Photo

Canadian Brides - translating marriage license??

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#11 BachataBride

BachataBride
  • Banned
  • 9,310 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:46 PM

You can try to get things changed over without a translated MC...but don't be surprised if you get asked for a translated copy. Every place (agency, province, city) seems to be different.

#12 Amarillis

Amarillis
    • 1,913 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:21 PM

Changing my name was EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't even wait for the 'official' documentation to come in.

When we left Cuba we had an un-official license, I used said license to first change my

#1. Drivers License

WHEN the new DL came in with my new name on it, I headed to the Bank and had all my information changed there. It was one step, and I didn't need to present my marraige license, just my DL.

I then headed to the OHIP (ontario health card) office, and along with my DL, my un-offical marraige licence, and my passport (in my maiden name) I changed my OHIP card.

................then I got in a car accident, another story entirely

Shortly there after (6 months after the wedding) our official **all stamped up** marraige license came in.

This is when I changed my Passport -- which I am still waiting to receive -- I sent a copy of my new DL, my new OHIP card, my birth cert., and my old passport to Passport Canada. When I spoke with Passport Canada, they said that I did not need to send my marraige license, but I sent a copy anyway (the lady on the phone said that it wouldn't hurt).

EASY......

Really, no marraige license translation at all!

#13 BachataBride

BachataBride
      • Banned
      • 9,310 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:11 AM

Yup...if you can get past MTO to get your DL changed then there should be no need to get your MC translated. I'm a slacker and STILL have not changed my name!! Maybe I'll go this Saturday & see if I can get away with using my spanish MC!

#14 Amarillis

Amarillis
        • 1,913 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:23 AM

The MTO people did not hassle me at all! OHIP was a different story because I still had an old red and white card!

#15 Crystalballl

Crystalballl
          • 406 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:23 AM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Amarillis
            The MTO people did not hassle me at all! OHIP was a different story because I still had an old red and white card!
            Uh oh, what problems did u have? I still have the Red & White card too...

#16 BachataBride

BachataBride
            • Banned
            • 9,310 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 06:13 PM

So...I finally went & got my DL changed today!! WOOHOO!!!!

I tried to get it done without translating & I was able to!! I lucked out though - one of the workers spoke/read Spanish...otherwise I would have had to go get it translated first!! Now, I guess it's on to getting everything else done!!

#17 Crystalballl

Crystalballl
              • 406 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:46 PM

Anyone know where I can get it translated? If I run in to problems and have to?!

#18 BachataBride

BachataBride
                • Banned
                • 9,310 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:09 PM

I was going to go to the local multicultural center - if there is one in your area you could probably get it done there. I checked with an online company & they quoted me over $100!!! I've heard of people only paying like $35 or $40 - so you should shop around! :)
                  Good luck...and hopefully you won't need it translated!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users