I made $163 on a sick day!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
  • 18,759 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 12:41 PM

I've been home sick the last 2 days. yesterday I slept for 3 1/2 hours in the middle of the day. when i woke up i felt like i had wasted the day. so i decided to do something productive.

during the last year I've been so distracted with wedding planning, that i have neglected to take care of annoying little things.

-netflix billed me for a movie that must have been lost in the mail.

-I was overcharged for my summer gym membership.

-the worst was a late fee on a tuition payment that I'm not incharge of paying. it should be covered through the grad school, so someone else was late.

-emusic charged me for a subscription i never used & tried to cancel several times. their customer service was the worst!!

so i sat down yesterday & made a bunch of phone calls. my grand total in refunded money- $163! i felt much better about sleeping the day away.

#2 KatyKo

• 851 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 12:46 PM

That is awesome! Imagine how many people probably just let these things slide and never get around to fixing them! That was a great accomplishment for a sick day :) Hope you feel better!

#3 Banana11

• VIP Member
      • 8,841 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 12:51 PM

Very productive sick day! Hope you're feeling better :)

#4 lmg970

• 316 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 12:56 PM

how cool is that.
          sometimes I wish I could just have that kind of day

#5 JennyK

• 3,502 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 01:12 PM

I wish I new how to save $163 today Sucks being home sick

#6 Amarillis

• 1,913 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 01:17 PM

That is awesome... even though you took a sick day.. you should feel pretty good about that!

#7 *Casey*

• 5,209 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 01:23 PM

Wow... that's AWESOME!!! Hope you are feeling better... Maybe I should get sick too and earn some extra $$$

#8 aimee!

• 696 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 01:40 PM

that's great! now you can reward yourself with a nice little nap. :) and maybe one for me too!
                  Wedding & TTD Slideshow (by Sascha Gluck)

#9 rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                  • 18,759 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by JennyK
                    I wish I new how to save $163 today Sucks being home sick
                    there are lots of things to try. scan all your statements & see if you got overbilled for anything. call you cable company & negotiate a better rate. i do that every 6 month-1 year. you have to wait until you are no longer in a contract. for example, i signed up for a 1 year promotion. after that year was up, i waited a month & then called the retention department to see what kind of new promos they had. it's an easy way to save $10-$40 per month.

usually i'm on top of getting back money that i didn't owe, but i've been so burnt out lately. the wedding planning really took all my energy to do extra stuff.

i still need to confirm i wasn't overcharged by tivo for subscription i bought my mom a year ago. that is going to take longer than the others. i'll need to lay out a bunch of cc statements. i kept getting overcharged & then would call for a credit. but, i didn't take the time to make sure all the credits covered the overcharged ammounts.

it's so easy to just let it slide, but who knows. i might have overpaid $40.

unfortunately the overbilling from school is going to take more work to fix. i'm still dealing with that one so i guess i tallyed up the $163 too fast.

the other thing i took care of was that dillards never sent my 20% off coupon for completing my registry. I got that taken care of & next week I'm off to get the rest of my fiestaware with giftcards.

it's unfortunate that you can't trust bills to be right all the time. i get so many errors that i wouldn't notice if i didn't spend the time every so often to look for them.

#10 rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                    • 18,759 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 01:48 PM

oh another one to do- if you have ever gotten a credit card late fee (even if you were really late) call and get it removed. they will take off the finance charges too.

i've never done this one b/c i don't carry balances, but if you call your credit card companies, you can often negotiate a lower interest rate.

I also reshuffled my money in various savings accounts/ cds to get a better return.

my sick day is coming to an end though. I'm going to have to drag myself to work eventually. i'm waiting until everyone that i could possibly infect is gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users