Photo

FMIL wants to give me a bridal shower....

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 adias.angel

adias.angel
  • 719 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 01:06 PM

Hi All,
    My FMIL wants to give me a bridal shower. I am not much for tradition but isn't the MOH suppose to do this?

I told my MOH I didn't want one so I am not sure what to say to FMIL. She was so excited looking at bridal shower stuff I don't want to burst her bubble but I would much rather spend the weekend in my PJ's watching movies.

Should I just suck it up and let her plan the party? Thanks, Carla

#2 JaimeLynne

JaimeLynne
    • VIP Member
    • 4,791 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 01:07 PM

If it were me I'd just let her do it. Heck, you only go through all of this once! And I'd bet in the end you'd be happy and feel extra-loved

If my FMIL asked to throw one I'd have her AND my MOH throw me one each! LMAO I'm such a girl, I know...

~ Jaime & Martin ~
      "Rain or Swine! 2-0-0-9"

We had 24 people attend our wedding in Las Caletas, Mexico on May 24th, 2009!

We all stayed at The Marriott in P.V., and Honeymooned at The Royal Plantation in Ochos Rios, Jamaica!

#3 ErinB

ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 9,504 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 01:12 PM

My FMIL threw me a shower.

My in-laws live about 8 hours away, so she hosted for his side of the family. As it turned out, none of DH's extended family came, so this was the only wedding related thing they did for us.

His mom doesn't have any girls, so she was really excited about planning. I wasn't really wanting a shower but couldn't let her down. It was just a few hours out of my day and I got some cool stuff, so I say go for it.

You don't have to have another shower.

#4 jlwhite5

jlwhite5
        • 54 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 01:41 PM

i agree with jaimelynne - you only get to do all of this once! showers can be overwhelming, but people want to show you that the love you, and they want to celebrate this amazing time with you - you should let them!

#5 DanielleNDerek

DanielleNDerek
          • VIP Member
          • 18,452 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 01:44 PM

I would let her throw it. But i would talk to your moh first. maybe they could do it together.
            ***Married November 6, 2008***Gavin Born February 28th, 2010***
            Paradisus Palma Real Wedding Review
            Our Professional Wedding Pictures on Snapfish

#6 BachataBride

BachataBride
            • Banned
            • 9,310 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 01:49 PM

If she wants to do it, then I say go for it!! As long as you don't have to pay for it or plan then what do you have to lose? You will make your FMIL so happy...and you'll get presents!! What can be so bad about that!! But I agree...let your MOH know since she wanted to plan one for you...they can plan together!

#7 Hartyt509

Hartyt509
              • 2,262 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 01:59 PM

I wouldn't do it lol If you don't want one at all then why have one now just because FMIL wants one.

Just say I really appreciate the offer but I don't want one, she can hardly get upset with that

#8 Sloan

Sloan
                • 1,279 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 02:08 PM

If you want one, then let her do all the dirty work and planning. If you dont want one, just say "thanks, but no thanks."
                  I let my family, MoH know that, in no uncertain terms that there will be no shower for me - unless it resembles more of a BBQ/co-ed drinking party. However, my FI's brother's girlfriend, who Im sure is my FMIL's secret agent and drives me crazy asked the other day if I would allow a shower and of course I said no. His side of the family is crazy - hehe.

Bottom line - do what you want, not what other people want or think you should do.

#9 KLC77

KLC77
                  • 2,207 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 02:11 PM

If its not the end of the world to you, then I would let her do it. But I would tell her that she has to call your MOH so that she can also be involved in the planning. Then your MOH can do as much or as little as she likes, but I wouldn't leave her out.
                    ~Kelly

Our Awesome Wedding Pics: http://www.delsolpho...ings/kelly&ron/

#10 Maura

Maura

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                    • 5,752 posts
                    • Wedding Location:Westin Los Cabos

Posted 23 September 2008 - 02:13 PM

just do it - my MIL & her friends threw me a shower while we were visiting last christmas and i was so apprehensive about it, but it ended up being fun and we got some $ gifts out of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users