MS Access help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 boscobel

boscobel
  • VIP Member
  • 24,213 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:05 PM

I've been trying to write this forever, cuz I am stuck, but it's even hard to explain!

I have an Access db that contains raw data that I need to manipulate in certain ways and to show specific things. This particular job is for insurance. Each insurance job has charges hit and the first $xxx are the deductible. So once the job reaches the deduct amount, we move that to a different work order to submit ONLY the insurance charges that are due to be reimbursed. Each claim has many many lines.

The thing I am having trouble with is creating a query that will show me only claims that don't have %deduct% in the description line. Since there are many lines per claim, it gives me all the other lines, when in reality, I want it to look at the claim more overall instead of line by line.

I thought I fixed this problem by creating a make-table query that gives me every claim that DID have a deduct charged to it. I was then going to create a new table from the table and say give me all claims that AREN'T in this list. I think this is called an exclusionary query...

It makes so much sense in my head, but I can't get it to dang work in the system.

Anyone have any ideas? This needs to be resolved like pronto, otherwise I will have to start manually researching the claims and that's a damn bitch. Oh yeah, cuz the deduct's need to be moved before 4pm tomorrow to make it in the system on time!

#2 boscobel

boscobel
    • VIP Member
    • 24,213 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:18 PM

Ok, so of course AS SOON AS I posted this a lightbulb went off in my head. I was able to figure it out. I created an unmatched query to compare the two tables and give me the data that I needed.

Sorry to have bothered!

MODS - if anyone cares, this can be deleted, since it was unnecessary.

#3 A10CalGal

A10CalGal
      • VIP Member
      • 11,403 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 04:00 PM

Hehe...glad you figured it out! I was totally in to your problem & was going to suggest creating a query where one of the criteria is NOT = "deduct". Sounds like you've got it :)

#4 jmiranda

jmiranda
        • 697 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 04:05 PM

I was about to help you out on this one...Good luck and glad you figured out.

#5 boscobel

boscobel
          • VIP Member
          • 24,213 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 04:18 PM

Yay! Don'tcha hate when that happens though? It's like I just needed to write it all out and stew on it for a bit and then it made complete sense. The worst part is there were only 3 claims that I needed to make an entry for this month! So hours of work and 3 fricking lines. Oh well, at least I have it figured out for next month now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users