Do we make our guest all through our travel agent??

I've never been to any destination wedding so I'm needing help. I didn't even know whether or not we were suppose to pay for everyone but I heard from everyone that I asked that I don't do that (or man everyone would come!!).

So my question is, should I have all my guest go through the same travel agent?? I think it'll be much easier for everyone and much more organized and if they have to do deposits then I think I will get a better idea on how many people are coming. Or should I just let them try to get their own deals on flights and hotels etc?? What did you do?? What do you think is the easiest and best option for my guest and us. Thanks ladies!!

First, you definitely don't have to pay for everyone to come. Second, most people usually have their guests book through their TA but you can't make them. some guests may choose to book their trip on their own. Our TA came up with group rates for our hotel and flights but not together so everyone is using our TA for the hotel but some of our guests are using their own TA to book their flights or booking their flights on their own. We just told people that they aren't obligated to use our TA (because they aren't) and if they decide to book their own accommodations to still RSVP for the wedding on our website so we will have a head count of who's coming regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Debra~ View Post
First, you definitely don't have to pay for everyone to come. Second, most people usually have their guests book through their TA but you can't make them. some guests may choose to book their trip on their own. Our TA came up with group rates for our hotel and flights but not together so everyone is using our TA for the hotel but some of our guests are using their own TA to book their flights or booking their flights on their own. We just told people that they aren't obligated to use our TA (because they aren't) and if they decide to book their own accommodations to still RSVP for the wedding on our website so we will have a head count of who's coming regardless.
Thanks Debra. You've been so helpful!! If your TA made group rates for hotel and another for the flight, how did she get the prices to show the guest if she didn't have an exact count yet?? (was that confusing??) Thanks!!

Quote:
Very confusing! LOL Are you asking how she was able to get the group rate without knowing how many guests we are having?

Haha yeah. I mean like lets say you tell her that you are inviting 150 people and expecting 100 to actually come. Not everyone is going to book through her so how will she be able to give us a group rate?? What if she thinks 75 book through her but only 25?? Will we still be able to get the group rate?? Thanks darling!!

Oh! gotcha...well we never told her how many people we were inviting. To my knowledge, I don't think you have to. However, when we did get the quote she said that at least 10 rooms would have to be booked for us to get that rate and of course we are going to have at least 10 rooms at the hotel. I believe that's how it works. That's how it worked for us anyway. Maybe some other girls had different experiences.

Quote:
Oh! gotcha...well we never told her how many people we were inviting. To my knowledge, I don't think you have to. However, when we did get the quote she said that at least 10 rooms would have to be booked for us to get that rate and of course we are going to have at least 10 rooms at the hotel. I believe that's how it works. That's how it worked for us anyway. Maybe some other girls had different experiences.
Ahhhh ha! I gotcha! Do you mind me asking how much it was per a room??

Quote:
I don't mind....the rate for 3 nights in a double is $462 and the rate for 4 nights in a double is $603. Single rooms are a lil more expensive. I don't remember them all offhand but I know a single for 3 nights is $703 and...that's all I can remember right now. lol
I went to see your wedding website and I saw the rates. How many people are coming?? I'm so debating on what to do now. It seem so fun to stay at an all inclusive hotel because everything comes included and the family and friends can do activities together at the hotel. But in Hawaii they don't have all inclusive. We were kind of planning on having us two stay in a beach house and having everyone else just get a hotel of their choice, but now I think I kind of like the idea of booking everything through a TA and all staying at the same hotel.

Originally we decided on no more than 40 people. But we are up to 60 now and hopefully (fingers crossed) we don't go over that number.

I think choosing AI or non AI is completely a personal choice. For our group, AI was the best way to go. We are a bunch of party'ers so I didn't want my guests to have to be worrying about their bank accounts while on vacation if they want to drink and eat and do certain water activities. I also like the idea of us all staying together because this will be the first time we've (his friends, my friends, his family, my family) all been able to hang out in the same spot since everyone is all over the country.