Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda Brides post here

• Please log in to reply
320 replies to this topic

#191 amc83

• 13 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 03:54 PM

Hi Ladies,

Well, we just got back on Monday night from the wedding/honeymoon and we had an amzing time! I was trying to think of a few quick tips that I can give to help you all out as you plan.

I guess I would start by saying not to stress too much about the "unkown" factors if you haven't visited the resort before. Many of the small details I was actually able to work out with Candy once I was on site. She is great, and very detailed even though the pre-wedding communication may not show that. Many of the decisions are easier to make once you are on site, such as how your space for dinner tables will be set up, what area you will have your dancing/post dinner party in. Pictures help, but sometimes it is hard to really visualize it until you see it in person. Not to worry though. Candy will be very thorough in recording all of your detailed requests.

Restaurants - As far as the restuarants go...the food is really good. Much better than I expected for an all-inclusive resort. If anyone is having their wedding fairly soon, they have 3 of the restaurants closed right now, which I'm sure Candy has informed you of, but they are rotating all of their menus in the 3 restaurants that are open (Italian, French, and Mexican), so depending on which night you have the wedding, that will determine which menu you can choose from. I wasn't able to see the other 3 restaurants that are closed right now (steakhouse, seafood, and oriental), but of the 3 that were open, I would say the Italian is definitely the nicest. Just from looking at pictures, I wasn't a fan of the Italian restaurant, but once I saw it, I was a fan. They have an alcove area off the right side when you walk in where we had the reception, and we had enough people to fill that area up so there weren't any other guests near us in our section, and even though our dinner was not considered a "private event", it felt private. We had about 50 people all together, but it looked like they could fit a few more in that section if you arranged the tables differently.

I would give a heads up though that if you have a med-large party, and by that I mean probably 40 or more, the dinner will probablu take longer than you plan. Our dinner took a little over 2 hours, and really cut into our dancing time that we had planned. We ended up having o rush through the cake cutting and eating dessert, just to have a decent amount of time for partying after.

Dancing - For the dancing, we opted to have the ipod system to save some money and also because we were a bit particular about the music we wanted, but in the end, I was VERY disappointed with the ipod system. We had it set up near the swing bar (which is very cool, by the way), and there was literally only one small speaker with a hook-up for your ipod and you couldn't make it louder that boombox level or else it would start crackling. It was fine for us because most of our crowd was more into relaxing and having drinks at the bar, but I would definitely recommend having a DJ.

**another tip on the dancing portion....If you have it near the swing bar, your guests can just go up to the swing bar to grab drinks rather than you having to pay for an open bar for that portion of the night. Although there will be other guests that are allowed to hang out around there, it really wasn't that bad. It stays open until 11:00, but we ended up offereing each of the 2 bar tenders there $50 (USD) to stay open later and they were very accomodating and were ready to stay as long as we wanted.

Spa Appointments - I had a spa day for all of the girls the day before the wedding and it was a ton of fun. They have a really nice spa there and the massages/facials were good from my experience. However, I was very disappointed with their nail/hair/make-up skills. My nails in particular turned out ok even though they smudged from her not using a top coat, but 2 of my other friends who had theirs done had their cuticles cut very badly in muliple spots...no bueno. I had a trial hair/make-up run on that day as well, which I HIGHLY recommend if you are going to use their services, and I was not at all happy with either of them. I don't want to knock them too much because they were very nice, I just think their skill level is very limited, and there is also a difference in cultural asthetics I think. Needless to say, I ended up cancelling the wedding day appointments for myself and bridal party and my friends ended up doing it for me. Like I said, I wouldn't say don't go there all together, but just be careful if you have something very specific in mind because it seemed like they have only certain styles they are used to doing and if you deviate from that, they may not be able to do it.

Well, I don't want to load this with too much info that may not be helpful at all, but these were just some of the things that stuck out in my mind. Feel free to let me know if you have specific questions and I will do my best!

Good luck with your planning ladies!

#192 adelaide

• 200 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 08:06 AM

Thank so much for the review Amanda!

The BBE is in my top two resorts so it's great to get some more feedback to help us make the decision.

Do you have any pics from the wedding to share?!!

Congrats on being a MRS!!

#193 michp

• 34 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:17 AM

i cant seem to open your attachment..
        any way you can post the list and your pics?

#194 michp

• 34 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 05:41 PM

oops... i didnt see the post about the new rules re: downloading.

#195 nkuzik

• 9 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 12:24 PM

OK Ladies - I'm back from my amazing wedding at BBGE. It was amazing and soooo stress-free and I would recommend this to anyone. I am having problems posting the pics, so please email me for pictures or advice. nkuzik@gmail.com

#196 MelanieS

• 820 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jojo

Thanks so much for the tips!

Do you remember where the two wedding parties had their reception? Was there an actual gazebo for the ceremony or was there a chupah type set up for the beach ceremony?

Thanks again!
              So sorry to take so long to reply. There was NOT a gazebo, it was the chupah type. It is located outside of Jaal-Ha next to the VIP beach. The reception we saw was on the opposite end of the beach by the Columpios Bar. They had a large stage set up for dancing.

#197 spatzle

• 36 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by pribrzl
                Hello Ladies,

After visiting about 5 resorts in RM, I finally picked BBGE and am happy about it! The resort is beautiful and considering the prices at the other resorts, this is a very good deal!
                I have been dealing with Candy and although she is very nice, as all other places, the response time is not that great. But, I have been trying to adjust to it and am hoping for the best.

Good luck with your planning!

The WC there (Candy) was great... good luck!

#198 mexicana bride

mexicana bride
                • 165 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:10 PM

Hey Jojo
                  We're getting married one day after you two at the resort!
                  Can you please email me all the pics you have of the flowers, cake, etc...
                  For some reason it won't let me see your links. jewelsk33@hotmail.com

#199 mexicana bride

mexicana bride
                  • 165 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:49 PM

Hey Ladies!!
                    We're getting married at the BBGE on November 11/09 and I'm so glad I found this.
                    Reading through some posts I've realized that I'm not the only one dealing with 'Candy frustrations', lol.

#200 mexicana bride

mexicana bride
                    • 165 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jojo
                      The spa at the resort do hair. I will attach the spa pricing but I don't know if the pricing is still current. I don't have a name of a spa person to recommend to you. Maybe the other ladies do.

As for Cozumel, I didn't look into it at all b'cos I wanted something closer to Playa.

I'm getting married one day after you, and I'm actually bring down a hairstylist/makeup artist with me. I'm in the industry, and really don't trust anyone else to do my hair and make up, lol.
                      If you want I can check if she can take care of you and your party as well.
                      Let me know

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users