar Lindo.

I know we said we didn't want to be anywhere near Cancun, but because of the inconvenience, our travel agency offered to get us a resort of equal quality (or greater) for the same price that DT was offering us - which is cool.

After checking with the Lindo, it looks like our wedding date will get pushed from April 20 to April 21, 2009 - so our flight plans won't change and the resort itself is supposed to be really good for kids (we'll have 10 under 13 years old travelling with us). It's a good thing we haven't sent out the formal invitations yet.

My wedding is on April 9th and I haven't heard a word from the DT wedding planner yet!!! Our full payment is due on November 1st and I don't know what to do. Has anyone else switched resorts this far outhuh.gif?

Ok...so I am now freaking out a bit too and am also wondering why people with weddings later than mine have received emails from DT.

I just emailed Lizet and asked her for an explanation of what's going on. As soon as I get a response I will post it. I'm not holding my breath though.

I think Lizette, Landy and many members of AMResorts team are swamped trying to coordinate moving the Oct/Nov brides. I would imagine they would give you an extension on the due date until this is resolved. I am pretty darn sure you have nothing to worry about with your wedding in April!! I would probably hold tight a few weeks before doing anything major. I'm feeling optimistic today, I guess:)

Hi Teesha,

Sounds as though we are in very similar situations. Our wedding is on March 18 and we havent heard anything from Landy or Lizette either. But strangely enough the spa sent me an email asking when I wanted my hair and makeup scheduled forhuh.gif? Our full deposit is due November 5th...and we have been on an emotional rollercoaster.

My family has been really supportive and basically reassured me that we have almost 5 months for this situation to be sorted out. I also contact TICO (TRAVEL INDUSTRY COUNCIL OF ONTARIO) and informed them of the situation incase our tour operator tries to "pull one over on us."

Stay strong hun and I'm leaning towards riding this one out. The Dreams team appears to be on top of trying to ensure that other brides have the wedding of their dreams, so I'm placing my faith in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teesha View Post
My wedding is on April 9th and I haven't heard a word from the DT wedding planner yet!!! Our full payment is due on November 1st and I don't know what to do. Has anyone else switched resorts this far outhuh.gif?

Ok...so I am now freaking out a bit too and am also wondering why people with weddings later than mine have received emails from DT.

I just emailed Lizet and asked her for an explanation of what's going on. As soon as I get a response I will post it. I'm not holding my breath though.