Photo

Wedding Cake

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sportsdog2

sportsdog2
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 07:38 PM

My FI would like a traditional Jamaican wedding cake (fruit/rum cake) and not the free cake offered by ROR. The cake and the ceremony are the only details that he cares about!

Is/has anyone used an outside bakery for their wedding cake? If so, can you recommend a good bakery in Ocho Rios.

I'm sure I'll need to get special permission from the hotel or Chandlyn to have an outside vendor bake and deliver the cake.

.....happy planning ladies!

#2 divadivine25

divadivine25
    • 427 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 07:43 PM

This was my next post! Im also wanting a traditional rum cake, but I havent found a vakery yet, so Im piggy backing on your post Sportsdog!

#3 Sloan

Sloan
      • 1,279 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 10:48 PM

I could be mistaken, but I think I've read in other threads that you get a choice b/w vanilla, chocolate or rum cake. Don't quote me on that though! Probably not as yummy as an outside bakery, either.

#4 kate.com

kate.com

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 8,921 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 11:53 PM

Wow! that is awesome that the cake is a priority- go for it! now I want to come to your wedding for some cake!

#5 bashigyal

bashigyal
          • 64 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:28 PM

Try this person....she is the one who bakes traditional Jamaican wedding cakes for another non-AI venue in Ocho Rios...

Ms. Movery
            (876) 974-2743
            movery34@yahoo.com

#6 sportsdog2

sportsdog2
            • 87 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 10:06 AM

I was not expecting him to have such a strong reaction to the cake choices, but he did. Thanks for the name of the bakery. I'll contact her for more information. If anyone else has a name, please feel free to pass it along.

#7 Myda77

Myda77
              • 821 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 10:01 PM

There was a thread on this a few months ago. You may be able to find some info, hope this helps.

http://bestdestinati...om/forum/t19423
                Maida & Tomas
                Circa 2004 - Our first picture together!

#8 sportsdog2

sportsdog2
                • 87 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:48 AM

I e-mailed Chandlyn and she also gave me Ms. Movery's contact information and she it would be OK to bring in a cake. She (Chandlyn) quoted the starting price for a traditional Jamaican rum cake as $350.00. Ouch! That seems a little high for 10-15 people.

#9 bashigyal

bashigyal
                  • 64 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 01:13 AM

Ok so I'm in Jamaica now, checked out my venue today, and met with Mrs. Movery to taste her cake, as well as the cake of another baker that my venue uses. Mrs. Movery's cake was decent...a lighter fruit pudding, as opposed to a heavier, dense fruit cake that the other baker had. Both tasted ok. But I am very picky...and being Jamaican, I've had some reeeeally good fruit cakes over the years, so I've tasted many others to compare them to. I think you'll like Mrs. Movery's cake. But if you want the name of the other baker and like a heavier cake, I can get that contact info for you. Just let me know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users